Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:16:09 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai  (Read 143633 times)
« on: February 10, 1999, 03:19:27 AM »

This movie was way ahead of its time.  Its a classic!

Note: The end of the film hints at a sequel: "Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension"

As much as I love this film I've got to wonder: how the HELL did it ever obtain funding and sneak into release??  Someone obviously lost a lot of money on this film...
Pat Bowden
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 1999, 04:02:38 PM »

Buckaroo Banzai is a pretty out-there movie. It's
fun to watch and the cast is good (Peter Weller and Jeff Goldblum are really good). I really don't
know why this was such a failure. Maybe it was too
strange for the average movie-goer...
tabby@psn.net
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 1999, 02:56:51 AM »

They're testing the structure of the hybrid watermelon to see if it can be airdropped into famine areas without a parachute. Duh!
Alex Talpur
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 1999, 06:58:20 PM »

Well, what can I say? Pure genius. The story, the cast, the script, the direction, the music, everything! Absolutely fantastic! The whole cast is amazing. Peter Weller as Buckaroo really is brilliant. Why can't more people make films like this anymore? Let's hope the much talked about TV-Series goes into production. Keep up the fantastic work on the page. And remember, we don't have to be mean, 'cause remember no matter where you go, there you are!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 1999, 10:05:43 PM »

I have shown this film to many people. In fact, at our network game nights, this film is screened as often as StarWars 4/5/6 and Army of Darkness, much to the confusion of new people.

The first time I screen it, people go "What the hell are they doing in 1930 now ? Who are all these guys ? Why are you all laughing at the watermelon ?" and generally wanting to know where they can get the 1st movie in the series that explains everything.

The second time, people start going "Oh, I see, the white aliens are the evil aliens and the rastafarian aliens are the good aliens. Oh, but now the good aliens are trying to blow up the earth, and the bad aliens are just trying to get away ??"

The third time, it starts sinking in and people start figuring out the difference between the characters.

About the tenth time, we start getting the chanting at lines like "Threee.... Twoo.... Onee....", "Laugha while you can monkey boy" and reciting with relish 'Declaration of war - the Short Form' 'Sekret! No Monkee Boyz Alowed'

It's a disease - but most people are resistant to it, and need multiple exposure.

By the way, Buckaroo Banzai turn up in the weirdest places - he has appeared in three books and two rule suppliments to the FASA/Mechwarrior universe (the rules state that he invented mechs such as the Hatchetman), the technology appears in Back to the Future, and even the Austin Power film has been known to quote a few lines from it.

And if Buckaroo's good enough for Dr Evil, he's good enough for you.
a bear
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2000, 09:56:24 PM »

It sure is a shame. I remember loving this movie as a kid and the fan club was really trying hard to keep the excitement up and to get all the fans to write the studio to convince them to allow a sequel. Then it all petered out after a while. I guess they realized the studio didn't agree with them.

I must admit I watched this again and it had turned somewhat from cool to cheese. Especially after seeing how fantastic Peter Weller can be in Naked Lunch.  Maybe in another 10 years I'll re-watch it and it will look cool again.

I've always thought Peter Weller looked like Adam Ant and wondered why Adam Ant never did anything weird and cool with his floundering acting career, like Buckaroo Bansai.

Greg Childs
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 1999, 08:40:23 PM »

Maybe the greatest movie ever made, can't believe there is no soundtrack CD. Never saw it in the theater sadly, but now own it and it's a holiday staple for my brother and me. Too many great scenes and lines to cover here, but the horn Buckaroo plays at the concert and John Bigbootay, tay, tay giving Lithgow the finger are too funny.
By the way, either you get this movie or forget it. You can't explain it or help someone like it, must be genetic.
Katrina Keefer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 1999, 06:33:02 PM »

My family and I have a tendency to like 'campy' films. Buckaroo is one of our favourites. My boyfriend has yet to see it, but when he does, he's a-gonna love it! It's up there with 'Flash Gordon', 'Riders of the Storm' and 'Yellowbeard', in my estimation. Not very well known, but a pleasure to anyone who's odd enough to sit through it! (I include myself, naturally)
drclause@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2000, 05:02:18 AM »

This has to be one of my favourites. Too bad I can't find it on DVD. My ma tried to get it for me  (in any form) for my b-day but we can't find it anywhere. Anyway, the movie is great. What made them make black lectoids Rastas? I went to Jamacia for spring break 2 years ago but didn't think of even introducing myself as John Parker. What was I thinking???? That would have been just too cool. Guess I was too 'out-of-it'. -If anyone knows where I can get a copy e-me, thanks.
Paul H.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2000, 03:22:56 PM »

This movie has so much potential with a good cast, good acting, good story.  And it partially works.

However, I am always left thinking that somehow it should be better.  I don't enjoy it as much as a should.  I think it plays the lines better a real sci-fi movie and camp to closely.  Plus it can get a little slow.

However it is still among the leaders of bad movies I give it a 6 out of 10 (3 green globs)  To bad it doesn't know its a bad movie.  

Big Trouble in Little China makes a similar attempt at mixing camp and a real action movie and works much better.
NakedMoleRat7
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2000, 10:56:58 PM »

I personally love the movie along with he rest of my family.  Even though it was lacking in quite a few areas, it will definitely stay near the top of my list of favorite movies.  It's choc-full of cooky fun.
Spectre
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Quite possibly one of the most hilarious B-movies I have ever seen.  I was actually coerced into watching it (thanks a lot guys, you know who you are).  I thought it was going to be so horrid that I would go catatonic, but I was laughing almost the entire time.  The funniest part for me was when John Lithgow's character said the name "Bigboote."  Especially with that accent.  Every time he said that name I just cracked up (a couple of times I was actually crying I was laughing so hard, but then again, I am just kinda giddy all the time).  Also, the Jamaican aliens were extremely funny.  I would definitely recommend this movie, especially to a novice not ready for the worst of the worst.  Oh, and don't forget Perfect Tommy, he is pretty good too.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2000, 01:42:33 PM »

Peter Weller would have made a better batman than any of the past three wimps, comedians, and pretty boys.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2000, 10:29:36 PM »

I own the movie and I think it is one of the best movies i've ever seen and ever bought and would love to see a sequel or even a series!
Let's start a campaign to get a Buckaroo Series on TV! YEAH!!!!
Georgiann
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

What an amazing cast! -- which is why I saw it, primarily for Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd and John Lithgow.  And what a...strange...far-out movie.  I think I need to see it a few more times, 'cause frankly I still don't understand it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.