Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:35:11 PM
714341 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's my karma? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What's my karma?  (Read 15992 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 05:17:46 AM »

Forgive me for the short earlier post.
I was too tired to write a more lengthy reply.

I appreciate what you're saying ulthar and thanks for being friendly about it.
I just don't care for this karma feature and I think this board would be better off without it.
We never really needed it before...I don't think we need it now.
My opinion of course.

I think I'll follow your advice and just not use it.

And thanks to whoever put me back up to 1 karma.

Oh I was soooooo tempted to press the boo hiss button just to bring you back down again just to annoy you, but thought that it could have been a dangerous thought to poke the beast!   Hatred

The karma function, whilst possibly misused, seems to serve an odd, yet positive purpose.  Positive because it makes some folk feel better that 'they're getting noticed' I suppose, odd because it just seems like an odd thing to have here.  Personally, whilst I don't mind having it, I also don't mind not having it.

But if it serves up a bit of entertainment when Ash gets another negative karma point [or whatever they're called] then I'm all for it!!   TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 07:42:32 AM »

Ash, are you controverisal and an envelope-pusher IRL? Don't you run the risk of alienating or irritating others there and hearing about it, this is kind of the same thing. Seems to me at least an envelope pusher is usually unconcerned with what others think; it's the point they are making, the discussion that results, or the thoughts they stimulate that matter. To me it's the difference between Dave Chappelle and say Carlos Mencia, one pushed the envelope of comedy, the other just pushes buttons.

The fact that you are concerned about negative karma here is a good sign of sorts. I would be worried about someone who sought to gather negative karma responses, that person would just be a troll or an attention whore.

As the format has been explained it sounds like a way to support good, interesting, and insightful posts or to let others know if they are being rude or out of line rather than playing favorites like high school kids and their cliques. Besides I trust Andrew enough to believe that if he thinks the system is being abused he will change or disable it. Would you prefer an ignore list like some boards have? That could get really petty.

IIRC, you were glad that the number to times a post has been edited feature isn't on the new version of the board.

Then again after seeing the karma system I was surprised mine was anything other than zero, good or bad. Count me in as one of the "I get noticed?" folks. I'm not going to sweat what my rating is for now, life's too short.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Menard
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »

...an attention whore.

I see no need to bring me into this conversation.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 06:19:11 AM »

Touche', Menard, Touche'.

I'm almost tempted to use the "cheers" smiley.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 07:05:34 AM »

No Menard...I'm not an attention whore.
(could you have made your point any more obvious using my own picture?)

I guess that when stating my opposition to this karma feature, I should have written that I was more "outspoken" than the usual regulars here...which makes me more likely to receive negative karma votes.

I'll now ask you politely Menard....please remove my image from your avatar and never again use my image or my likeness in any way.
Use your own picture.
I didn't give you permission to use mine.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:44:34 PM by Ashthecat » Logged
Menard
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »

No Menard...I'm not an attention whore.
(could you have made your point any more obvious using my own picture?)

I personally found it quite insulting.

I guess that when stating my opposition to this karma feature, I should have written that I was more "outspoken" than the usual regulars here...which makes me more likely to receive negative karma votes.

I'll now ask you politely Menard....please remove my image from your avatar and never again use my image or my likeness in any way, shape or form.
Use your own picture.
I didn't give you permission to use mine.

Consider it done Ash.

And no, I was referring to myself as an attention whore, not you. My apologies if in any way I gave you the impression that I was referring to you.
Ash

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »

No problem at all.
When reading your earlier post, I thought you were referring to me.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »

HEY!!! I just noticed I can use the karma feature, allright! BounceGiggle

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
DeepBlueNothing
Dedicated Viewer

Ducks say moo!

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 05:12:32 AM »

My two cents on the Karma points. Smile

Ok, I started posting a couple of weeks ago, and I thought you would get Karma points if you solved some of movies people asked about. I did manage to solve one movie (yay me) because I was very familiar with it. But, did I get one single karma point for solving it? No. And I think karma points should be at least given out by Andrew whenever you happen to solve a movie. Bonus points if you solve two or more someone posts about in one thread. And more bonus points for getting your review posted.

Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 05:38:41 AM »

Well, I think that there is an unspoken etiquette regarding karma which most people do follow. Was the person who posted the question in the help me forum a regular visitor or just a guest. A guest probably isn't concerned about the karma button. Andrew should not be required to dole out karma in a noted set of rules. You will get karma over time, but don't go looking for it because it doesn't work that way. Everybody here probably has made posts deserving of a karma point but go unheralded. You will get karma over time if you stick it out.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Ash

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 05:48:05 AM »

I agree with Justy.
There have been several times where I've helped someone identify a title and got no karma for it.
I don't really expect people to give me karma...but it is a nice gesture.
As a rule, whenever I post a question in the "What Was That Film?" board, I usually give out karma to the first few people who help out in that thread. (assuming only 2-3 people respond)
If a lot of people answer it, then I give karma to the first person who answered correctly.
Sometimes I'll state that I gave them karma.  Other times I don't.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »

Karma comes as it does.  Over time, if you post things that people think are funny, insightful, interesting, or informative (Slashdot, thou art prior art), people will give you karma now and then. 

Don't really worry about it.  Just post about the things that interest you, or when you want to debate a point that someone else made.  Karma is just here to be fun and provide an avenue to receive feedback.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
odinn7

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

My two cents on the Karma points. Smile

Ok, I started posting a couple of weeks ago, and I thought you would get Karma points if you solved some of movies people asked about. I did manage to solve one movie (yay me) because I was very familiar with it. But, did I get one single karma point for solving it? No. And I think karma points should be at least given out by Andrew whenever you happen to solve a movie. Bonus points if you solve two or more someone posts about in one thread. And more bonus points for getting your review posted.

You mean Andrew hasn't sent you the $250 check yet?

Oops...maybe I wasn't supposed to say anything!  Wink

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

Well, I think that there is an unspoken etiquette regarding karma which most people do follow. Was the person who posted the question in the help me forum a regular visitor or just a guest. A guest probably isn't concerned about the karma button. Andrew should not be required to dole out karma in a noted set of rules. You will get karma over time, but don't go looking for it because it doesn't work that way. Everybody here probably has made posts deserving of a karma point but go unheralded. You will get karma over time if you stick it out.

I agree, karma is based on people's opinions of your posts and it is their choice on if you get karma or not, I normally give out karma for funny or insightful posts so congrats to those of you who are a teeny bit higher on the karma scale from Patient7 Cheers

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »

From
http://www.ncf.ca/freenet/rootdir/menus/sigs/religion/buddhism/introduction/truths/karma2.html

The Law of Karma
In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.'

So applied here in a very general way: "skillful" posts will by their nature generate pleasant responses in the readers, who may by way of appreciation bestow "karma" upon the poster.

(And yes, I realize that I am not doing justice to the actual Buddhist concepts of "skillful" and "unskillful". "Unskillfulness" implies a certain...mean-spiritedness....on the part of the originator, so that could apply too, in terms of negative karma.   But I kinda like the way the idea of "skillfullness" "fits" when stretched a little for our purposes, in this context.)

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's my karma? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.