Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:22:09 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Looking For Freeware Electronic Index Cards « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking For Freeware Electronic Index Cards  (Read 7022 times)
Menard
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:57:25 AM »

Or, at least that is the way I am describing it.

I am in need (well, it would make things easier anyway) of a program which allows me to write small text files, like an index card, and to also sort the different notes I have written into a tree like structure; basically like taking the different index card notes and laying them out according to the order of presentation.

Yes, it's a silly reason for wanting such a program, but I am wanting to work on some choose your own adventure type stories for my new website. Unfortunately, when I sat down with the idea of a science fiction story, somewhere along the way (like many pages into it) I forgot that I had intended to write it as a choose your own adventure story as I got carried away with the writing (dangit).

I thought such a program might help to keep me a little better organized and make it easier to structure the different parts of such a story.

Anyone familiar with a freeware ptogram which may be helpful?
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:01:42 AM »

I don't know if it would do exactly what you want, but for simple, rearrangeable organization, you might be able to adapt recipe-card software (what's the recipe for a successful adventure? YOU be the judge!). Granted, that wouldn't do you much good on your site. You might also try a site like nonags.com. They have a good mix of freeware/shareware that might do what you are wanting to do. I've got a bookmark on my home computer (I'm at work right now) for a site that does what it sounds like you are wanting to do; I suppose you could go there and steal their structure see how they do it and come up with a similar, though wholly original, structure. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the link this evening.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »

That is an interesting suggestion. While I was searching for some kind of program for this purpose, I was getting recipe card programs in the search results. I really had not paid much attention to them, but it could be worth a shot. Thanks for the recommendation.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:07:08 PM »

You know, I was just thinking about designing one of these (a pick-your-way) adventures for the site, but with a bad movie plot.  This was all done while I was out for a PT run.  Organizing seemed pretty simple, since I was not planning on mingling branches more than once or twice after forks.  What I am stuck on is graphics, because there would have to be some artwork to go along with some of the story.  I suck at such.

A .txt file system might work, but it could be tedious to navigate.  Microsoft Project, if I remember, can organize things like this.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any freeware programs.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »

I have so far found three programs which look promising, though, I would rather have something which was just specifically for such a purpose and save it as a plain text file.

WhizNote appears to be, at first glance, the program closest to what I am trying to find as its primary purpose is to be able to file notes and link them between each other, within one file. Of course, it saves the resulting file as a WhizNote specific file.

KeyNote and NoteTab Light are both tabbed text editors which have scratchpad functions in which you can takes notes and save then to a congruous file which can be ordered in a tree like fashion. The advantage to both of these is that they are ordering the tree structure and not saving it in a proprietary file; though this probably makes little difference as the tree structure is endemic to the program itself. Of course, for pure laziness, NoteTab is also an HTML editor (I know, gee isn't every text editor) which may allow the saving of the files in formatted HTML pages and linked according to their structure in the tree (maybe, I have just started playing with them).

Dang. I used to wonder what the appeal was of a plain text editor. That is, until I needed one with special features.
Menard
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »

Just found a freeware program called Express Notes which is basically an electronic cardfile. You can create different books (files) then add notes to them. I found this, interestingly enough (especially since I did not think of this before), by doing a search for freeware rolodex. Small program too; only 116kb download.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »

You know Windows 3.1 had a built in card file program .  Maybe you just need to downgrade your operating system, I may still have the diskettes somewhere.  TongueOut

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Menard
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 02:08:13 AM »

You know Windows 3.1 had a built in card file program .  Maybe you just need to downgrade your operating system, I may still have the diskettes somewhere.  TongueOut

Menard
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »

You know, I was just thinking about designing one of these (a pick-your-way) adventures for the site, but with a bad movie plot.  This was all done while I was out for a PT run.  Organizing seemed pretty simple, since I was not planning on mingling branches more than once or twice after forks.  What I am stuck on is graphics, because there would have to be some artwork to go along with some of the story.  I suck at such.

A .txt file system might work, but it could be tedious to navigate.  Microsoft Project, if I remember, can organize things like this.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any freeware programs.

I just came across this while searching for other scripts. Looks like it could be interesting.

http://questml.com/
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Looking For Freeware Electronic Index Cards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.