Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:44:07 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  is the age of the "bad movie" over? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: is the age of the "bad movie" over?  (Read 20243 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: October 28, 2006, 11:39:41 PM »

Do any of you think the capacity for the production so-called "bad movies" is possible anymore?

I mean think about it... 70's style crap special effects that don't quite work...dialogue that is so badly overdubbed that you can't help but laugh...plot twists that are so inconceivable that only a prosthetic dummy would fall for them.......etc. etc....

Film making has got to the stage now where all these "unintentional" mistakes can be  ironed out and glossed over during the editing stage with technology. even on a low budget.

when was the last time you saw a film that made you laugh out loud due to it's sheer incompetence?

the only "bad movies" that are made today are the ones that are genuinely bad, i.e. you really wouldn't want to see them again...not in the traditional "bad movie" sense.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:02:48 AM »

Is it over??
No way!

Just look at filmmakers like our beloved Uwe Boll & Paul Anderson.
They have elevated bad movie making to a whole new level!

Yes they're bad...but not "bad..bad" like the oldies.

Bad filmmaking will never stop...it will only evolve into a newer kind of badness.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:18:48 AM »

As a fan of shorts, indie productions & student films, I believe that if one is patient enough, with just the right level of idle curiosity, it is still possible.

With the advent of the newer editing & sfx technologies that you mentioned, as well as their affordability & ease of use, it's my opinion that we are now beginning to see examples of people & companies putting a little too much faith in them.

The most prominent recent example I can think of would be Timothy Hines version of The War of the Worlds. There are quite a few people on the imdb boards who just can't leave this film alone.

And let's not forget that some of the now classic films that Andrew's reviewed, such as The Creeping Terror & Manos - The Hands of Fate, were made by small timers who really had no idea what they were doing. I believe that we are now seeing something similar with home video productions, such as the works of the Polonia Brothers & Ikuzo Studios, and the Internet is dotted with all sorts of examples of rather promising looking works from "parent's garage" types of productions.

Also, with the advent of the internet, it's getting easier to find obscure productions, even recent ones, that someone wishes they'd never done.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Ash

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:42:35 AM »

Lilcerberus is right.
I've collected several friends on the Badmovies.org Myspace page who produced, directed or starred in current B-movies.

Myspace has an entire seperate area titled, "Myspace Film".
In it, you can find all kinds of seriously BAD films!

Just check out our friends list on Myspace.
"The Ghastly Love of Johnny X"
"The Horror of Cornhole Cove"
"Pot Zombies"

Yes....they're still making horrible B-movies!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:06:12 AM »

Ken Begg and I have talked about this a few times.  What it comes down to is that studio productions, no matter how small, are often competent enough to be boring bad - rather than gloriously awful.  A big problem with no budget films these days is that they are such half-hearted efforts as to be unappealing.  "The Creeping Terror" had no budget, but the people who made it did expend some effort.  You can tell that they were trying to make a movie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
daveblackeye15

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:14:28 AM »

There will always be crappily made movies. I think you have nothing to worry about.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:26:32 AM »

The age of the 70's/80's style b-film (some of which were actually pretty good) is over. Nowadays, when people look for bad movies all they need do is turn to ASSylum productions. All include bad dialogue/acting, obviously ripped-off plots, technobabble, plotholes, and to top it all off, halfassed digital monsters to replace the halfassed rubber suits in days of yore. In a way, Leigh Scott and David Michael Latt are the new Corman and Arkoff, just without the creativity and social messages.

And remember, commercials for DVDs that you haven't seen gracing any local matinees are usually purty bad bets.

Oh wait! I change my mind, there may be a FEW old-school B-Movies still around if "The Gingerdead Man" is any indication!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:39:47 AM »

The unintentional "bad movie" is harder to find as the awareness of camp and kitsch has gone up and irony has pervaded our pop culture. Many of the people making low budgets films these days grew up as fans of bad movies and are versed in the cliches, formulas, and references of the past. It's reached the point that throwing the names of directors good and bad into movies has become old.

There are still the well-intentioned amateurs and people with more money and access to quality equipment than talent out there. They just don't have the drive-ins and grindhouses anymore to have their stuff dumped out onto by folks out to make a buck. Like it was said above they go straight to video, direct market them, or sell or distribute them online.

