Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:25:00 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Liquid Sky « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Liquid Sky  (Read 114226 times)
stavner
« on: January 12, 1999, 06:12:53 PM »

Actually, the human brain DOES produce  heroin-like chemicals during sex, exercise, injury, or any other strenuous experience or activity.  These substances are called endorphins.
You definitely need them after hearing Adrian sing, or after seeing this movie!
oblio88@hotmail.com
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 1999, 03:01:20 AM »

Okay, maybe it's a personal problem, but I really liked this movie (and no, I don't use mind-altering substances) -- one of my prized possessions is a promotional poster for the film autographed by Anne Carlisle.  

It's not much on plot (or logic, for that matter)...but it's a great roller-coaster ride of images and sounds, especially that relentless pounding soundtrack.  Comparing it to 'Aliens' is sort of apples-and-oranges...it's not intended to be straight science fiction, but an allegorical film...it belongs in the same file as 'Eraserhead', or the works of Stanislaw Lem.  

Thanks for giving this film some much-deserved publicity....

Jim Pennington
tabby@psn.net
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 1999, 02:19:43 AM »

Of the many, many bad films I've watched and admired, this film is special. Plan 9 From Outer Space? The Rocky Horror Picture Show? Waterworld? At least these films produce derisive laughter. It is with the utmost confidence that I can label Liquid Sky THE WORST FILM EVER!!

There are so many bad things about this film that it's easy to point to them and say they aren't so bad. But the movie isn't just a scene about a junkie model arguing with her male counterpart outside the door, or the bizarre scenes of lovers disintegrating so little alien voyeurs can harvest their hormones.

On no. The movie is a whole, and the pervasive element of the film is self-indulgent yet apathetic self-examination. The culmination of the film, where Margaret laments to a crowd of her "peers" about how the underground fashion scene forced her to abandon her identity and become androgynous, is gauranteed to drive sensitive viewers into smashing their skulls into the nearest concrete surface. Tears, vomiting(and subsequent dry heaves), cold sweat, and involuntary waste elimination are simply not enough to psycho-somatically purge your system of this film. Massive, self-inflicted head injury is the only possible release.

The only good thing that can be said about this movie is NOT that it ends; if you've watched for that long, it's too late for anyone to help you. The only GOOD thing about this film is that the DAMNED SYNTHESIZER MUSIC STOPS!!

Tabby
angus
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 1999, 05:31:44 AM »

I saw this movie at an afternoon performance one winter in a movie theatre in Belgium. The most surreal part for me was when, after two hours of a film about a demented woman having sex and doing drugs and periodically shouting "I kill with my c__t!", the lights came up at the end and I discovered that the rest of the audience was entirely composed of little old Belgian ladies. I can only assume that it was cheaper for them to go to the movies in the afternoon than to heat their apartments, and that they didn't care too much _what_ they watched ...
isabad@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 1999, 06:58:46 AM »

saw this film today at the san francisco international film fest.slava ( the director) was there in person, as was a "who's who" of the s.f. art/music/film/dance scene(jon moritsugu, i am spoonbender,metallica,etc.).i think that most of you who don't like liquid sky have very little sense of irony and should just accept your force-fed hollywood movie fate. yeah, l.s. isn't
f**king 'alien' (or perfect)but then again it had 1/50th the budget. also, it should be commended for the realistic approach to the subject matter alone.NO ONE in hollywood would have ever made a real new wave film.how many of you thought nicholas cage's "new wave" movie was great? thought so.
Patrick in Louisville
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 1999, 11:24:51 AM »

Hmmmm....Well this is definitely one of the more bizzare films I have ever seen.  I can't say that I enjoyed, but I didn't hate.  I wanted to finish watching, but my friends insisted that we turn it off.  The scene with people dancing at the "show" was incredibly strange. It made me feel like I was watching something I never was intended to see.  What were these people thinking?  Who would invest so much time into a film such as this?  Did they know it was going to make them look like complete asses?  It reminded me of any Todd Haynes film, f**king awful, but so f**king awful you keep watching to see if something, anything, will happen.
NC (a Jimmy fan)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2002, 08:52:41 AM »

I just rented this 3 weeks ago, and watched it 3 times. I absolutely thought it was great. Someone earlier wrote that it seemed dated like it should have been filmed 4 years before; to me it seemed like the tail end of this kind of fashion/culture and if it had been made just one year later then it would have been very dated and out of place. It was great to watch Paula Sheppard (she was so great in Alice, Sweet Alice). Anne Carlisle was awesome as Jimmy. Margaret was a very interesting character, but I actually liked Jimmy more. He was a very pathetically funny character. The scene leading up to where Margaret gives Jimmy a bj is one of my favorite scenes in the movie.
r van chalix
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2000, 08:16:03 PM »

your review was benighted and ignorant. this movie is a landmark of brilliant visuals and savage social comment. just because character's aren't likable doesn't mean that they have nothing to say.
the music is simply brilliant; people who don't appreciate are wasting their time watching films like this and should direct themselves to the nearest james cameron film. comparing it to crap like Alien is an insult. this movie is not some f**king mindless entertainment. it was made carefully for an audience which possess a certain degree of sophistication, which the author of the insipid review obviously failed to have. i simply don't understand why you go on so long condemning something like this:most people will never know about LS, and your feeble criticism only displays that you have an instinctive feeling that the movie is unique, but you are too dulled by your culture of conforminty to appreciate it. thus your invective. leave cool stuff alone if you can't handle it.
RvX
Foyo
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2000, 06:31:28 PM »

