Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:28 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  3-D movies of the early 1980's « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3-D movies of the early 1980's  (Read 3039 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »

Metalstorm
Amityville
Friday the 13th
Jaws
The Man Who Wasn't There
Spacehunter
Treasure of the Four Crowns
Comin' At Ya

The best: Spacehunter

The movie holds up well without every little object being thrust at the audience. It's as if the idea to make it a 3-D movie came at the last minute. While it's nothing more than Mad Max on another planet, it''s far and away better than the other 3-D movies on virtually every level.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:58:30 AM »

My favorite of the period was Comin' at Ya. There was more audience interaction due to constantly throwing things at the audience. It was the most fun I have had in a theatre. It is, however, best as a 3-D movie to be seen in a theatre and does not stand well on its own outside of that environment.

Spacehunter was a favorite as well and stands well on its own without the 3-D. It is probably the best for home viewing because of that.

The absolute worst or the group that I have seen was The Man Who Wasn't There. It was an absolute snorefest (I dozed off several times while watching it in the theatre). It is so incoherent that I read a synopsis of it in a magazine to make certain what the plot was.

Others to include in the list are Parasite and the animated sci-fi movie (Stargazer or something like that). There were a few more, but I can't think of the titles right now.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:28:06 AM »

Of those listed I have seen . . .

Metalstorm
The Man Who Wasn't There
Spacehunter
Treasure of the Four Crowns
Comin' at Ya

Of those I saw, "Spacehunter" was the best. Because Menard put his finger on it, and what most 3-D films forget, is that a film has to stand on its own, without the 3-D effects. And "Spacehunter" (IMHO) did this better than any of the others.

Of course, the best film I've seen in 3-D is 1953's "House of Wax." Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder" is also suppose to be quite good, though I've never seen it in 3-D.

And 3-D may be making a mini comeback. Apparently, Tim Burton and Disney are working to convert Burton's "A Nightmare Before Christmas" into a 3-D film.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:46:18 AM »

Iv'e only seen one 3-D movie....the 1960's the MASK...on video! It came with a pair of blue and red lensed set of specs,(which gave me a headache.)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 03:20:48 PM »

House of Wax was re-released in the early 80's to some theaters. I got to see it in 3-D after seeing it on tv many times before. Also in theaters in the early 80's was Andy Warhol's Frankenstein...hilarious movie.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 05:35:13 AM »

Plus there's Spy Kids 3D.... loved that!

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »

Treasure of the Four Crowns was cheesy and used 3D to cover a number of plot holes.  I've never seen Spacehunter in 3D.  In fact I just lost my copy when the guy I loaned it to got fired and I never saw him again.....
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 04:03:53 AM »

I remember the "House of Wax" rerelease, this was when local theaters still bought ad time on TV to air trailers and ads for mostly independent and low budget genre films (a lot of stuff that turns up on this board I remember being advertised like that when I was a kid). I hadn't seen the original at the time and thought from how high-quality the ad looked compared to most of the ads the channel ran for those kind of movies that it was a remake or new version. The ad even gave away part of the ending when the heroine beats on Vincent Price, and his facade cracks and falls away revaeling his true appearance.

I also remember around the time of the 80s 3-D fad that lots of the earlier 3-D films began to air in syndication on the weekends with lots of fanfare and advertising since they had a "new" process that could allow you to see the film in 3-D on TV. I never got to see them this way since you could on get the glasses at 7-11 stores. We didn't have one in our area, and the nearest one was 60 miles away, in the same town as the station airing the films. I never could get relatives and friends who lived or visited there to bring me a pair. And my parents sure as hell weren't going to drive that far for a pair of 3-D glasses, as I was told every time I asked. People I know who said they watched the films on TV in 3-D then said they got lots of headaches and the 3-D effect was very underwhelming.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 04:44:47 AM »

I remember on FOX17, in the early eighties,when FOX was still a novelty station,they had CREATURE from the Black Lagoon,and yes,I hadn't ever even SEEN a 7-11,being waaaay out in the boonies of  swamp town Lawton. (Plus I hadda black and white TV).I watched it anyway...
FOX TV,on its very early wobbly legs,was the first place I saw HITLER-DEAD OR ALIVE,BRIDE of the MONSTER,and the HORROR of PARTY BEACH! Much better than Who WANTS to MARRY a MILLIONAIRE.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:54 AM »

When we would go to Florida on vacation, 7-11s were all over, they had tons of candy racks and great comic racks, so they were like the Holy Grail of convenience stores to my young mind, especially knowing they had 3-D glasses for a time. So much cooler than the rather dull and drab Zippy Marts, Dixie Gas stations and Com-Pacs we had in Alabama. But I think the ones in Huntsville (those tantilizing 60 miles away) were in mostly bad neighborhoods, so even when we did go to Huntsville my parents wouldn't stop there.

The ABC affiliate (WAAY) showed the 3-D movies. Revenge of the Creature or The Creature Walks Among Us and Gorilla at Large were the ones they showed the most. Sunday afternoons after the church shows and lame sticom reruns, but sometimes reruns of Ron Ely in the 1960s Tarzan TV show (How I'd snap up a DVD release just for the nostalgia), and before the Sunday afternoon sports.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  3-D movies of the early 1980's « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.