Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:16:04 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  best movie soundtracks? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: best movie soundtracks?  (Read 16649 times)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14:47 AM »

Licerbus wrote:

"A Clockwork Orange turned me on to classical music, though Walter Carlos' synth score was pretty cool (especially back when I used to drink)."

>
>
>

Drinking aside, are you referring to Wendy Carlos? No, I guess Walter was still her viable persona up until 1979, at least that's what wikipedia says. Wendy/Walter is my favorite synthetic composer. A Clockwork Orange's soundtrack is perfect.

I've seen one name thrown around here a lot though it's his movie I'm actually seeing: almost every single one of Quentin Tarantino's movie have made it onto this board's favorite soundtrack list. Kudos to him! His movies do seem to be able to use the music in a unique and fully assimilated way. Pulp Fiction is my favorite with Jackie Brown as my second.

I only buy the sound tracks I like so I own 2001: A Space Odyssey and Buena Vista Social Club. The latter is up for debate on whether or not it is a movie soundtrack or an independently released album that a movie was based upon but either way the music and the movie are wonderful. I've been looking for A Clockwork Orange's soundtrack at a good price for a while but it hasn't happened yet. I like that soundtrack a lot.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 12:41:59 AM »

Conan the Barbarian
Godzilla Small | Large
(Great clip)
The Mission
The Magnificient Seven
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Death Rides a Horse
Return of Ringo Small | Large
(Check out this trailer. Lots of fun and great Morricone theme music.)
Keoma
Companeros
West Side Story Small | Large

James Bond
Rocky
Halloween
Star Wars
Grease

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 05:43:33 AM »

HELP! (No, I don't need help,I mean the soundtrack to the Beatles soundtrack,which I am lucky enuff to own. )
WILD ANGELS!(Watch the movie again...the music is GREAT!)
PSYCHO!
DEVIL'S REJECTS-I m' sick of Freebird,but in this context,its super cool. And Midnite Rider is always a good song.
LIVE and LET DIE
GIMME SHELTER-the Rolling stones at Altamont!!!!(I like the part in the movie when Jagger's on stage and one of the biker's glaring at Jagger like he wants to kill HIM.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Scott

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 07:54:25 AM »

One of my favorite biker films RCMerchant. Starring Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra. Film was shot at Indian Canyon and Tahquitz Canyon in the Palm Springs area on an Indian reservation at the edge of town. Went there in 2005. Nice waterfall in Tahquitz Canyon. LOST HORIZON was also shot there by Frank Capra.

Wild Angels Trailer Small | Large

dean

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »

It all depends on what type of film I guess.  I have so many soundtracks kicking around here, and quite alot of them are really really good, so it's hard to list a definite favourite, especially considering what type of mood you may be in at the time [I switch many times from different soundtracks of different sounds so it's hard to lock down favourites.]

But what I will do is put out a list of some good ones that don't stray far from the cd player.

Transformers the Movie soundtrack: 80s rock at it's finest.  One of my most favourite of favourite soundtracks!

The work of David Holmes, on soundtracks such as Ocean's 11 and Out of Sight [and to a lesser degree, Ocean's 12].  Great funk sounds.

Swordfish is another good one, mostly done by Paul Oakenfold.  Good for dancey-electro type music.

Requiem For A Dream is another good one.  I have the 'remixed' album where it's essentially electronic remixes of the themes from the original soundtrack.

I won't worry about stating the already used excellent suggestions such as Clockwork, Vangelis and Quentin Tarantino's excellent use of music in his film.

Oh wait, I did... well it's worth noting again.

Some other very worthy mentions are Fifth Element, Run Lola Run, Plunkett and Macleane [very good symphonic track mixed in with some nice beats] and Black Hawk Down.

Plus personal fav compilations such as Strange Days, The Jackal and Kevin Smith movie soundtracks.

Like I said, there's too many to list, but in terms of best, I guess it all depends.  There's classic composers such as Elmer Bernstien, Ennio Morricone and Bernard Hermann.  I've also been getting into Harry Gregson Williams, Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer.

I have wayyyyyyy too many soundtracks to pick a shortlist so I'll leave it there now, but there's plenty that haven't been mentioned, such as classic 50's soundtracks, musicals, famous theme songs and whatnot, but the above are some of the common fav's of mine personally.

Also if any of you are interested in movie soundtracks, there's a great mixed album by "UNKLE" which is called "Edit Music for a film" or something like that [I'm bad with titles]

But it's essentially a dj mix of some terrific movie soundtracks, such as Clockwork orange, but with some contemporary music as well all together.  Very well done and very much worth a listen to.  It's pretty much my favourite Dj mixed album ever, so I highly reccommend it!