You know it really sucks that people like r van chalix have to condemn everybody for not having the same tastes that they do.  Get a life and stop judging everybody that you percieve to be a "conformist"...  I agree with the review... and I think this movie deserves a round on MST3K
joshu@umr.edu
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2000, 06:21:18 AM »

Silly tooth-baring folk.  Ok -- you can be a very brilliant thoughtful non-conformist and still hate this movie.  This movie is the perfect ammo for people who like to be more-underground-than-you -- I suggest that some people, merely by watching this movie, start kicking other people's asses in their own minds.  I think the movie was great in the same way "Slacker" was great.  You saw and heard a lot of things that for some reason, never get said in movies.  But it suffered from a lack of adequate casting & budget.  And I think there were spaces in between the good moments, where things had to be hacked together because of lack of patience, money, etc (both in filming and in writing).  The music is also a key area where certain types of people chime in because they know most people will "miss" why it is so obviously good music.  I happen to have a bit of this attitude myself, and am quite p**sed off at pop culture too.  How about this -- if you don't like U.S. Maple you're an idiot and I rock cause I LOVE THEM.  You're so brainwashed by your damn ricky martin!  NO.  Not necessarily.  I need to cope with how isolated I feel that nobody else likes this band.  I need to do something constructive about the fact that I can't freakin FIND all my favorite albums in stores.  

The music was too much dicking around with synths.  It was music done by a smart person, and was at times nicely synchronized with the imagery, and was at times interesting.  But at other times it seemed like half-hearted filler.  And that's not impossible -- especially when we're talking about something so bare, so on-the-virge, created by a person who is just a person.  It's not rational to think you can know.  All you can do is be affected or not be.  I make music, and some of the music in Liquid Sky reminded me of me screwing around.  I might've discarded or ignored some of the stuff they kept.  I don't think that implies I'm ignorant of my own subconscious brilliance.  

Anyways.  I betcha the filmmakers would agree this film is a bit campy.. perhaps they dont' take themselves quite so seriously.  Maybe you can get serious messages from films by not taking them so seriously.  Or literally, etc etc.  

Speaking of films to get yourself off on being so non-pop-culture.. be sure to see Julien Donkey Boy.  It's great, and it makes you feel really cool in an isolated nobody-else-likes-this way, if you're LUCKY enough to like it.  Damn fine acting too.  And directing (Harmony Korine).  I'm too long winded.  
master.node
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2000, 02:07:59 PM »

I really liked this movie.  And it wasn't just me.  The friend I was with was blown away too, and we talked it up for the next week.  Okay, yeah.  When you deconstruct it there is plenty to criticize.  But as a whole, it rocks!
Oliver
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2000, 07:44:08 AM »

Very interesting PUNK/art flick, about 4 years too late.
Lots of (dated) Bowie/New Wave imagery.  Similar in tone to Derek Jarman's 'Jubilee' and some Warhol pictures.
I thought the music was powerful & disturbing but they could also have used something by A Flock of Seagulls to lighten the soundtrack!
Eschient
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »

Where can I get one of those pipettes? I could have used one to drive through my own eye while watching this pathetic excuse for a movie. It's nothing but try-hards attempting to be "Oh-so-underground". I can just see all the behind the scenes footage...everyone pivoting between Bevis and Butthead-esque "Huh huh huh, yeah, that will be cool, huh huh huh" and thrashed coffee-house "art" students muttering "Man, that's like, so deep" as their eyes roll back in their heads.
(Z)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2000, 06:08:38 PM »

Unlike most of the people who've written comments, I really loved this film. It's one of my favorites. If someone thinks LS sucks that's their opinion. This film, like any film, is NOT for everyone. However, I agree with r van chalix, comparing this film to Aliens(vomit here) is an insult. In an industry with trendy bulls**t and yes, intolerable egomaniacs like Harmony Korine, one could benefit from watching an original film like Liquid Sky.    
ithur
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2000, 08:20:50 PM »

Okay, "Me & My Rhythm Box" is the BEAT. It predates Madonna's new single by so many years, and yet she _obviously_ bit that s--t from this movie. Y'all better recognize.  But, well, the drawback is that it's the best thing about this movie next to the premise.  Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Liquid Sky « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.