Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:59:44 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Reb Brown IS Strike Commando! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reb Brown IS Strike Commando!  (Read 2277 times)
AkiraTubo
« on: February 12, 2002, 02:15:40 PM »

Reb Brown is probably best (?) known as Captian America in those two, awful, TV movies.  His signature acting bit is going "Bleaaaah!" during action scenes.

Why do I mention Mr. Brown?  Because I just saw a movie called Strike Commando, a thoroughly unpleasant little affair.  Reb plays Michael Ransom, a commando operating during the Vietnam war.  Yes, this is one of those '80s Vietnam flicks, made to capitalize on the success of "First Blood" parts I & II.

The movie starts with Reb's squad getting killed due to extreme incompetence.  Reb washes down river and is found by a badly-dubbed Vietnamese youth.  The people of the boy's village (including a really ugly French missionary) view Reb as their "saviour" and beg him to get them out of the jungle, away from those awful Communists.

Reb agrees.  On the way out, he gets most of them killed and deserts the rest when a chopper shows up to rescue him.  Wow, what a hero.

Reb says he saw some Russian and Chinese communists assisting the Vietnamese.  This news is treated with utter shock and disbelief.  I mean, really, why would communists with strong interests in the region support these other communists?  It makes no sense.

Reb is sent back to get photographic proof of these supposed Communists.  He gets all those sent with him killed, then goes back to the village, where everyone is asleep with red paint splatterd on them.  Wait, I think they're supposed to be dead.  No! -- that guy just moved . . . and that guy, too.  They're okay.

Reb, apparently upset that everyone's asleep, cradles the little boy and shouts "Dancougar!" at the top of his lungs.  This is especially amusing, since I had just tried to watch an anime series called "Dancougar," which was the worst anime I'd ever seen.

Later, Reb is captured by Dancougar, the giant leader of the communists.  They torture Reb, make him pretend to receive electric shocks, force him to take a dump while a blowtorch is held several feet away from him, and compel him to watch Dancougar do push-ups.  A dying POW is thrown in the cell with Reb, who proceeds to fondle the little guy as he dies.  The man's corpse is left there to rot for weeks, all the better to torture Reb.

Gosh, it sounds like the movie actually managed to do something effective, doesn't it?  Several things spoil the mood.  First, we see that the "corpse" is still breathing.  Second, Reb is sitting on a rock which looks exactly like a toilet bowl in a manner which suggests he's having a satisfying bowl movement.  Third, Reb gags and moves away from the toilet - er, rock - and toward the corpse.  These things add up to make it seem like Reb is more grossed out by a smelly crap than the decaying body.

Reb escapes, kidnaps a female communist, and makes it to a rendezvous point.  However, Reb's colonel (or general, his rank isn't too clear) betrays him!  Reb shoves the woman in front of him to take the bullet, then shoots down the colonel's chopper.  He also punches Dancougar over a waterfall. (Insert triumphant Bleahhh! here)  That's kind of odd, seeing as how they weren't anywhere near a waterfall when the fight began.

The movie ends.  Wait, no . . . there's still some left.  Sometime after the war, Reb goes to Manila because the traitorous Colonel has set up shop there.  Reb marches into his office and blows him up with a grenade launcher.  During this scene, Reb looks depressed enough to off himself.  Hey, look, Dancougar is still alive.  No problem, Reb depressedly sticks a grenade in Dancougar's mouth and blows him up.  Dancougar's thoughts on the subject: "Damnedski Americanski!"

Reb, on the verge of tears, marches off into the sunset while claiming that the movie was in no way a rip-off of the Rambo flicks.

There is fun to be had here but only with friends and even then not much.  And I wasn't exaggerating about Reb's depression in the last segment.  My guess is the movie ran out of money before they could finish and Reb was damn glad of it.  Then, who knows how much later, he got a call and it went like this:  "Reb!  Good news!  We've got money to finish Strike Commando!  Reb?  Reb?"  Poor Reb couldn't respond, for he was crying.  He was crying because he had signed a contract and could not refuse.  He had, in effect, signed away his soul.

Verdict: Avoid at all costs.
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 04:36:09 PM »

It seems that Reb likes to make false motivation yells when under pressure and that is just pure entertainment.  I keep meaning to see his version of "Captain America."

Andrew
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 04:43:54 AM »

The presence of Reb Brown guarantees a night of unimaginable delights for the bad film buff. His deadpan shrieking throughout Space Mutiny outshines even the bile-provoking antics of Cameron Mitchell and John Phillip Law, and is perfectly matched with the talents (snicker) of that hideous old bat Cissy Cameron. I dare say Space Mutiny may well be the most perfectly cast (bad) movie ever. I would love to see him paired up with that blond pan-flash from Deanzilla, but I imagine she fled Hollywood in tears after the unanimous reviews of her grand starring debut...
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 05:02:46 PM »

Space Mutiny...I love the fact that you can see blue sky through the windows in the factory that sets the 'space ship'
Law Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2002, 12:03:23 PM »

Now lets be fair to good ole Reb. At least his role in Uncommon Valor was kind of fun. Any movie with him and Tim "Jack Deth" Thomerson, Fred "Remo Williams" Ward, and Tex "Leonard Smalls" Cobb has to be good.

I am still laughing over his rolling and screaming dismount from a floor waxer in Space Mutiny (and from the brick walls inside the spaceship).
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Reb Brown IS Strike Commando! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.