Main Menu

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai

Started by , February 10, 1999, 03:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazilla

The single most disappointing thing about this movie was that the sequel never got made, perhaps that was a joke as well.  Still this is a truly great movie, it has everything, including one of coolest end title credit sequences I have ever seen.  Soundtrack album out there?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Julius

Thank God they didn't dig in deeper "dimensions"... the 14th, the 83th... or maybe the 106th, gee! that's a scary one!

Vic

I agree, this movie is awesome. Sci-Fi acreens it on occasion, but not nearly often enough. The writers of this movie just had some of the wall stuff. Fave lines:

"What's your name?"

"John Smallberries."

"And yours? John Ya-Ya ... ok"

I read in an issue of Fangoria back in 96, I guess, where Peter Weller was hyping his new movie, Screamers (which shoud also be on this list) where he said he hopes one day to actually do Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime eague. I doubt it, but it'd be interesting at the least.

jean

BB is an awesome movie. So what if it's cheesy, it was the 80's!

forkboy

Note that Yoyodyne is the name of the corporation in Thomas Pynchon's Crying of Lot 39.

Mark Fisher

I absolutely love this movie especially the pedantic nature of John Bigboutie. It's a delight to watch for all the asides in the background. And then there's Ellen Barkin!

wendym

I've seen this film several times and I think it's brilliant!. I think it's one of the best things that John Lithgow has done. The alien ship interiers are the best. It's such a shame they never made the sequel

jaywilson

No matter what you think of this film, there it is.

Alex

Actually, at www.dailyscript.com there is a link to a script of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 6th Dimension. Hope this helps.

Doug Frye

It is a shame that "Buckaroo Bonzai vs. the World Crime League" never got made. I love this film.

Evil !!!! Pure and Simple from Planet 10!!!

HOO BOY!! I love Buckaroo Banzai.  I remeber saving up my allowance as a wee 7year old to buy the Marvel magazine adaption.  I also got the novelization for Christmas of 1984.  This movie is great fun.  Watch it back to back with Big Trouble in Little China and you have a super night.  BTW the sequel was to be called Buckaroo Banzai Vs. THe World Crime League!!

It's not my goddam planet monkeyboy!!!!!!

Aaron Agassi

Oh, screw any banal World Laugue of Crime rehash!  

L. Sprague de Camp's first published work: 'Isolinguals', Astounding, September 1937 later anthologized by Damon Knight in FIRST FLIGHT : MAIDEN VOYAGES IN SPACE AND TIME. Lancer, PB, in 1963, adapted into a Buckaroo Banzai Adventure, 'Buckaroo Banzai and the Isolinguals', would make a far better sequel.  

Barb Stafford

Oh, those were the days.  Coldwar paranoia and $1.05 admission on Tuesday nights at the local movie theatre.  I saw BB 7 times on the big screen (countless on tape), and I married the man that sat through it with me 7 times.  Kids these days, they don't get it, 'cause the world's not going to blow up anymore, and noboday wears shoulderpads.  Have you ever seen so many shoulderpads in a movie?

Yuug

I can't believe I hear all these comments about how stellar the cast was and everyone bringing up Goldblum, Lithgow, Birkin, and Weller's names... Everyone's forgetting the biggest name of them all: YACKOFF SMIRNOFF!! YEAH!! He totally made the movie. Even if he was in it for about 2 seconds.

That and the scene where Buckaroo is flying the spaceship at the end and says "Get off the knob and take the wheel!" and then the Jamacian alien lifts his head up with strange glazed looking eyes is classic. Even though the rest of the movie had me wanting to kill myself several times over. I'm sorry. I don't know what any of you see in this movie, but UGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Neville

I really dig this movie. probably is the one which opened the door for me to watch more B-movies. I really had a great time watching it, and I don't know what I laughed at
the most, if the great John Lithgow in a Mussolinni parody or the disarming first line of the plot: A group of scientists who are also a r&r band. That's err original.

Anyway, here's some present for all the lovers of the movie,
the original script:

http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/BuckarooBanzai.txt

Courtesy of Movie-page.com: http://www.movie-

page.com/movie_scripts.htm