Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:55:10 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Endless Descent « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Endless Descent  (Read 40404 times)
Dave Coleman
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »

as the screenwriter hired to literally rewrite the project in a matter of weeks for juan piquer simon and executive producer dino de laurentiis, i had to combine earlier drafts by such diverse talents as colin wilson (great draft but literally 200+ pages of scientific jargon, accurate but deadly dull), a young duo who sold the pitch, etc.

the producers had already built the sets.  i was flown to spain to 'rewrite' the script with a week's notice and had to scramble just to get a passport in time for the departure.  in spain, i was told that each day, my writing would be read by dino via fax in the united states.  if dino liked it?

the project kept going.  if not?  they pulled the plug, because they'd already spent a ton of dough on the sets and didn't want to waste any more on, you know, a writer.   Drink

finally, they liked what they read, because while it was ALIENS and the other underwater flix in 'hommage,' the real love and drive were for the Godzilla and 'bad' 50's SF flims which i missed so much.   i tried to sneak in every reference i could to other films of these genres, because i figured this would be my best shot.

nobody cared that it was cliched, as it was shootable.  i felt like quite a pro.

the film is undeservedly obscure.  one of the editors cut FIVE EASY PIECES and worked on CONAN!  the sound score by joel goldsmith is very good for a low budget film and ditto for the efx, far better than you would ever expect.

the story?  utter nonsense, as folks have rightly critiqued.  still, i would be remiss if i didn't say that in its own goofy way, the twisted logic of the story is as nightmarishly "incoherent" as a true nightmare (similar to the one i was living at the time attempting to write my way out this mess). 

hope the notes helped!
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »

ind of like that 60s sci fi series VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA where they would meet some pretty strange underwater ceatures like plankton monsters,fosslemen,seaweed ceatures,giant spider,underwater pirate ships,giant octapuss,sqiuds,sharks,sawfish,and being swollowed by a whale
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

I still intend, one day, to force myself to sit through this.  I was enjoying the ridiculous monster count, but I think the dialogue was what got me. 
FLU-BIRD
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 02:15:42 AM »

I can remeber a movie THE NEPTUNE FACTOR(OR DISASTER)WHERE THEY SEND THIS EXPERIMENTAL SUBMARINE DOWN TO SAVE THESE GUYS TRAPPED WHEN THE SEALAB SINK AFTER A QUAKE and can anyone ever remember VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA i mean the TV show came out with all sorts of monsters i mean like a GIANT OCTIPUSS ROCK CREATURES,A LIVING FLAME MONSTER A PLANKTON CREATURE A GIANT SEAWEED MONSTER AND EVEN A UNDERWATER SPIDER MONSTER AND EVEN WEREWOLVES AND MUMMIES
Ramadwarf
New Visitor

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »

It's cheap, very cheap. It's watchable though, very watchable. You've got R. Lee Ermy, Jack Scalia, Ray Wise and that bird walking about acting. REALLY bad monsters killing people and a plot borrowed from all over the place. Plus Jerry Goldsmith's brother doing the music!  Cheers I thought it was really enjoyable for a one off hit. Nowhere near as good as 'Leviathan' (which to be fair was a complete rip off of John Carpenter's 'The Thing) or the big one, 'The Abyss'; but I think entertainment-wise it's on the same level as 'Deep Star Six' and 'Lords of the Deep'.

I will admit to having rather high expectations for this film, mainly because I'd read so many reviews shouting about how many monsters there are in it. They're all sauntering about in the dark or blowing up just before you can make out the detail! And the trailer mentions the the effects were created by the makers of 'Alien' or 'Aliens' (don't remember), which is a pull. Then you catch a glimpse of one of them and wonder whether it was the guy who made the tea for the 'Aliens' special effects team that did it.

Nevertheless I'll give the film a sweet thumbs up  Thumbup
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Endless Descent « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.