There also the folks like the ones who made "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter" who made a bad movie on purpose, to be enjoyed by fans, or be mocked by ones who think they failed , and to confuse and outrage people who either wouldn't "get" it to begin with or have a lower threshold of shock than they thought.

Bad movies are still out there, it's probably the case of that the old rules just don't apply so much. Will fans be discussing, appreciating, and having festivals around those SciFi "originals" and other recent films some day? I have no idea, the lifecycle for anything in pop culture is so much shorter now as we bombard our shortening attention spans with more and more stuff.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:18:04 AM »

word, that was really well put yaddo42, cant front on anything you said there -  except I never want to see "jesus christ:vampire hunter", that really sounds like a move in the wrong direction, bad-movie wise, . :o(

who knows, maybe in 2040 kids will be in hysterics at Jurrasic Park and Terminator II, et al. that remains to be seen. all that we can hope for is a worldwide total nuclear meltdown and folks having to start from scratch making films on super 8 with half written scripts again...they say things go in cycles, I guess.

Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 01:26:06 AM »

Sounds like what I've been talking about a lot in my reviews of late. Even the bad movies these days tend to be bad in the same uninspired ways. Its rare that you come across a film of spectacular badness these days. Most a bad but in a bland way. I can personally think of no better example than the Sci-Fi Channel's original movies. They're almost consistantly terrible but rarely in memorable fashion.

To answer the question that started this thread, as long as there are movies there will always be bad movies, but finding a true "so bad it's good" movie is becoming harder and rarer.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »

I agree that entertainingly bad is becoming a narrower mark to hit.
Campy is hard to hit upon as a fluke occurrence.

We're in broad agreement that there will always be crap movies out there, but the awesomely bad ones (the ones that are stunningly bad, when there are the clear hallmarks of "good" intentions) are not coming up as often.

Bad CG, bad acting, bad writing will last forever of course.  But I don't think that's what we're really talking about here.

Are there many indie films that are really, awesomely suck-ass bad?   Like "Kiss and the Phantom of the Park" bad?  Like the Star Wars Christmas special bad?    I'm talking serious HP Lovecraft level blasphemy from beyond the stars bad...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »

> Are there many indie films that are really,
> awesomely suck-ass bad?   Like "Kiss and the
> Phantom of the Park" bad?  Like the Star Wars
> Christmas special bad?    I'm talking serious HP
> Lovecraft level blasphemy from beyond the stars
> bad...

actually i read this thread again and Mr. Briggs makes a good point: "The Gingerdead man" . I forgot I saw this. its a new film, and it fits into the category pretty well. it's "bad" bad. check that one out.

overall though, I think my point stands.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »

When someone DOES try to make a campy, just-for-fun 'bad' movie, look at the reaction it gets.  My example is SNAKES ON A PLANE.  Some get it, many don't.  I think it's possible filmmakers are looking at the response and saying:

"uh uh, I am not going to waste my time.  Let me just re-hash AMERICAN PIE or pump out yet another DIE HARD-esque actioner and earn a living."

The question I think can be rephrased as "what motivates film makers into making films."  The B movies we love came largely from the love of making films.  The director might have had a message (all the anti-nuke 50's giant insect movies, for example) or simply had a story to tell, or simply wanted to tell an old story in a new visual way.  What motivates contemporary film making?

Money.  And not that from the box-office or DVD rentals.  Nah.  The modern era of film is a 90-150 minute commercial.  There is often product tie-in like action figures, McD's happy meals, and of course a BIGGIE, video games.  It all too often is not about the film anymore - the film is just the vehicle.

Just some thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Ash

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »

Ulthar was pretty much right on in his last post.

The one exception I'd say is the guys over at Troma.
Those guys don't seem to care what anybody thinks.  They'll make tons of Grade Z movies and money never really seems to be a factor.
I like that about them.
They seem to be out to make the best/worst films they can despite obvious budget restrictions.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 11:13:49 PM »

Pardon me for getting all whiney & everything here, but how come I'm the only one on this board who ever brings up Hines' WOTW?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425638
This guy wasn't going for the whole "intentional camp" thing, he was actually serious, and pretty narcissistic about it, too.

I just don't see how anyone can believe that there are no more laughably bad movies when I've seen a three hour "epic" based on a classic novel that features a guy with a fake mustache who's somehow able to overact & mumble at the same time while watching inept extras turn into dancing skeletons.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  is the age of the "bad movie" over? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.