Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:46:23 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Cars that Ate Paris « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Cars that Ate Paris  (Read 72586 times)
CG
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I was in this movie when I was 17. It was a lot of fun to make and lots of interesting characters on set. I thought the movie was garbage when I saw it. I think it's worse now. Still I laugh when I look back. It was made in a little town called Sofala, NSW, just outside of Bathurst.
Briony
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

It's a bloody great film and if you don't get it I can only look upon you with compassion.  Of course the production standards are "poorly executed" by today's standards.  It's a low budget B movie from Australia, it's not going to look like "Charlie's Angels" now is it.  

I love it because it's anarchic, sarcastic, clever, creepy and just flat out strange.  It is a truly original vision and it shows one of the great directors starting to find his voice at a very early stage in his career.  Yes, it's highly flawed and probably ridiculous at times with unlikeable characters.  It's also a bit of a cack (Australian for crazy funny) and doesn't take itself too seriously.  This was the young filmmaker mucking around and having a fine time.  I wish more people would make films like this instead of trying to make the next big Hollywood piece of cynical rubbish.

I do get why some people don't like it - it's perhaps an acquired taste or maybe you have to be in the right mood.
But the completely over the top negative reactions posted here are  bizarre.  

Honestly, if you think "The Cars That Ate Paris" is one of the worst films of all time you really haven't been around much.  Could it be that you didn't like the fact that it made you feel a bit uncomfortable/confused/stupid and this made you react angrily?  

You'd better just stick to John Carpenter or something.
Dan
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The only good things about this movie are some of the old holdens that we don't see much on the road anymore here in Australia, and that stunning blonde woman at the start.
Sarah
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I personally didn't really know what to make of this movie. I admit I've seen some movies worse than this. It could have been really funny, I guess, but instead it was just boring and kind of creepy... in a bad way. Like, a trip through the demntia patient's section in the nursing home creepy.

And yeah, I was severly dissapointed that no car ate a person. I was at least hoping maybe the cars were possessed or something, but no such luck. I guess I might have appreciated it more had the title not suggested that cars might eat some people.
Gary Roberts
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »

I LOVE this film. It's so off-the-wall and inventive in so many ways. It's almost like being caught up in some weird dream. John Meillon is great as the mayor, a real villain if ever there was one, but subtly so. The opening mock-commercial is a great touch, and there's loads of detail in the film to pick up on and enjoy. Terry Camilleri is very sympathetic as weedy little Arthur, and it's good that he's played as a rather tragic figure - going nowhere, and with nothing but a couple of cheap suitcases to his name. CARS shows just how inventive Peter Weir was at the start of his career, and I like the way it gleefully avoids categorisation: it has elements of a horror flick, a black comedy, a drama, but it's ultimately something very original. If it was remade now, it'd be much slicker, gorier and more brutal, I suppose... but it wouldn't be a patch on the original. This is no bad movie, unless you're completely devoid of humour and irony. TeddyR
Malcolm Kaksois
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »

I have said it once and I will say it again and again.THIS IS THE BEST FILM EVER MADE.
Do not listen to the people who have failed to understand.
Jigen
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »

i saw that movie in german-tv (5 years ago?!?) .. and i was horrofied  Buggedout
the best scene in my eyes was at the final as one of the cars just spiked somebody up *with an completely unaspected front-attack* and carries im away ^^
super-theatralic scene  TeddyR
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »

Rubbish, but still not as bad as Frogs.
It has a good title and that's it.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Simon
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »

I like this film a lot. The plot and characters are quirky and interesting, the story has a depth that seems to have completely evaded the reviewer and the film has a wonderful otherworldly quality about it that is evident in Peter Weir's other films such as Picnic at Hanging Rock and Witness.

I really don't think this film belongs on this site and anybody watching it expecting to get the same kind of silly, visceral satisfaction they get from bad films are probably going to be disappointed with this original and surreal little gem. This is not a bad film, it's a very good film and it's a shame there aren't more like it.
Zeek Ditty
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »

Considering myself an semi-expert in cheesy movies, I knew I would have to eventually see a movie rated at a skull.  This one was on cable so I TiVoed it.  What a waste of space!  My brain hurt trying to figure out a plot... until I realized there really wasn't one.  I even made sure to torture a friend of mine with this garbage.  Thankfully he's the forgiving type.  I have now seen a skull, can officially consider myself an aficionado of cheese, and now have to go wash my brain out with soap.
Robin
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

The fact that a few of these actors BounceGiggle went on to starring Lookingup roles in "Crocodile Dundee" and "Mad Max" does not detract from my opinion that this movie sucked, and not well.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 07:01:53 AM »

I am watching this movie right now.  I recorded id on IFC.  I will have to say is WOW Question Buggedout  My first thought (and I am about twenty minutes into the movie is) about the movie is Was the director bored and just just actually make the first reality show?  I just seemed that the director just followed people around and then the people pretended to be on camera.  I loved in the beginning of the movie it appearred to be a cigarette add.  I all of saddened wanted a smoke.  I saw the drill with the red cross tape on it.  I think the town of Paris was a junk yard that had a two grow up in it.

I could go on and I want to go but I am using most of my brain power not going insane watching this movie.  I will finish the move and then write a better comment.

Help!

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
RJ
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 04:40:55 AM »

I must admit that I went into this movie expecting something gory, but wow, I didn't expect this.

I actually liked this. It's a movie that tries to get us to think about society and the way cars have changed it. There's so much more you can read into with this movie - one piece of commentary is that car crashes and deaths are so easily accepted as a part of modern life. The title itself is a dead metaphor on how the town becomes so obsessed with cars that it literally "eats" it alive (in how the youths finally decide they've had enough of the town council trying to smother their ambitions and tear it apart). So whilst it's definitely not the best movie in the world, but it's not the worst either. It's an interesting movie and it's just a shame that the way it was marketed didn't help people's expectations.
sentrick
New Visitor

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

I must say that after reading these fantastic comments, all I can do is laugh! “They’re brilliant!“  You can ‘t have a Cult Classic without the critics, as it inspires us lunatics love it even more….
Horror, dark comedy, someone mention reality show….. Well, I do know that it was filmed in and around Sofala, NSW, (Australia) and in 1974 this would have been more like a bl**dy documentary. 
Ironically and metaphorically after they improved the road to the place, civilization moved in and changed Sofala. So the cars really did eat Paris. 
Great, great, great, great, great movie, I especially loved the “vegies “ with boxes on their heads, brilliant s**t!!!
PS. If you like this movie, checkout “Welcome to Woop Woop”
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »

This movie is terrible, I hate it. I hate Peter Weir who directed it and would like him to know that I wish to kick his ass.* For whatever reason you made this film it utterly destroys the merits you tried to reclaim with "Dead Poet's Society" - you are sick man and will spend eternity in Hell being raped by demonic 57 Chevys for this.

BuggedoutTeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Cars that Ate Paris « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.