Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:46:35 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Raids Again « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Godzilla Raids Again  (Read 2328 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 02, 2006, 02:50:50 AM »

I recently got the Japanese language version with English subtitles.  It sucks less than the 50s English dub only in that it doesn't have never-ending narration.

This movie is barely 80 minutes long, and they are very, very long minutes.  Most of the movie is people sitting around and talking in various locations.  It takes quite a long time for the monster action to really start.

Strangely, the monster scenes are undercranked, which makes the monsters look really freakin' fast.  Usually, Toho overcranked its monster scenes to slow them down and give the beasts the illusion of great mass.  My theory is that the undercranking was a mistake and Toho didn't feel like spending the money to rebuild the city sets and reshoot the scenes.

Godzilla and Angilas fight.  The fight ends.  Then we get a lot more of characters sitting around and talking (very slowly, mind you) in various locations.  Finally, somebody spots Godzilla on an island made of ice.  The JADF drops enough missiles to bury Godzilla under ice.

Woo.

The End

This movie is an utter bomb.  You'd need a geologic timescale to measure the pacing.  The original 1954 Godzilla was slow-moving at first, too, but when Godzilla finally got around to smashing stuff, it was good from there until the end.  Stuff gets smashed here, too, but it isn't very memorable, the quality of the special effects has dropped hugely, and the monster combat (the first since Son of Kong in 1933?) is ruined by the aforementioned undercranking.  The human melodrama is even weaker than usual here.

The only point of interest is to note how differently Toho handled its monster movies before the standard template was fully developed, before Godzilla was a big "name".  There's no real attempt to give Godzilla or Angilas any personality, they're just large, powerful, dumb animals.  They aren't cute, they aren't good or evil, they're just doing their thing, completely unaware of the trouble they're causing those poor, little humans.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »

Actually the special effects genius, Eiji Tsuburaya liked the speed of the monsters. But you were right it was a mistake except they liked the effect and kept it. I think slow and lumbering is the best but I liked what they were trying to get at with this movie.

I asked for it for christmas and await. But since you don't like it at least the much better Godzilla vs. Mothra is out too.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:02:33 PM »

I always thought slow and lumbering was okay for stomping cities, but when the monsters fight, things ought to move a little faster at least- are these not animals fighting to the death here?

The best idea would be for the monsters to move slowly at first, then gradually speed up as they "awaken" or grow more powerful. Since most monster fights happen towards the end of the movie, it would allow for better action between the two (or more) combatants.

Realistically, the suit design has a lot to do with this as well- Godzilla was designed for menace, not action.  Jet Jaguar, King Seesar, the first Mechagodzilla, and to some degree, Gigan were all designed for faster fights. Godzilla was designed for building crunching mostly.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »

I don't mind the monsters moving at "normal" speed, but the undercranking made the action in this movie look like a Three Stooges routine.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:52:31 PM »

The choppy movement of the creatures due to the filming speed does detract from the film.  I think that the main reason to see this is for the value of seeing both the first Godzilla fighting another monster battle and also the ice grave that they seal Godzilla inside.  Otherwise, any sane person will skip ahead to watch "Godzilla vs. Mothra."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »

Yeah, I was rather impressed by the "burial by ice" scene at the end of the film. I can't believe though that Godzy was such a bonehead not to realize his breath would easily have gotten him out of that scrape if he'd used it earlier. Big and dumb, even in his own time.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:36:48 AM »

akiratubo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't mind the monsters moving at "normal"
> speed, but the undercranking made the action in
> this movie look like a Three Stooges routine.

...with Godzilla as Moe, Rodan as Larry, Gamera as Curly, and Anguirus as Shemp 8-)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Raids Again « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.