Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:08:06 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai  (Read 143617 times)
Mike
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2003, 03:16:56 PM »

I have tried to expose everyone I know to this, but most of them are put off by the necessary half hour description to portray why its worth watching
Tanglefinger
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

God, I love this movie.

Anybody who grew up on Doc Savage, like I did, has to love this movie.

This movie was responsible for one of the very few 'cool' moments of my life.

A buddy of mine and I were waiting in line for our third (or was it fourth) viewing of this film. This was in my semi-punk days and I was in my leathers. My buddy looked like the drummer in a prog-rock band, which he was. I was reading Scientific American and he was noodling away on his drum synthesizer, one of the first available as I recall.

I said to my buddy, "Hey, there's some real cool stuff going on in quantumn physics," and started talking about the article I had just read. He starts talking about stuff he's read, and back and forth.

The guy in front of us turns around and says, "You guys are plants, right?"

"Huh?" we reply.

"You've been planted by some PR company to make us think there actually are people like The Hong Kong Cavaliers."

I must say, it's very ego enhancing to be mistaken for a Hong Kong Cavalier.

But enough about me. This is a very cool, very strange and very funny movie. If you don't get this movie, go get a job in The Bush White House. They need even more boring unimaginative people working there.
Will Stewart
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One of my favorite movies of all time, the only serious SciFi spoof that worked (remember "Starship Troopers"?).  The technology is hilarious, Peter Weller pulls everything off with a straight face, and the little points drive it all home.  Such as the glass screen in the during the Black Lectroids multimedia showing that has neat phrases such as "Points of Simultuneity" (sp?).  Yes, I saw it about 6 times; one has to see it at least twice to make much sense of it, even after seeing a short list of "Things you need to know before seeing Buckaroo Bonzai".  The sound track always moves me and is worth renting it alone.  The scenes swirl from  intrigue, fascination, danger, trimuph, sadness, and hope.

What a cast!  What a plot!  It was easy to suspend belief and just enjoy it as the visionary tongue in cheek scifi movie it was, positioned right in between "Airplane" and "Matrix".  From the first viewing, I was truly ionized...
Will Stewart
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2003, 01:07:35 PM »

Oh, and the watermelon was in the vise of a Tinius-Olson machine, which is used by structural scientists/engineers to apply 100,000s of thousands of pounds of force on small structural material prototypes to understand how they deform and eventually fail.
Wisdom000
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Actually the sequel did get made...... Kinda.

Big Trouble in Little china was originally titled Buckaroo Bonzai and the World Crime League.  However due to a new director and the inavailability of the original cast, instead of a wonderful sequel to a spectacular movie, we got a completely original and equally spectacular movie.  People who like either of these films should also check out Remo Williams.  Somehow these three films make up what I like to call the ultimate 80's crazy almost superhero triumvirate.  All of them are just so bizzare and out there, you can't really compare them to anything but each other.
Jon
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The Special Edition DVD is awesome... gives some little known details on the HKC's and other characters such as Hanoi Xan... poor Penny...
Frank Burns
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is a movie where all the greats got their start. John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, and Christopher Lloyd (just to name a few) took the experience of this movie and became some of the greatest.  Goldblum was able to create to be americas favorite scientist in my childhood favorite "the Fly".  Lloyd had many great roles such as Doctor Brown in the Back to the Future epics, and who could forget his convincing stab at a camp counseler named  Lithgows roll in third rock from the sun or more better Dennis Van Welker in "Camp Nowhere"? Finally John Litgow, even though some might argue John's work in the thriller "the Day After"  got his foot in the door I would tend to disagree, there has never been anyone to nail the role of Lord John Whorfinknown as well as Jonny did.  He later when on to do cliffhanger and that serious allien thriller "third Rock from the sun".  Yes, if it was not for this "special" movie these three might not have gained the leading actor title they now have.  Thank you Richter for the idea but thank these three for Buckaroo's success in history.  
CharPin
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one of the all-time great parodies. I am the only one in my family who loves it - I've been quoting, "Laugh-a while you can, Monkey Boy!" for years, and NO ONE gets it! Sad.

Got to get the DVD - my VHS tape is just about worn out, and I can't be without this flick. Seriously fun!

I agree - "Big Trouble in Little China" and "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" are also high-camp fun, as is "Into the Night," with Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer. And has anyone seen "Deathrace 2000" with David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone?  Total kick in the pants!!  "It's a hand grenade."

Kim W.
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

1983: I am thirteen.  My best friend and I are planning on a trip to the movies.  Except, we'd initially planned to see STARMAN, but it was sold out.  Also playing at the same time, we noticed, was this little movie called BUCKAROO BANZAI.  We shrugged and saw that instead.  

It was probably a far better move for us than STARMAN would have been; we were both rather weird children.

We came out of the film babbling catchphrases to each other, and for a good two months afterward confused all our friends by shouting "What's that watermelon doing there! BWAHHHH!" to each other across rooms and cracking each other up.

2003: I am overseeing a rehearsal for a play in New York. Our show is being staged in the basement of another theater space, which is running its own show.  That other show has a series of weekly celebrity "guest stars", and the dressing rooms for both theaters are next to each other down in the basement where we are.  Also, one of the exits is through our basement theater space, so I've gotten used to random big-name actors wandering out into our basement space and looking confused; I usually just walk them over to the elevator to the street.

Anyway, on THIS night, I see another person wander out from the dressing rooms looking confused, and go over to walk him out -- and I'm halfway across the room when it hits me that it is Jeff Goldblum.  He spots me at this moment and asks for help getting out, so I make myself act professional and say I'd be happy to.  I walk him to the elevator, answer his question that yes, this does take him right out on to the street, and he thanks me.

For the rest of my life, I will be kicking myself that I did not take the opportunity to ask him, "By the way, Mr. Goldblum, what WAS that watermelon doing there after all?"
Tyler Foster
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2004, 12:51:23 PM »

Loved this movie. Any movie that has a doctor/samurai/guitar player/comic book hero has to be great.
Nashville
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie does indeed rock. If you didn't get it, I'm sorry, but...it's not FOR you.

If I may clarify an earlier post - Big Trouble in Little China has no connection to Buckaroo Banzai aside from the fact that BB's director, W.D. Richter, wrote the final screenplay for Big Trouble. That's it, that's all. These are the words of Earl Mac Rauch, who wrote BB and did not write any sequels. The "BB vs. the World Crime League" script that has circulated the internet for years is a fraud, a work of fan fiction, and was never the basis for Big Trouble. It's a fun rumor, but a rumor it is, and nothing more.
Brian
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2004, 01:45:57 PM »

The Extras on the DVD are excellent.  The best part is the commentary track, which explains how the movie is really a documentary, but they were forced to make it look like a work of fiction.
SRBoone
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Ever had one of those toons you couldn't get out of your head? I had one for nearly two decades. I'd forgotten where it came from over the years, but after buying this on DVD I have exorcised my demons.  It was the theme from BB.

This and another Weller movie "Of Unknown Origin" are his best. (that one is out also--check it out.)
Mog
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Possibly the most intelligent movie ever made.  BB reigns.  Anyone who hasn't read the book should do it now -- it has extra stuff -- like a DVD.  More characters, more in-depth background.  Footnotes even!
dave
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2005, 04:30:49 AM »

Excellent..................someone finally recoginized one of the truly great films of our time....................JOHN SMALLBERRIES!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.