Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:52:11 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Liquid Sky « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Liquid Sky  (Read 114217 times)
Mighty Atomic Pikachu
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2000, 07:27:55 PM »

Actually, the brain DOES produce a dopamine-like substance in the "pleasure center", that's probably where the whole prospect of the 'brain chemical sucking' thing came from...

(they made me learn that in drug education class, if you must know-dopamine is one of the chemicals in cocaine that messes up your brain too.)
siggy
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is great! I didn't know there were other people out there who could relate to my love of this little film.  The movie was like a drug, where time and reason are suspended in a haze and anything can happen and does---besides the visual effects and the contagious sounds, the movie has so many classic lines about life, etc. -Adrian spiel on p**s--she is a street philosopher-pearls of wisdom that are still relevant in the new millenium in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. Margaret's character is Shakespearian in form-definitely a tragic hero. She has beauty, boyfriends, girlfriends, but no happiness and all her choices seem to drive her deeper in the hole-perhaps a sarcastic metaphor for our times!  
Honest Annihilator
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

OK, not a great film, I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't like it.  Nevertheless, if you have the patience, is an atmosphere that is truly creepy - not creepy as in 'there is a big slime covered monster waiting to jump out from behind a bush' creepy, but 'the universe is fundamentally out of whack' creepy.  And if you get into it, the soundtrack is kind of neat.

That the aliens are tiny is a neat idea - and that they are never really seen or explained in any way.  (As Gregory Benford once said: the thing about aliens is, they're aliens). And the scientist character was wonderful - we should all be so calm in the face of insanity.  

In sum: not a great movie, but not really bad like Megaforce or Spacehunter bad...  Parts of the movie (can) capture a mood that few other sci-fi movies have.
Holly
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

OK. . where is Anne Carlisle now?  She did Desperately Seeking Susan, Perfect Strangers, and Crocodile Dundee II, but I WANT TO KNOW, WHAT IS SHE DOING NOW? I can't seem to find ANYTHING on her except freaking naked pictures on the net. .  .  but anyway, this film is a must-see especially for aspiring cinematographers. . . what an eclectic variety of brain candy!!!!  
Kal
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2001, 10:46:37 PM »

This movie just had an odd way of staying with me. I really liked it a lot. Far more intruiging than your average hollywood lameness. and NO, that was NOT darryl Hannah. I watched it again and found myself wondering whatever happened to Anne Carlisle. Anyone know?
Peter Lang
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I will definitely write a more extensive comment when i got more time. Unfortunately, the different reviews are not dated - so I have no idea whether they are 2 months or 10 years old.

Just wanted to mention that i first saw this film in 1984 and watched it at least 20 times since then. One of my absolute favourites!!

As to the different ppl here who destroyed the movie: Read the comment from wobbly lettuce (Emperor Zorg) above - there is nothing to add.

I found this site by accident and just cant fight the goosebumps.

The movie was part of my youth. I watched it in different states of mind and have to admit that it is much better on dope than on mineral water. ;-) Nevertheless its DEFINITELY not a bad movie. Keep in mind the budget and  the spirit of the 80s when reviewing this film.

The fairlight soundtrack is superb and i did also very much like "Me and my rhythm box". I still listen to the soundtrack in my car from time to time

Many thanks to the poster "Margaret" who once again reminded my of this fantastic scene. Again goosebumps, when i remind the scene when they show the different pictures in Margarets life, together with this weird fairlight music.

BTW: Ive seen Anne Carlisle in a miami vice episode. Just for those who didnt know.

GREAT MOVIE.

PS: Can anybody tell me where I can get it on DVD?
Rusty
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this when it came out in the theaters. When it came out, Siouxie of the Banshees looked like them.  The art crowd who listened to "new wave" and punk looked like them.  It was a time-appropriate film.  I still own the soundtrack on vinyl and want it on CD.  Do not overanalyze - simply be satisfied with your reaction.  If you get a strong reaction, positive or negative, the film was effective.
Paul
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 03:40:32 PM »

I saw this movie at the Waverly in Greenwich Village.It had the longest run of any movie ever shown at the Waverly. Need any more be said.
Chris
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Wow, thats some heated debate on this film. Alas I have not seen it though it seems from the comments above that indeed I must locate the film in whatever form of media available and watch it to see what all the fuss is about.

The only reason I show interest in the film in the first place is that its suggested as a "Cyber-punk" genre film. I hate spoon feeder s**tty , "big dollar" , strangle the creative juices of your director or writter films and it would seem from the comments that this is the opposite.

If anyone reads this post and shares an interest in cult-cyberpunk-off the wall-different genre films then feel free to email me for a chat about em , my horizons need some broadening.

Chris -England-

PS- Has anyone found a film yet that doesn't have a love theme in it. If so please email me.

