Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:21:07 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai  (Read 143605 times)
Pedeka
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I wore out a VHS of this movie high school. A wonderful good time of a movie, and don't forget, "Wherever you go, there you are."
Jonny Lugnuts
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Does anyone realise that the movie wasn't supposed to be any good?

I mean, I love this film too, but the movie was supposed to be a flop, a big loss, a money pit. It was a slightly shady attempt to lose money by the production company
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love this movie.

It's the only film I know of that takes longer to explain than it does to watch.

I need to go and watch it again tonight.
IT
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Seen this one when I was in highschool and it was one of the funniest movies that I'VE ever scene.Me and my friends was tearing up the town trying to find one of those PERFECT TOMMY jackets but never did damn.
Lark Logan
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I remeber catching this film when it first came out with one of my totally "out there artsy type" friends in Boston.  There were a handful of people in the theatre at the Prudential Center and all of us...absolutely cheered and raved during the film.  Peter Weller and Jeff Goldblum were terrific, the other charcters were fascinating, and Perfect Tommy was a walking Armani ad, bleached hair and all.

I have always loved this film and can only imagine it's failure at the box office was its extremely surreal nature.  I have to say, I was disappointed the hinted sequel was never made.  

I think the line I loved the most occured during the scene were Buckaroo first sees Penny and he says something like, "No matter where you go, there you are."  That one always stayed with me.  It was just the epitome of cool!
JoJo
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this recently on T.V. late at night. It was the most eighties thing I've ever seen. Even Buckaroo Bonzai didn't seem convincing as an action hero because he looked a lot like Adam Ant. But the cheeziness somehow worked because it didn't make that deadly, all-too-common mistake of taking itself too seriously. Plus the plot involving the War of the Worlds broadcast was very clever. I could also see many similarities to "Bad Taste", which is always good.  
UKNOWHOO
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2006, 11:25:51 PM »

I love Badmovies. This is one of my favs. Also Hardware, Cherry 2000 and SHE.
Force
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Have to agree, this movie was awesome, funny, filled with action, and sooo frikking detail oriented that it confuses people used to hollywood pablum where you ONLY get the details that relate to the story.

The watermelon is kind of symbolic of the movie- it's filled with lots of stuff that doesn't necessarily pertain, but like your grandpa's workshop, it's fascinating as a whole.

That's why I think the watermelon was an experiment that Banzai was conducting as a memory storage unit based on the architecture of the human brain.

We can only theorize as to the actual contents of the watermelon, but I would think they would contain a scanned record of every comic book in existence.

I have to admit, I really liked Peter Weller's version of "Since I don't have you", and have searched to download it numerous times, with no success.
Datan0de
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

What is this sample of perfection-in-filmmaking doing on BadMovies.org?!? I adore this movie, in ways that I can't fully describe on a family-friendly web site. I couldn't guess how many times I've seen it, whether in the theater, the two different VHS copies I've worn out, the DVD, or the rip on my iPod. (Yes, I carry it with me. "Wherever I go, there it is!")

It's not my favorite movie of all time, but it's definitely in my top 10 and probably in my top 5. Thank the powers that be that the folks who put out the DVD *get* it, and gave it the treatment it deserves.

One word of warning for new Blue Blaze Irregulars- this is a very "dense" movie. You're dropped into the middle of an adventure already in progress, and there's an awful lot going on. Don't expect to fully understand everything after just one viewing, or even three for that matter. Just hang on tight and enjoy the ride!

By the way, since nobody else here mentioned it I'll state that the comic book adaptation (if you can find it) is actually quite good, and presents the story in a more easily digestible format.
Shonkin
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My idea of a perfect movie night would be a double feature with Buckaroo Banzai and Raising Arizona. Both of them are so filled with silliness delivered with completely serious faces that the giddiness each induced in me reminds me of the other. They are nothing alike. But the effects were quite like. Buckaroo became a smash hit in the communal group I was (and still am) part of; we all went around quoting it, occasionally even the "naughty" bits (John Smallberries?!). If a triple-feature were in order, I would toss UHF in, not because it is really as good as the other two, but it does have a similar flavor... anyway, thanks for reawakening the good memories.
Rick Miller
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

I saw this movie on VHS about a year after it was made,I was in high school and a pretty wierd guy(still am). The first time I saw it I peed myself. We rewound the tape a hundred times listening to why's there a there-I'll tell you later, laughing till we cried. "How you live your personal life is your business but I'm here to see a God dahm bomber", classic! And let's not forget the hunters pocking at the tree with the space ship in it with a stick. "he's crackling"-"yeh,and we're standing in water". And my all time favorite-"Akita,what is it","it's your hand Buckaroo". If you don't love this film, you have a low IQ,and just don't get it. They should play this movie at the DMV and if you don't like,you should not be allowed to recieve your drivers license!!!! Rick De La New Daddy
yodaswisdom
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

TRIVIA OF THE MOVIE (thank you IMDB)

When it came time to film the end titles sequence, where Buckaroo and pals are walking around a dry L.A. aqueduct in step to the music, the music wasn't ready. Composer Michael Boddicker told the film crew to use "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel as a placeholder because it was the exact same tempo. Those scenes were filmed with "Uptown Girl" blaring from a boom box tied to the back of the camera truck.
Kruge
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

little factoid on the side: Star Trek#s Starfleet ships all have a plaque on their bridge with ... well, the "Motto" of the ship. On the Enterprise it of course is "To boldly go (...)". I can't remember the ship's name, but according to one of paramounts secondary books about Trek there's one ship with "Wherever you go there you are!" as it's motto. :)
NightRelic
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »

Never been so bored in my life. I may have to try it again someday. I probably wasn't seeing it from the right perspective.
Tommyboybbi
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »

I enjoyed the movie the first time out in the theaters.  With a dedicated group of fans, Buckaroo Banzai has lived on.

It's 25 year anniversary is coming up on Aug. 15, 2009.

Fans from across the United states of creating meeting places in cities to share in the experience with fans.

Keep watch for more details.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.