Anyways enough rambling from me...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 06:05:56 PM »

What-no "BEN""???? Just kidding!
The soundtrack by Prince for BATMAN really,REALLY sucks.Though I love the original Batman TV show song."BATMAN-DADADADAD-BATMAN-DADADADADA-"
the old SPIDERMAN cartoon! I heard a remake of it done by none other than the RAMONES!
GIGANTOR!GIGANTOR! GIGAAAAAANNNNTORRRR!!!
"King Kong! You know the name of KING KONG! You know the name of KING KONG! Ten times as big as a man!"
Believe it or Not-guilty pleasure time the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie-(I got kids...LOTS of 'em....)the Chili Peppers in the opening parachute scene,"Higher Ground".
   I'm showing my age with the  60's cartoon stuff,but sum things stick with you. I can't remeber last week,but I can remember things that happened 30 or so years ago....God.....I feel YOUNG!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »

What-no "BEN""???? Just kidding!
The soundtrack by Prince for BATMAN really,REALLY sucks.Though I love the original Batman TV show song."BATMAN-DADADADAD-BATMAN-DADADADADA-"
the old SPIDERMAN cartoon! I heard a remake of it done by none other than the RAMONES!
GIGANTOR!GIGANTOR! GIGAAAAAANNNNTORRRR!!!
"King Kong! You know the name of KING KONG! You know the name of KING KONG! Ten times as big as a man!"
Believe it or Not-guilty pleasure time the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie-(I got kids...LOTS of 'em....)the Chili Peppers in the opening parachute scene,"Higher Ground".
   I'm showing my age with the  60's cartoon stuff,but sum things stick with you. I can't remeber last week,but I can remember things that happened 30 or so years ago....God.....I feel YOUNG!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
peter johnson

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 10:50:09 PM »

Not a whole lot on here prior to 1980, is there?
There was music before the '70's even -- before The Beatles even --
North by Northwest, Bernard Hermann
Psycho, also Bernard Hermann
The Third Man, can't remember, but it wasn't all zither music, you know --
King Kong (1933)
Dr. Zhivago -- lush, compelling, just what a soundtrack is supposed to accomplish.
Gone With The Wind (1939) -- without the music, just another costume melodrama --
peter the mad theremin player

I have no idea what this means.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 11:16:47 PM »

I agree!The opening theme to DRACULA(1931) has haunted me for ever...
KING KONG
the bizzare spiratual moaning from WHITE ZOMBIE
the wedding march from BRIDE of FRANKENSTIEN
  I am a confirmed metalhead. I am 44 years old. I have seen Aerosmith,Sabbath,Suicidal Tendencies, White Zombie, Black Flag,Foghat, Joan Jett,the Ozark Mountain Daredevils,blah blahblah....
to limit yourself to ONE genre is a form of self-censorship.
There is so much interesting stuff out there...and a lot of crap.
"To eachhis own" ! EXCELISOR!" (Aint that whut they sed in the old Marvel comic ads?)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
loyal1
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 01:26:50 AM »

Harold and Maude
Pulp Fiction
Natural Born Killers
The Blues Brothers
Grease
Rock and Roll High School
Fantasia
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 06:18:35 AM »

I agree on "The Third Man", but listening to the music too often will drive you insane.

The Professionals
Sorceror- fantastic creepy Tangerine Dream soundtrack, before they went all new age-ish. I own the CD but learned to not listen to it while driving at night if there is even a HINT of fog, you will get paranoid and think you will crash.
The soundtracks to the first two Patlabor anime films.
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels awesome mix of tunes and dialogue bits. Plus that great guitar version of the "Zorba the Greek" theme.
Lots of Ennio Moricone but I'll just add "Once Upon a Time in the West"
Koyaaanisqatsi - music by Philip Glass
Passion - Music for the Last Temptation of Christ by Peter Gabriel. Not an exact soundtrack, but awesome music anyway.
The Big Lebowski
Akira - if only for the music to the opening cycle chase, perfect use of music for a film.

Did I miss mentions of "Forbidden Planet" and "The Exorcist"? Neither film would have lodged in the minds of viewers as strongly without their music, IMO.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
peter johnson

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »

, , , and I don't know who did this, but the music to Val Lewton's "Curse of The Cat People" was and is wholly evocative and menacing -- especially the scene where the "ghost-cat" mother entertains her "daughter"(?) in the snow --
brrr . . .
peter theremin

I have no idea what this means.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 11:41:08 PM »

Does "Maximum Overdrive" count?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 05:02:17 AM »

Some how I have never seen CAT PEOPLE (1942) or CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (1944). Both are suppose to be excellent films. They are now on my list.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 05:18:48 AM »

DAM! I forgot! WHO MADE WHO!!! AC?DC!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  best movie soundtracks? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.