Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:13:34 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Giant Behemoth « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Giant Behemoth  (Read 85878 times)
Squishy The Squid
« on: March 02, 1999, 01:49:35 PM »

A review of the recent laser-disc release said: "Gene Evans and Andre Morrell are fine...but Jack MacGowran...is the worst, most contemptible casting of a scientist that I can recall."
The same car gets stomped three times during the film, re-processed so the shot looks slightly different. This budget-saving technique can be seen in lots of Willis O'Brien's animated-monster flicks, like THE BLACK SCORPION, which should also one day wind up on this site ("I'll take keer of demm!").
bendab@systems.gec.com
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 1999, 08:23:23 AM »

my favorite monster movie as a kid,bought the
video from warner studios.the movie has missing parts. the part where the behemoth sinks the
ferry is missing whats up with that. it seems that
there are two movies the UK 72 min,and the USA 80
MIN version.  I AM RETURNING the copy I bought
I hope of finding the full version of the film.
If anyone has any info  as to why please email me.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2000, 11:41:54 AM »

THE GIANT BEHEMOTH is a great film with passable special effects and performances. Some reviewers (I mean the ones on the IMDb) say the creatures head fell off. Yeah right, those faries lied. The best of the best, not the best of the worst. Take my word for it.
WSC
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Goofy as it is, the movie still has something captivating about it.  I also believe it was the inspiration for microwave cookery. For those (like me) who have their own video version, has anyone noticed that the infamous ferry boat capsizing scene has been cut?  I would rather have the complete version, if anyone knows how to get same.

PS - Did anyone else notice that the helicopter that blows up over the Thames is actually shown as two different types (one looks like a Sikorsky, the other some British type)?
Countess Zarina Suspiriorum
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I didn't discover this movie until I was a teen but I loved it right away, although I think the British title BEHEMOTH, THE SEA MONSTER is better.  I remember the video print is missing the crucial scene where the monster destroys the ferry!  Finally that scene was restored when AMC got the rights to the movie.  Of course there is a problem with that print too.  The scene where the (barely glimpsed) Behemoth destroys the farm is supposed to be a night scene but AMC's lab cleaned up the print so well it now looks like broad daylight!
   If you want to have fun watch very close during the ferry scene.  At one point the wooden base holding the plastic head of the monster comes so far out of the water you can easily spot it!  Of course I have no complaint with Willis O'Brien's stop motion effects.  He had to rush things because the movie was well underway before the producers decided they wanted a real monster.  Originally it was supposed to be an invisible mass of radiation (which explains the scene where the Behemoth does not show up on radar).
   Just ignore the shortcomings and enjoy a really effective Giant-Monster-On-The-Loose movie.  It's fun, it really is!
Sal
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One of my favorite movies when I was a kid. Used to be on Million Dollar Movie in NYC and was on 2 or 3 times a day. We used to "act-out" the ferry scene and jump a ledge on the side of the house. Always thought that I would run behind the thing instead of in front of it. Loved those scenes with the people running.  
Dave Chornomaz
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I can't believe I not only found a web site about this childhood flick...but people care enough to critique it! Hilarious....brings back great memories and I also watched it on NYC's Million Dollar Movie. A true classic.
"Oh fiddlesticks"

Karen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 11:52:49 PM »

This was the moive that gave me the most nightmares as a little kid.  Thanks for the fun write up.
George
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Well,what can be said is England wanted there own answers to the following creatures,Beast From 20,000 Fathmos,Godzilla & of course the Loch Ness Monster,the result?,yes The Giant Behemoth,the monster that inspired the creation of microwave ovens!,for a non-Japanese movie,this was one of the best,as was Gorgo but why didn't we see the monster sink the steam ship Valcuriea?,or could it be there's another version we've not seen?,remember the original title was Behemoth,Monster From The Sea,which makes one think,was Giant Behemoth a remake of that starring Gean Evans?.
Robert
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The "Giant Behemoth" remains one of my favorite B-sci-fi "flicks". This mighty beast was beautifully rendered through stop-motion animation. Some of the close-up shots of the monster's head where stop-motion animation wasn't used were a bit oi a "let-down". The duplicate scenes showing the car being crushed by the Behemoth's foot and the screams coming from within are comical to an adult, but "cool" to a kid who grew up in the late fifties and early sixties. No other monster had the "classic" roar of the Giant Behemoth", and that was one feature that made this creature so unique. I think that if Ray Harryhausen had been involved with the making of this film, it no doubt would have been a huge success rivaling the "Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms". The plot of the "Giant Behemoth" evolved around the use of atomic weapons and the long term negative effects they could "reap" on mankind. It is an intelligent film, and mixes fact with fiction. It is a "fun" movie to watch over and over again! Imagine if a top director/producer decided to re-make this movie using today's high-tech methods of film-making! I would be first on line at the theater box office to see it! Long live the "Behemoth"!!!
Lewis
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Yes. Million Dollar Movie and also Supernatural Theatre on Sat nights in the mid-60's.  I thought this was a brilliant movie as a kid - still entertaining.  My 11 year old son thought noted that there is no eye movement on the GB.  Also, on those head shots as the GB strolls through London, one will notice that in the background is the same building - flat roof, square windows.  

best scenes:
The doll floating in the water after the ferry sinking.
The old man dying.
People running, while others just stopped to take a break and get radiated.  Everyone out for themselves.  
Francis
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Giant Behemoth" was the first prehistoric monster movie that I watched as a kid in the 1960's.  One of the reasons why I have such a fondness for it.

Why not a remake.  Maybe with Brad Pitt or Hugh Grant in the lead.  With a scene of GB smashing a picture of the Spice Girls. And a soundtrack by Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones?
antaresrichard
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There is a stop-motion shot of the title creature I found enjoyable. I hope it's not the confabulation of my poor memory. As the "behemoth" approaches from the distance the camera keeps tilting upwards to keep the beast's head in frame, giving us an discomforting sense of scale.
     Look closely at the "underwater" footage of the behemoth's brush with the minisub: there are two different monsters playing the scene! It's not the same model. Perhaps the other was the Book of Job's "Leviathan" peeved at the film's opening scripture being incorrectly attributed to the wrong animal.
     The leviathan of Job chapter 41 (see verses 19 - 21 and 31 KJV) is generally thought to refer to a crocodile, whereas the behemoth of Job 40, is loosely taken to be a hippopotamus. Now, can you imagine a rampaging, electric, radioactive-wielding, giant hippo running amok in the streets of London?! Blimey!

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 07:14:42 PM »

Best crowd panic scene I have ever seen.  Whether it is the scene where the ferry boat capsizes to people in London running.  I watch this movie with my girlfriend who was born in England.  She enjoyed watching the man and woman in the ferry boat scene.  She told me that the woman in that scene puts talcum powder.  I did not know why she told me that?  Maybe because in England lots of women like her put powder like Marks and Spencer or Avon.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Someone please verify this scene.  An old woman, possibly in the kitchen, says "fiddlesticks!"   I have a bet with my brother that this was in The Giant Behemoth.  Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Giant Behemoth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.