Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
714338 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Equinox « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Equinox  (Read 2529 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 01, 2006, 04:23:25 PM »

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the DVD of this last night.  My previous viewing of the film was from many years ago, I believe that I caught it on late night cable.

The characters do not develop during the film, but you can quickly identify with them in some ways.  A funny thing that my wife and I caught was how antagonistic it seems the relationships are between the men and women, especially the two who are boyfriend/girlfriend.

The primary reason to watch this movie is for the monsters.  I wish we had seen a bit more of the strange land octopus demon, because that was something straight out of a Lovecraft story.  The ape monster was also impressive, though woefully vulnerable to a teenager with a crude wooden spear.  I was also surprised how many demons can be annoyed by being pelted with rocks.

Jim's encounter with Asmodeus was also a fun scene.  I mean the first time they meet each other and Jim finally realizes that the forest ranger is more than he appears (when Asmodeus begins to demand the book).

I also liked the fact that you can put up giant crosses for defense against flying demons, just lilke they used barrage balloons in wars long past.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 05:43:08 AM »

I think Sam Rami saw this movie...lots of it are reminisant of the EVIL DEAD.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 06:52:59 AM »

I thought the primary reason to watch this movie was to see Herb Tarlek in a horror flick.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:55:56 AM »

I LOVE EQUINOX!  It is definitely one of the so-bad-its-good variety.  Did you pick up the Criterion DVD with the original student film as well as the re-edited theatrical version with the Park Ranger/Asmodeus addition?  I so want to pick up that DVD.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:56:49 PM »

Why have I never heard of this?  It sounds like gold.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »

Gerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I LOVE EQUINOX!  It is definitely one of the
> so-bad-its-good variety.  Did you pick up the
> Criterion DVD with the original student film as
> well as the re-edited theatrical version with the
> Park Ranger/Asmodeus addition?  I so want to pick
> up that DVD.

Gerry, I sure did and the movie looks pretty darn good.  Some of the extras are amazingly tacked on, but it really is a great deal.  I remember when you announced (I think it was you) that the movie was coming to DVD.

The addition of Asmodeus works pretty well.  The movie could do without it, but it does not detract from the film.

RCMerchant, I agree, Raimi must have seen this prior to making "The Evil Dead."  He made a dramatically different movie, but you can see some of the basic ideas and even scenes in "Equinox."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:12:28 AM »

I like everyone on this board very much.
However, I really really really dislike this film.
I've listened to the justifications, etc., "oh, it was fans who wished to make a Harryhausen horror movie & homage" etc. etc. etc.
I hate it.
It just sucks on so many levels -- the sound is bad, the acting is nonexistant, the plot is also absent, the shot of the castle from a distance that is never referenced again is just plain dumb, the only scary part of the whole film is when the science-fiction author is drooling on the girl.
I have a friend who was sooo happy to get the Criterion double DVD of this, showing the original and the re-release of it & he made me sit down & watch it.
God, I was hoping that time -- I saw the second version when  it first came out in the theaters, 1971 or so -- would have modified my view.  Nope.  This is swill, and time has not modified that opinion.
Really really hate it.  Just a godawful piece of poo.  Why  bother?  
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »

The only thing I remember about this movie is Frank Bonner (billed in Equinox by his real name Frank Boers).

My older brother (by 12 years) was sitting at the drive in watching this and exclaimed "Hell, that's ol' Frank Boers!"  They had played together as children. I went to school with his cousins Celia and Donna.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 12:31:57 PM »

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »

Raimi denies seeing this until after production of The Evil Dead (yeah, right).  I have often picked it up, but the retail pricetag sticks in my throat.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »

How can ya NOT love this movie!? Giant monsters,demons,slobbering madmen,bizzare camera work...WOW! Useless info fact: Forry Ackerman supplies they voice on the tape recorder!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Equinox « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.