Kornopolous
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There are many works of art that envoke great passion;  Stravkinskys Rite of Spring.  The priemer in Paris, 1911 stirred a riot!  Both sides doing much to convice the other is wrong.   Late in the 20th century, we have Liquid Sky.   I love everything about it;  the "acting", the dialouge, the sets, the costumes, the aliens and... the MUSIC!!  Yes, its irritating, but if you know thats what its supposd to be.  Not everyone has an ear for Brittney spears.  Nor does everyone have an ear for this caliope induced, restoration attachment, "new wwave" sound that Slava Tsukerman lovingly titled: the score.    

If anyone out there kmnows where it is... PLEAse... HELP ME.
Bill the Persecutor
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

There is obviously a fine line between fantasy and reality, and what ever side of this line I am currently standing on, Liquid Sky is on the other.  Frankly, I didn't imagine the victims were vaporized as much as they were turned into imploding piles of aluminum foil, and it seemed more like Maragaret was hit by the ufo's "Interpretive Dance Beam" than its "Kill Freaky New Waver Chick Beam". Face it, this movie is bad.  No, really, it's bad.  Seriously.  Bad. Bad, bad bad.  It deserves its one Drop o' Goo.  It fits right into this website's line up. This. Movie. Is. Bad.  It is overdramatized, underbudgeted, and intensely monotonous.  The only reason I watched it all the way through was just to see how bad it got (which was pretty damned bad).  Oh, I admit there were plenty of artistic/philosohpical/socio-political statements made by different aspects of this film.  For example, the strong presence of sex, drugs, and horrible arrhythmic yodelling, the strange metaphor of an actress having sex with herself in third person, the goofy double entendre of "Me and My Rhythm Box", the oh-so-awful peer pressure and conflicting class issue moments, etc, etc.  But then again, I find more sense in it when I come to realize that this movie is, in fact, BAD.
Anonymous
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Obviously the most memorable line from this movie is "I kill with my c**t". Where are all my teachers? They are all dead. I killed them.

Think about when this movie was made -- 1983 -- right at the time AIDS/HIV was silently 'invading' America. I have no idea what the message or intent of the writers or producers were of this script/movie, but it is none the less prophetic in the regard that drugs (especially heroin needle sharing)/homosexuality/promescuity in the 1980's was in fact a catalyst for the invasion of tiny foreign 'creatures' (sexually transmitted virus) in America that has killed thousands and infected millions world wide (and is still rampantly invading our planet). In fact, many people are in fact 'killing with their c**ts' (transmitting leathal virus through sex).

This movie is very interesting in many regards. 1) It isn't the typical hollywood drivel that passes as culture in America. 2) Interesting post 60's psychedelic visuals that have more impressionistic interest than many of the high tech computer animated visuals of current films. 3) Some interesting synthesized music (although some of the music is truly abrasive beyond tolerance -- but wasn't the intent of the movie to be somewhat abrasive and mocking?). 4) Salient messages about the alienation of american youth in the 80's whose dreams were shattered by sex/drugs and a self-destructive sub-culture (incidentally this would be about the time that BUSH the current President was doing Coccaine by his own admission - or more precisely by his lack of denial of having done Coccaine). 5) It is a film made by people presumably trying to make 'art' as opposed to hollywood producers trying to make a buck (I can think of a dozen movies made the last few years by respected hollywood actors that are far less interesting and tolerable than this movie).

I find there to be several interesting themes and messages in this movie, and quite frankly those messages are social in nature and have little to do with science fiction per se. Although the little science fiction in this movie is no less lame than a typical star trek movie. I am also unimpressed by the gliz and glamor of high budget computer animation of many current films that despite techno wizardy having sound and fury, accomplish nothing (The Lord of The Rings comes to mind, a film that I walked out on and was truly insufferable).

Liquid sky certainly is not a bad film by any means (in fact I quite like this movie). But then, I am someone who enjoys movies like clockwork orange, eraser head and repo man and absolutely detest the latest (ad nauseum) installments of star wars. Go figure.
meankittyscratch
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Liquid Sky rocks!!!  This is one of my favorite movies of all time.  and just for the record, it's actually better sober than on drugs.
Baby Peanut
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

The music is mostly adaptations of classical pieces to the Casiotone.  This is a very new-wave retro movie.  Think Barcelona on acid.
Ben Pavsner
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The one thing I remember thinking after seeing this is "Hands down the WEIRDEST movie I've ever seen. Almost a quarter century later and...STILL THE WEIRDEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!! And I've seen some real hum-dingers, too (Harold and Maude, Brazil to name a couple). This is one movie I would like seeing again just to see it through more "mature" eyes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Liquid Sky « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.