Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:28:33 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just what IS the size limet on Kaiju, anyhoo? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Just what IS the size limet on Kaiju, anyhoo?  (Read 13135 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 21, 2006, 04:55:20 PM »

I was watching RODAN last week, and i thought once agine about this...just how big does a critter have to be to leave "Large bad tempered animal" status, and become a true Kaiju.
Kaiju being Japanese for "skyscraper size can of self propelled, liveing woopass"?
Is there a tonage limet, or is it volume?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »

I'd say at least twice the size of a normal one-story house is what is considered to be rubber-monster status.

Anything a bit smaller is about American monster-movie status (although that may be pushing it)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:05:17 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »

American giant monsters tend to be smaller due to the efforts of the Skyscraper Lobbying Group.  The idea of a giant monster capable of destroying a modern skyscraper should not be presented to the modern movie-goer.  That is their motto.

I would say that adult Kaiju are at least fifty feet in height.  Considering that most greatures will be longer than they are tall, that would make many a bit longer.  We could probably go on arguing this point for a while, just like the discussion on Pluto's status as a planet.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »

I think it has to be building sized or better.  Minya is only a Kaiju because of his family connections.  Otherwise its just a monster.  
Non-Kaiju examples: The Green Slime, Octaman.  
But where would the Them! or The Blob fit in?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 09:03:30 PM »

But where would the Them! or The Blob fit in?
I don't quite understand what is confusing about "The ants" (what, comon, Them?) It's purty obvious that it's the standing height that matters.

"The Blob" Is it classified as a kaiju in the modern sense? I would be more likely to group it as a "predatory bacteria creature", that just happened to be huge (anything goes in film) along with the thing and the alien predator.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:21 AM »

I would say that adult Kaiju are at least fifty feet in height.  Considering that most greatures will be longer than they are tall, that would make many a bit longer.  We could probably go on arguing this point for a while, just like the discussion on Pluto's status as a planet.

The most reliable estimates for the 1933 King Kong put him at about 60 ft. Would that make him a Kaiju? How big was the Beast from 20,000 fathoms? And what about the 50ft Centerfold. Is she disqualified for lack of a rubber suit? Or do we need a category of dwarf Kaiju?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:27:24 AM »

Would the Blob really count since it's size is based entirely on what it can eat? Remember the fragment the preacher had in the remake, it was small but had to the potential to grow all over if released. Plus would we consider it the same organism or a new one? I like the bacteria conparison.

Would maybe a certain size or ratio larger than the largest naturally occuring (unaltered/unaugmented by radiation, lab experiments, cosimic rays, what have you) example of such a creature be the standard to go by? Just a set height or length would allow things like dinosaurs or maybe whale sharks to qualify. Are revived or cloed Dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park films kaiju?

Would the various giant snakes, spiders, sharks, frankenfish, etc. that clog the schedule on SCIFi count as kaiju as long as they reached a certain length or height?

Then again by my suggestion The Killer Shrews and the Giant Leeches might count. They aren't 50+ feet but they are several times larger than the natural examples.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »

How's this for a definition:

"A Kaiju is a creature that will kill you accidently just cause you were in the way, and not even notice you were there"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 03:34:40 PM »

"A Kaiju is a creature that will kill you accidently just cause you were in the way, and not even notice you were there"
I'm pretty sure there are at least a few that would kill you just for the sake of killing, no accident about it.

Also on the subject, what about Gamera, he's definitely a kaiju but he won't kill children

Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure there are at least a few that would kill you just for the sake of killing, no accident about it.

Also on the subject, what about Gamera, he's definitely a kaiju but he won't kill children

Yeah, but thats behavior oriented, not material related.
I'd go with an opinion from Jabootu. Anything that can activly crush a car. A T-Rex could squish a man, but ...hummm..wait...forgot the truck.
Wel, now if it can toss or flatten a car, then yeah, that puts it in the mass/strength catagory needed. I mean, a Grabboid can fit in Burt Gummer's duce and a half, but not realy flatten it.
Rehndosaurs, now that can smash a car....and small buildings...and some ships...

King Kong....Japanese, Kaiju, American, large animal. Thats my thought.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »

In the more recent films he was created as a protector of mankind, so that might be a bad definition.  He would not kill intentionally, but casualties caused by his actions become a big deal in the second and third films.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
daveblackeye15

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 12:00:38 AM »

I always thought that...

#1) Has to be a Japanese movie.

#2) At LEAST 25 meters tall.

#3) Has to destroy AND/OR fight another monster.

I think that covers it pretty well.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 03:49:13 AM »

I always thought that...
#3) Has to destroy AND/OR fight another monster.

I think that covers it pretty well.

Requirement 3 would exclude the original Gojira!

On the other hand, with the car flattening criterium we are on to something. Perhaps they should be capable of destroying a large city, say Tokyo.

What with creatures that can change size, as in Inframan?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 06:08:52 AM »

The most reliable estimates for the 1933 King Kong put him at about 60 ft. Would that make him a Kaiju? How big was the Beast from 20,000 fathoms? And what about the 50ft Centerfold. Is she disqualified for lack of a rubber suit? Or do we need a category of dwarf Kaiju?

Excuse me, I need to be alone for a while with that image of a 50 foot centrefold in a rubber suit.  BounceGiggle

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 12:26:12 PM »

Excuse me, I need to be alone for a while with that image of a 50 foot centrefold in a rubber suit.  BounceGiggle
[/quote]

TIGHT fitting rubber? I'll go with that.
Size changing?....hummmm....don't know. I'm tempted to think perminant size.

But city smashing, yeah thats a given. Oh, and fleeing populace. Gotta cause THAT!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just what IS the size limet on Kaiju, anyhoo? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.