Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:37:07 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Being « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Being  (Read 49782 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 10, 1999, 08:55:16 PM »

Nuclear waste and a cover-up protecting the interests of "Big Potato" results in a mutant creature terrorizing Idaho.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:31:22 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Steve
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

God help me...Not only have I seen this film, I OWN IT!!!
It is hysterical!  And where did they get these name actors?
Ruth Buzzi (anyone remember the LOST SAUCER?)and Martin Landau (pre-Oscar)must have been visiting family in Idaho, or maybe this is the punishment/community service actors must do when caught for a crime.  I give this movie 4 slimes...it's definitely Cheesy P. Martini!
Seek out other no-name backyard efforts like THE CHILDREN (black-fingernailed kids equal flesh-searing horror...well, not really)  and NIGHT BEAST (all lizard aliens wear silver plastic workout suits, it's a law...)for an equally funny beer night.
john page
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The best movie ever to come out of ..... o.k. the best reason never to let people on drugs make movies! Star's acting was so bad that they had to dub in voice later. That's James Keach husband of Jane Seymore "Dr. Quinn" by the way!! Any movie that starts in the middle you have to know is not going to be " Gone With The Wind"! But any movie that kills Ruth Buzzi can't be all bad. Love the star jumping on nail and limping for 3 seconds and then never having any more pain or limp!!
Dan (Trevor the Rat)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Very Slow movie with a bucnh of rednecks being terrorized by a certain "Being".  watching this movie and seeing the mother who romes the streets looking for her lost kid got me thinking that her "lost kid" had become the "Being" from being exposed to the toxic waste and such and we'd have another "monster is really a young and innocent creature that's scared and confused story" but no it couldn't be something original it was some stupid gremlin looking dude with a pickle for a head and an eye at the top of that pickle. no big ending not gonna waste my time describing it. but the telling of the monster the f**k off was great. heheheh........yesiree bob........MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Maniac
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie will live forever as an example of just how far some actors will go for a paycheque.  Jose Ferrer (CYRANO DE BERGERAC, J'ACCUSE, etc) playing a smalltown mayor who says things like "I've got ten tons of the best spuds in the county."  Dorothy Malone (THE LAST VOYAGE) as a depraved mother who still loves her son even though he mutated into a flesh eating, cyclopean mutant.  Ruth Buzzi . . .okay so her downward career spiral wasn't really THAT far; but what was the deal with that dream scene where she appeared as a witch?  Actually Jose sank even lower when he starred in DRACULA'S DOG not too long after this.
   Some people have compared this movie to THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD.  Why?  During the scene where the monster is running wild (slithering wild?) in the warehouse it looks like someone stuck a glycerin covered prop in a shopping cart and pushed it around.
   Oh well, this movie is SO unbelievably gonzo it is fun.  All the outrageous elements actually work in its favour.  That is probably the reason why I bought the videocasette.
yannick
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 08:03:21 PM »

Its now out on dvd , and its great
AkiraTubo
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I like this movie.  There is no rhyme nor reason to it but, I like it.  The monster is creepier on old, dim VHS copies.  The DVD restoration is so good you can *actually see what's going on*.  Too bad, since the final confrontation in the cyanide storage facility(???) actually creeped me out in olden days, what with the almost-competent shots of the being's eyeball darting back and forth in the dark.  Now that I can actually see the being, it's just a really stupid looking monster.
Torgo
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I picked this up on DVD not too long ago. They actually remastered it in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen if you can believe that!

but it's listed as being rated R and I had heard rumors of a gorier unrated cut that made the rounds on VHS. But my VHS copy doesn't have a rating on it and seems to be the exact same as the DVD copy.

Anyone have info on this?
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »

I have found out that the version on DVD that's rated R is actually the full uncut version of the film.

The picture quality is not too shabby as they actually took the time to give it a full anamorphic widescreen treatment.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »

There was a thread on this board about Badmovies.org being quoted on the back of the DVD.
I've tried looking for it and even searched elsewhere online but can't find it.

Can any of you find the box art for The Being DVD?
(the reverse side)
Or, try to find the thread here on this board that actually has a picture of the box art.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »

DVD Empire usually has shots of the back of the cases.  You can see the one for "The Being" here:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?item_id=694642

(click on the text under the cover image to see the back)

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »

I have this on VHS which I'm currently selling.  (See buy/sell/trade board)

I need to remember to pick it up on DVD.  It's been a long time since I've watched my VHS copy and I'd love to see it on DVD.  Hopefully the transfer isn't as dark as the VHS.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »

It has been a while since I watched the DVD, but I remember it being a big improvement over the VHS (not a dub) that I had.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Phantazm
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:59 PM »

Ruth Buzzi (anyone remember the LOST SAUCER?)

With Jim Nabors, right?  Yeah, I remember it...now why in the name of God did you have to remind me?  Couldn't you have mentioned Jonathan Harris in "Space Academy" instead?  Now that was classic sci-fi!  *ahem*
Torgo

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 10:40:49 PM »

It has been a while since I watched the DVD, but I remember it being a big improvement over the VHS (not a dub) that I had.

This is one of my personal favorite bad movies. I realize that it's completely painful for most people to sit through, but I've always found it to be a hoot.

I particularly like the part in which The Being is "hiding" in Mortimer's bed at his place.

That and the whole "I got it"  "I'll go call the Mayor" exchange is script writing at its best.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Being « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.