Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:21:49 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Devil's Rain « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Devil's Rain  (Read 66731 times)
Foxcpr@hotmail.com
« on: April 15, 1999, 11:35:09 AM »

Cool site!  Never seen anything like it.  The Devil's Rain is truly a classic.  There were a lot of things pointed out that I never picked up on.  I think it deserved a better rating than what it got.  What other movie has there been that minor supernatural powers were visually displayed (illusion of the talisman turning into a snake, telepathy, holding someone spellbound just by a gaze...)?  Besides who said everything always ends in happiness.
gktimm@c-zone.net
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 1999, 10:44:47 AM »

Caught this flick the way it was meant to be seen--at five a.m. on the late late late movie on TV.  Truly spellbindingly bad.  The sight of Earnest Borgnine turning from his naturally frightening state into satan/goatboy/whatever complete with horns is not to be missed.  It undoubtedly must have made the Academy think of taking back his Oscar on principle.  I learned two other things about this movie that your site did not mention.  First, when satan worshipers with no eyes in black robes get shot, they bleed antifreeze, not frozen yogurt as the last scene of the movie would have you believe.  Second, Earnest Borgnine's eyebrows, even when not in satan costume, still make him look like the devil.  He really should have thought of an eyebrow trim for his "human" scenes.  I'm surprised this film is not considered more of a "bad" classic than it seemed to be at five a.m. this morning.  
Christopher Montag
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 1999, 03:42:20 PM »

This is one of the greatest pictures ever made! If not for the numerous aforementioned reasons, because small parts are played by Doktor Anton Szandor LaVey and his then wife Diane. Doktor LaVey founded the Church of Satan in 1966 c.e. and served as High Priest for over 30 years until his death in '97. The Church of Satan continues proudly and Doktor LaVey's books such as the Satanic Bible have sold millions of copies!
Brandi
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 1999, 03:41:31 AM »

Interestingly, lgworld@aol.com brought up Dr. Phibes, and as it turns out both Dr. Phibes and The Devil's Rain were directed by the same fellow (Anton Fuest). Obviously he had much better material to work with (and probably a higher budget) on the Phibes film...
Sir Sword
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2000, 05:03:12 AM »

Um, I'm sorry to say this, but I took Latin (Classic, not the processed Church bull), and Rege Satanas (pronounced ray-shay Sah-tah-nus is Latin for "Kingdom of Satan". Just had to clear that up.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2000, 08:38:37 AM »

A good film. Required viewing for those who need a good scare. The special effects involving people melting to wax is gross. And if some of you people are real film buffs that don't say every film is BAD, check this flick out on DVD or video and is presented in it's original 2.35:1 Todd-Ao widescreen. Avoid the bad panned and scanned version. Actor Ernest Borgnine is effective as the Devil in this A+++ film.
Flashman2424
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2000, 02:15:09 PM »

Saw this on TV at the age of six and it scared the s**t outa me!  Took me days before I could sleep.  It was the melting guy that did it.  Im eager to see it now that im at a mature age (24) and can fully enjoy it without p**sing in my pants.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2000, 11:27:16 PM »

I've seen this movie twice.  The first time it was on Monstervision with my hero, Joe Bob Briggs.  The second time was again just last night when one of my friends insisted on seeing it for one of our movie nights.  I just wanted to say that it was just as painful the second time around.  Even Skerritt, Shatner, and Borgnine couldn't save this movie.  Ouch.
Bob
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2000, 11:27:45 PM »

I am the friend mentioned in ebolamonk's response and I disagree.  This movie was wonderful at 4:00 in the morning.  Come on now, this movie was quite amusing.  I say it was the best of the night, and one of the best movies of our movie nights.
Mr. Muucs
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2000, 05:47:35 AM »

This is late night classic! So bad it's terrible. The evil guy turning people into robed minions reminded me of both "The Omega Man" and "Phantasm". Gotta love William Shatner and Tom Skerrit's displays of stupidity. Dumb ending, what else would one expect? Worth seeing if you want to stay up late, can't sleep, or what something to watch while getting wasted.
Tony
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2000, 07:48:35 AM »

For all the bad acting and dialogue, this movie isn't that bad! I just saw it again on TBS right after a showing of my favorite horror movie of all time: THE EXORCIST. So you can say the Devil was out tonight! Yes its true Anton Szandor LaVey actually played a small part in the film (along with his first wife Diane) and he even provided the costumes and Satanic imagery, and also the demonic diatribes to give the movie an air of authenticity. This movie, along with other so-called "devil films" like The Brotherhood of Satan among others, is probably the best of its kind. By that I mean, for its outstanding special make-up effects! You just can't beat seeing a bunch of devil worshippers melting like they were ice cream in the sun! That one scene alone is worth seeing this movie, along with the wonderful preformance of the goatlord, Ernest Borgnine! One last little-known fact-- it was rumoured that LaVey had actually bought several members of the cast into the Church of Satan, most notably Keenan Wynn and Tom Skerrit! Don't know if this was true, but I do remember seeing old pictures of LaVey hanging out with some of these folks. It does make you wonder tho, doesn't it?
Hungy
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »

In response to Foy (foy_67@yahoo.com), I'm going to have to disagree!!  I am also part of our movie night crew (I promise you all, I'm the last one... mostly) and I have to say that I LOVE movies like this simply because it's great to laugh at the celebrities and how terrible they were at this point...  Tom Skerrit was actually young too, that impressed me with the muchness.  It seems you've....... eaten....... my........ ketchup, you........ bastard, my......... ketchup!!  Ol' Billy Shatner is my hero, you can't beat that (hahahahahahaha, yes you can {just messin with j'all}).  Anyway, I'm going to have to say this is about 3 or 4 oot of 5 because of the lame celebrity cast.  It was wonderful.

~Hungy
foy
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2000, 01:08:23 AM »

I also attend the movie nights with my good friends ebolamonk and lordofheck and I must say, this movie completely sucks.  I made the awful mistake of renting this on my own just recently, and it hurt a lot.  Even the great cast couldn't save it.  On the upside, Borgnine as satan preacher/goat monster was funny at 4:00 in the morning, and the movie did have an authentic feel to it, probably due to LaVey's direct involvment.
   Bottom line, with a group or by yourself, you're in for 90 minutes of misery and suffering if you sit down with this clunker.
ithur
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2000, 02:16:27 AM »

IMO, this movie benefits quite a bit from both the pan-n-scan and the bad cable-TV editing; the more left to the imagination the better, at least 'til the last 10 minutes.  And the opening credits are phenomenal, too -- it's the most suspenseful 5min in the movie.

Is it scary, though?  Dunno....not in the traditional "horror" way at least, unless Satanic stuff is a personal phobia for you. For a better example of the type of "scary" this movie is, check out some Kenneth Anger flicks.

Chad Edwards
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2000, 03:41:08 PM »

All right, so it's not the greatest horror flick ever made, that goes without saying. It's a bit slow-moving at times and not particularly interesting, but I've seen considerably worse films in my time. The movie's director, Robert Fuest(of THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES fame) does what he can with the threadbare material, the atmosphere is fairly creepy, and any flick that unites such talents as Ernest Borgnine, Ida Lupino, William Shatner, Tom Skerritt, Keenan Wynn and serves as the debut of John Travolta definitely has something going for it!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Devil's Rain « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.