Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:45:13 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Samurai Spirits « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Samurai Spirits  (Read 21483 times)
Stefan Robak
« on: July 31, 2000, 07:40:57 AM »

A source has told me that the villain of the movie is actually male.  I pray to God he's wrong: the feminine voice and body?  How can it be male.  So from this point on let's refer to it as "it"
Mike Berkey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2000, 03:05:26 PM »

Actually, it's based on a video game that was released for the NeoGeo some 7 years ago.  The Japanese name was translated as "Samurai Spirits."  However, it was released in most of the rest of the world as "Samurai Shodown."  4 games total were released for the NeoGeo (other consoles followed);  they all featured fantastically beautiful animation and art and jaw-droppingly bad translation and dialogue ("This place reeks of evil...and gym socks!").

Unfortunately the Japanese are in the habit of making animated adaptations of their more successful fighting games (Streetfighter and the King of the Fighters both come to mind).  This was the worst.  When even the first video game in the series has better art work and animation than the movie, you know something's wrong.  What was up with Charlotte's chin?  It looked like you could impale people with it!

The main villain of this movie, Amakusa, is actually the son of Hanzo, the ninja grandmaster, who doesn't seem to appear in this movie, as I recall.  Yes, he's male.  I think he was also possessed by a demon at some point, so forgie him...
Rattymelon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I was going to say that Amakusa was a 'Bishoonen' but someone beat me to it. ;-p

Rat
SH
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

May be picky, but Amakusa is NOT the son of Hanzo! Amakusa Shiro Tokisada was an historycal character, actually: he led a Christian revolt against the government.
Jeez, a tranvestite freak fighting for the good ol' values of Christianity. I'd DIE to hear what the Pope thinks of that...
GTO
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Darksoldier, despite a strong showcasing that you have no life, you forgot to mention some things:

"Galford" is actually based on a historical figures: German Cpt. Heimler Mullens.  He skilled with a rapier and was a key individual in Japan's move to Westernize (with the help of Germany) and ended up living in Japan indefenitely, though I guess they made Galford live in the U.S. cause they seem to get this notion that everyone in the U.S. has blonde hair.
Yes, I suppose Japan has a fascination with German folk, I think it's cuz Germany makes better cars.

"Earthquake", believe it or not, is loosely based on George Bush Sr. See, when the first SS was being made, it was around the same time when George Bush made that famous visit to Japan (something about selling U.S. cars in Japan; it didn't work out) and blew chunks on the Prime Minister. Long story short, Japan depcicts Texans as reckless gluttons, thus making a fat ninja guy from Texas as one the SS characters. The ugliness part of Earthquake might be a homage to Barbara Bush.

"Apple Boy Ukyo" is not suffering from tuberculosis.  He's actually suppose to be anemic.  In Japan, it's a common stereotype to depict beautiful people (usually with white skin) as anemic (I don't know why... Japan's weird).  Another example would be Hyatt from Excel Saga.

"Yagyu Jubei" is 'NOT related to that Fatal Fury guy', (?) Do you think they meant Geese Howard?
DarkSoldier
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm a fan of the Samurai Spirits games, though I haven't seen this movie (thankfully). Lemme enlighten you as to who the schmucks in this movie are:

Haohmaru: Based on Miyamoto Musashi, could be considered the main character of the game, since he's rather generic.
Wan-Fu: An amalgam of Da Dao Wang Wu (died in the Boxer Rebellion) and King Wu Wang (ca. 1100 BC). In SS2, he wields a stone pillar.
Nakoruru: She's Ainu (Japanese aboriginal). Her hawk's name is Mamahaha, and she later gains a wolf companion named Shikuru.
Galford: A ninja from San Francisco, even though California was Spanish territory back in the 1780's. His dog's name is Poppy, not Puppy, it's female, and she has a small litter.
Charlotte: She's based on Oscar Francois de Jarjayes, the heroine of a 1970's manga called "The Rose of Versailles."
Tam Tam: An amalgam of Aztec, Maori, and Inca, a protector of an Amazon village.
Amakusa: When they say Amakusa is Hanzo's son, they're partially correct; the evil spirit of Amakusa possessed his son Shinzo. Amakusa Shiro Tokisada was also a historical figure (17th century), just as (SH) indicated, but he wasn't a transvestite freak.

The Other Guys
Earthquake: A Texas ninja who tips the scales at over 1000 pounds. Texas was also Spanish territory at the time, I believe.
Senryo Kyoshiro: The Kabuki guy. He's based on Kabuki theatre and a guy called Nemuri Kyoshiro (roughly "Sleepy Deranged Person") who lived in the 17th century.
Yagyu Jubei: The "eyepatch guy" and the only real samurai in the series. Works for Tokugawa (the government) and is based on a historical samurai named (oddly enough) Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi (1606-1644).
Hattori Hanzo: The black-clad ninja, based on Hattori Hanzo Masashige (1541-1596), who helped defeat Oda Nobunaga.
Shiranui Gen-An: The little green dude with the claw. He's a bakemono (generic Japanese demon), and NO, HE IS NOT RELATED TO SHIRANUI MAI from Fatal Fury!
Tachibana Ukyo: Was he even in this movie? Blue hair, blue pants, wields a sword cane and has tuberculosis. He's based on Sasaki Kojiro Genryu, Miyamoto Musashi's rival, and possible Zatoichi, the blind swordsman.
vicMAN
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

In regards to Samurai SHowdown ( the Game ), Genjuro was a real dude as well.  He was supposedly the bodyguard of Toyotomi.  However, the Tokugawa sent a ronin samurai, supposedly, to kill Toyotomi but was unsecssesful and instead had to remain content with killing just Genjuro.  It's said that probably one of the most awesome swords fights ever to take place in Japan At that time.  After that fight the romin samurai was killed who is said to be Yojimbo, although i think that is doubtful.  :)
       I just like to say something about Shiro Amakusa; supposedly, he was killed by Yagyu Jubei who later had to fight his father, Munenori Tajima Yagyu, who was said to have become a demon and was becoming too hellish, no pun intended, and so that they had a really awseome sword fight and Yagyu Jubei won.
        Everything else on here is true.  Althugh i did'nt know that Ukyo was based on a real person which is reallly cool i think.  Anyways, see ya have fun guys.  : )

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Samurai Spirits « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.