Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:22:52 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Viewings  (Read 2042 times)
Andrew
« on: February 12, 2002, 06:45:30 PM »

Being laid up with a "whopping case of the flu" (I think those were the Navy doc's exact words) made my choice of what to do simple:  drowse and watch movies.  Did a lot more of the prior activity than the latter, but it still provided food for thought.

The Wicker Man
I had only heard of this movie before and looked forward to the special edition DVD.  The singing almost got on my nerves, until I realized it was used so often to imply the island inhabitants' penchant for simple pleasures and ceremony.  Then everything fit right in and I started the movie over to get it right.  What the ending would be exactly was unclear to me until very close to the finish, so that was quite enjoyable.  For those unfamiliar with the story, here goes:

An English police officer flies to Summerisle to investigate the report of a missing girl.  The inhabitants are not helpful and, at first, deny that Rowan ever existed.  Even the mother!  When the officer finally discovers proof of the girl attending school more strangeness crops up, with people saying she turned into a hare or other nonsense.  Meanwhile, the Christian Englishman is horrified by various Pagan rituals he witnesses on the island.  This is a neat mystery/thriller.

Rats: Night of Terror
David Emery (many thanks to him for all he does to help me with the site) has been after me to see this film for a long time.  The DVD finally arrived and seeing people have buckets of live rats dumped over them, time and time again, is actually pretty funny.  Almost three centuries after nuclear war devastated Earth a small gang finds a research facility.  Inside are hydroponics, potable water, and gnawed corpses.  Near the end of the movie they find a voice recorder and the (at that point) survivors must have been thinking, "Why couldn't we have found this yesterday?"

Laser Mission
Are they in Cuba or Africa?  Who ever thought that Ernest Borgnine could carry that accent without making the audience laugh?  How do the assassins keep finding them in the middle of the desert?  Is it just me, or does her thigh holster appear and disappear at random?  Last, but not least, the main bad guy has more lives than Jason or Freddy Krueger.

Andrew
Funk, E.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 06:54:07 PM »

Yeah, alot of people REALLY liked the Wickerman and though I liked it I didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips. The music that was not apart of the scene (the folksinging done on camera) really got in the way of me being able to get fully engrossed in the film. Otherwise it was well done for the time period and budget. I never thought I'd see the day Mr Lee would sing, dance all in drag! LOVED IT! And the ending was wonderfully morally ambiguous.
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 07:37:18 PM »

THE WICKER MAN is one of my all time favorites.  The more you watch it the more you'll get out of it.  There is a lot of terrific symbolism and foreshadowing that goes on.  I bought the Anchor Bay special edition DVD in the woodcut box that has both the theatrical and extended cuts of the movie (the latter is the better), and haven't regretted the investment for an instant.

There's a spoiler-free review on my site if anyone is interested:

Review of THE WICKER MAN

Be very careful of what you read about this film before you see it.  You definitely don't want it spoiled for you.
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 12:30:52 AM »

I was laid up in the hospital a few years and got a friend to rent a bunch of my favortie sci-fi flicks for me. You have not seen "Aliens" until you've seen it on morphine! Highly entertaining.
Brian Ringler
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 12:14:24 PM »

There have been multiple times I've contemplated buying the wicker man but I've always found other movies to get first.
StatCat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2002, 05:22:38 PM »

Rats is truly a horrible film from what I've heard. In several parts in Rats they actually used Guinea pigs painted in rat shades. It was made by Bruno Mattei who also did another one of your favorites Andrew, "Night of the Zombies" lol and Zombi 3 (Anchor bay released Night of the zombies as Hell of the Living dead with rats recently) Mattei is a master of crap movies. I have the hell of the living dead dvd and I think he mentions he has done around 80 films, many of which I'm sure I would never want to see.
David
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2002, 08:48:25 PM »

Rats: Night Of Terror on DVD? There is a God.

Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine, and probably my favorite of the post-apocalyptic genre.

Witness the fake rats on a treadmill!

Feel Kurt's wrath as he puts his friends out of their misery!

Cower from the room with the red light! IT'S FULL OF RATS! TRUST US!

I'm all misty.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.