Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:50:03 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Plan 9 from Outer Space « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Plan 9 from Outer Space  (Read 228863 times)
The Neuronite
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2006, 10:50:59 PM »

This is the best movie of all time. YAY! I <3 you Ed Wood
Steve
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Man do I wanna see this movie! It looks hilarious and terrible! So I've heard from another person as well as this review. I'll bet this got 5 monster drops for being so stupid!
Bob
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »

Has anyone seen the colorized version?
Roy
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Just a trivia note. The space ships were the first sci-fi plastic model kit, 1953 by Lindberg. A ten part kit, including the two piece base; they only used three of the pieces! The kit has been reissued several times and is still available by Glencoe Models. it's only abour six inches across.
Peter
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »

Something else learned: "sunlight is made of many atoms" -Eros
Mr. Svinlesha
New Visitor

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »

I want to write a hymn to this movie.

The thing about this movie is that it's like an onion – an onion of bad.  You notice the bad on the surface, but every time you peel off a layer, you find another layer of bad underneath.  This bad goes all the way to the core.  In the words of a famous poet, this movie is bad to the bone.

Or, if you prefer, consider this.  Accept for a moment Plato's notion of a metaphysical world of archetypes: pure forms, of which the objects of the material world are mere shadows. In this metaphysical realm there exists an archetype of the Bad Movie, which is so bad that it's almost as bad as Plan 9 from Outer Space, only worse.  The Bad Movie contains all of those elements, both concrete and ephemeral, that make up a bad movie; and all the bad movies found in the material world are mere reflected forms this archetype.  Well, if that's the case, then Ed Wood must have been possessed by some sort of ancient Greek extas while making this film, a grandiose mystical state that enabled him in his director's vision to create a movie so bad that it stands still today as an archetypal monument: the closest a mere mortal has ever come to representing the Bad Movie archetype in the World of Forms.  In fact, my friends, I put it to you, that this movie's badness actually constitutes PROOF that Plato was right, and that ARCHETYPES DO EXIST! 

For how else are we to explain the badness of this film?

But anyway, about that onion...first you notice all the general stuff, like the not-acting (well, we can't really call that acting, can we?), the sets, the incoherent plot, etc.  That's one level of bad.  But for me, that level of bad was only of interest for the first few viewings. 

After that I began to go deeper into the bad, and there I discovered a second onion peel of bad, namely, THE MUSIC.  My God, man, that music is bad.  It is soooo bad.  Few people comment on the soundtrack to this film, but it has to rank as one of the all time worst film themes in recorded history.  I must confess I viewed the film a few more times just to listen to the awful cacophony of noise.

Then, the next peel, the editing.  Like when Paula is threatened by the Undead. 

Shot of Paula running through a field, OUTDOORS. 

Shot of Vampira standing in the dark, INDOORS. 

Shot of the chiropractor with a cape over his face, INDOORS. 

Shot of Paula again, fainting by the side of road, OUTDOORS.  It is evening.  The audience is probably supposed to believe that these undead are right on her heels, but we are instead merely disoriented.  Up drives a fat little man with pants pulled up to his armpits and hops of out his car.  ”Mrs. Clay, Mrs. Clay” he yells, distressed.  He looks up, left. 

Shot of Vampira, standing in the dark, INDOORS. 

Shot of the little fat guy, OUTDOORS.  He looks right. 

Shot of the chiropractor with a cape over his face, INDOORS.

STOP THIS s**t!  The audience thinks.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

And so on, and so on, and on, and on, and on.  Editing so bad it is utterly beyond belief. 

Then, in addition to the plot incoherent, there is also the dialog incoherent.  Such as when the Army's “Head of Saucer Operations” is quizzed by his superior, “Do you believe in saucers?” (Yes! With Milk!), and is warned  he will be court martialled  if he answers yes, despite the fact that his friggin job is hunting down saucers.  WTF? 

