Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You learn something new every day « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You learn something new every day  (Read 5368 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 02, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »

Odd, but I had checked Jack Palance's IMDB profile and noticed something.  It listed him as being awarded the purple heart.  Apparently this was after his B-24 bomber (WWII) caught fire during a training flight and he was seriously burned.

However, while looking up information on Mr. Palance, I found an entry for Russell Johnson (The Professor).  He received a purple heart after being wounded by enemy fire; his B-24 bomber was shot down bombing Japanese targets in the Philippines.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:10:45 PM »

You may already know this, but Eddie Albert (Oliver Wendell Douglas from Green Acres) was involved in the invasion at Normandy, pulling the wouded out of the water. He is credited with saving a fair number of people. That impressed me when I learned about it.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
peter johnson

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

A lot of celebs from a certain era have long service records that they don't go into very often --
Comedian Jonathan Winters saw lots of action in the Pacific as a Marine, and quite probably suffered mentally in his later years in part due to all the gore he was privvy to during those battles.
I'm told George Gobel, and a bunch of other borscht comics went into clowning in part to combat their war memories.  Don't know if true first-hand, but sounds plausible.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »

I had once heard that Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood) was a sniper in WWII with quite a commendable service record.  As far as I can tell, that is a fairly widespread rumor.    Apparently, the rumor has circulated also in regard to Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo). Unfortunately,  neither is true, but at least Keeshan has a record of having served in the military.

Sad.  For some reason, I really wanted to believe that about Fred Rogers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Neville

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »

As Peter said, many actors served in the army during WWII or Korea. I believe Lee Marvin saw action as a marine in the Pacific theatre during WWII, although he probably was very young. I remember John Boorman mentioning that on an interview. He also mentioned Marvin was still traumatised from events he had witnessed or taken part into his service.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »

After Bob Keeshan died, I heard a local TV host idiot repeat the urban legend that Keeshan had actually saved Lee Marvin's life.

I saw the documentary about Marvin and Boorman that aired on AMC several years ago. Marvin was wounded in combat on the island of Saipan. IIRC shrapnel barely missed his sciatic nerve (accounts online say he was hit there), and he was evaced face down, he was hit in the backside, which he said shamed him. Also many if not most of his platoon were killed during the same action that he was wounded in. This increased his feelings of guilt.

Brilliant British comedian, actor, and author, and Monty Python influence Spike Milligan served in the 56th Heavy regiment Royal Artillery in WWII. He was wounded in combat and suffered from shell shock. He later wrote several volumes of memoirs with titles like: "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall", "Rommel: Gunner Who? A Confrontation in the Desert", "Monty: His Part in My Victory" and "Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall".

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 12:00:45 AM »

I can just imagine Mr. Rogers, in his friendly voice, saying something to the effect of, "The target stands up and..." **BANG** "...goes right back down again.  That was a headshot neighbor. I am sure he didn't feel anything.  How do you feel today?"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:15 AM »

"Can you say 'One shot....One kill?' I knew you could."

"Police your brass, boys and girls, it's not nice to litter."

"Speedy delivery? I'll give you a Speedy Delivery, in a full metal jacket."

"Lady Elaine is going down. With extreme prejudice."

Now I'm imagining some kind of twisted "Apocalypse Now" spoof:
"Trolley Trolley was to take me up river into the Land of Make Believe. King Friday had gone off the reservation, setting up his own private army among the natives, slaughtering anyone who opposed him, cutting off all contact with MACV-SOG. CID delivered a dossier to me to play on Picture Picture, Friday had been in country for years, he was hard, living on the knife's edge. I had been back here, getting soft, drinking too much milk, changing my shoes and sweaters like any of it really mattered....."

This is too fun, I should stop.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »

Spike Milligan:
"When I got to the train after completing basic training, I was issued a white feather and a picture of Hitler, with "This is the Enemy!" written across the front.  I went from car to car on the train, but couldn't find him anywhere . . ."
Time was, one could only find the first volume of Milligan in America.  Years later, in an ashram in India, I found the other volumes, without covers, sitting beside a toad-infested fountain.  What became of the toads, I have no idea . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:44 AM »

Check out Charles Durning's record. Three Purple Hearts and a Silver Star. He was at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. If you have ever seen the movie "Battle of the Bulge"  with Henry Fonda, there is a sequence where some captured Americans are executed by the Germans, but one young officer escapes (played by James McArthur). That character is based on Durning.

Read the article

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:37 AM »

I believe that Donald Pleasance was a member of the British Air Force (what is that called, the AAF?  I can't remember) but he was shot down, captured and tortured by the Germans.  

I had a really neat email the other day about this very thing, WWII era stars and their service records.  It was really interesting.  Of course they talked about Jimmy Stewart and Audie Murphy, but it mentioned Donald Pleasance, Eddie Albert, Clark Gable, and loads of other people.

Amanda
raj

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »

RAF Amanda - Royal Air Force.
The US airforce in WWII was still attached to the Army, it was the Army Air Corp.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You learn something new every day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.