But this only the third level of bad, because beneath this level is a fourth level having to do with the actual writing itself.  Plan 9 is written as if by someone who speaks English as a second language.  Or rather, it is written as if it was originally written in English, then translated into Japanese or Swahili or something, and then “back-translated” into English again on the cheap by, say, a Norwegian college student.  The sentences that make up the dialog are themselves often grammatically incoherent.  My favorite comes at the end of the film, when Criskin intones,  approximately, “One night someone may pass you in the dark, and you will never know, for they will be from OUTER SPACE!”  This sentence simply makes no sense.  Will I not know that they have passed me, because they are from outer space?  Why would the fact that they are from outer space make it impossible for me to detect that they have passed me?  Does being from outer space make them invisible?  Or does he mean that I will never know that they are from outer space, because it's dark when they pass me?  If so, shouldn't he have said, “One night someone from outer space may pass you, and you will never know, for it will be DARK!”  Is he talking about me driving on the freeway?  What if I'm sitting on my wicker porch chair?

And so on.

The film if is chock-a-block full of this stuff.  You can spend literally hours just marveling at it.

This is where I'm at in the onion at this point.  Someday I'm sure I'll pull back this peel and find yet another layer of bad beneath it.  Because, my friends, the bad in this movie goes all the way down to the bottom.

And there is no bottom.
Karmyn
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »

How did Kelton not notice Tor Johnson trying to sneak up on him? He is such an incomptent idiot. Poor Kelton. How he survived three movies I'll never know. Ah, Paul Marco, you were special.
Greenhornet
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2007, 06:11:33 PM »

(More)Stuff To Watch For:
Vampira FLINCHES when she is shot at!  BounceGiggle
JonAgar
New Visitor

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »

This movie was the one that convinced me that I like bad movies better than good ones.

Good movies are always the same....the hero wins in the end.

Bad movies have so much to give on so many levels.  They can't all be this one or King Kong v. Godzilla but after a while you don't even need two robots and a guy ranking on them to make them funny.

And Andrew's reviews are priceless.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2007, 10:56:16 AM »

And i thought only Ogres had layers.
Nice call, Mr. Svinlesha. I never notices the soundtrack before...unless my subconscience did, and that explains the drooling problim....

Oh, how i love it when the cop says. "Well, one thing s for sure...inspector Clay is dead...murdered...and somebody is responsable." Well, no duh, sherlock! Thats kinda what the word murder Implys!
All hail Plan 9!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Mr. Svinlesha
New Visitor

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 02:44:12 AM »

Oh, how i love it when the cop says. "Well, one thing s for sure...inspector Clay is dead...murdered...and somebody is responsable." Well, no duh, sherlock! Thats kinda what the word murder Implys!

Yeah, that's a great example of what I mean.  This movie contains so much bad that the bad virtually explodes from every frame.  A mere mortal simply cannot absorb all the bad at one sitting.  First you have the kind of stupid, or inane, dialog, like your example here; and then you have the incoherent stuff, like the Jeff complaining about being "muzzled by big Army Brass!" and so on. 

You can spend literally hours just analyzing the badness of the script.  And the bad script is only one tiny part of the overall badness of this movie.

Its an archetype, I tell ya.

zond2
New Visitor

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Were did the aliens costumes come from? The Rulers is definately from so midieaval flick but what about Eros and Tanna's? My wife and I thinking about making a set of hall costumes to math Eros and Tanna's but I would love to find a base pattern to bootstrap into shirts like theirs. Any suggestions?
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »

Were did the aliens costumes come from? The Rulers is definately from so midieaval flick but what about Eros and Tanna's? My wife and I thinking about making a set of hall costumes to math Eros and Tanna's but I would love to find a base pattern to bootstrap into shirts like theirs. Any suggestions?

I would bet that someone made them for the film.  The belts definitely appear to be some sort of Christmas thing, as Eros' has bells and stuff on it that makes me think it was intended for some sort of Christmas costume.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
mrgb46
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2007, 01:17:53 PM »

I've always loved horror or sci-fi movies from the 50's to the 70's,but Plan 9 is in the Top 10 of my favorites.I don't know what it is because it's so bad and maybe that's its appeal.I don't think we need to analyze why we like something so horrible,but movies like this is entertaining.I don't mind the mistakes or the bad acting or the terrible script.It's all out there in full view for all to see! If you want to get the special editon of this movie,I suggest you get it with the Mike Nelson(MST3K)commentary.Funny stuff! It also has trivia about the movie at the bottom while you watch and Plans 1-8,which aren't real,of course....I'm proud to have one of the worst movies of all time in my collection. hot
mrgb46
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »

Has anyone seen the colorized version?
You can get the black and white version and the color version with the Mike Nelson(MST3K)commentary at Amazon..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Plan 9 from Outer Space « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.