Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:31:56 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Silent Hill « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Silent Hill  (Read 23735 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 08, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »

The terrifying secret of the town of Silent Hill is that nobody knows what is going on.  The pyramid-headed sadistic ogre that rips people's skin off is also pretty scary.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »

This film has some great disturbing imagery but hardly a plot.  Its kinds of like building a house with the finest wood the forest has to offer and using scotch tape to hold them together.  In non- metaphoric terms, where the hell is the plot?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BTM

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

I'm working on a music video with clips from this movie to Korn's "Here To Stay".  :)

(Sorry, had to do some shameless self-promotion!)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Lurple
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »

Agreed; A great looking movie but it just seemed so lacking in other ways.  I hoped for more from director Christophe Gans after his amazingly crazy and cool Brotherhood of the Wolf.
Kyo
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »

Watch and learn, Uwe Boll...
Eva02soul
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »

The Goop-spitting monsters were actually monsters from the second Silent Hill Game, which is an odd choice as the second game is a different story from the religious tones of 1 and 3. They're confined in straitjackets and move awkwardly to show the main character's feelings of repression and frustration, and they shoot goop because it's cool and annoys the player.

The Massive holes in the ground are in the game too, and while they are basically used to keep the player moving in the right directions thematically, they are done very subtly. In fact I dont remember one instance of attention ever being brought to them by the game itself.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »

A+ visuals, D- script.

Still pretty fun as long as you don't feel the need to know what's going on all the time.  The bloodbath finale is apocalyptically memorable.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cassie
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »

Ugh, I HATED this movie.  The visuals weren't enough to distract me from the story.  I kept trying to make it make sense--which, of course, it doesn't!

I guess that's what I get for watching a video game movie and expecting a coherent plot...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »

Heh... what a movie I watched.  Its the only video game to movie adapation I had ever seen, outside of Pokemon (Which is more video game to anime then to movie adaption).  It was pretty good and the story was a bit decent, though I had to research the ending just to figure out what happened.  The visuals were nice and setting was perfect, it felt as if the characters were truly in Silent Hill instead of a cheap rip off that remotely feels like it.

The monsters were amazing.  The one that stole the show was Pyramid Head.  He looked amazing and his entrance was pretty neat.  Sadly, they didn't show enough of him!  He had like 3 scenes that I can recall where he played a big part and that was it!  My monster/horror completely forgotten later in the movie!

On one last note, I saw to God that I saw a person that shouldn't been in the movie.  It looked like a film crew member in the background.  It was in the dark corner of the church when Rose entered for the first time.  I swear I saw someone who shouldn't have been there!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 08:23:41 AM »

If guys who make video game adaptations followed the game's blueprints exactly, then I think they would still end up with a bad movie, but one that doesn't disappoint as many people who have played the games.

BTM

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »

Although one thing I thought was kind dumb was how they changed the plot around from the game in the movie.  In the game, the religious order were NOT a big group of fundamentalist Christians, they were trying to bring about the rebirth of ancient, evil god by uniting the good part of the little girl with her evil doppelganger that was left in Silent Hill years ago.

Or something like that, I didn't to play the first game because I've never owned a Playstation.

I guess they changed it because of "simplicity" or because it's been in vogue for the past several decades in Hollywood to portray all persons of any sort of Judeo-Christian belief as complete wackjobs.

I hear they're doing a sequel, hope they base it on the second game (which I have played as it was released on the PC) which has a more coherent storyline.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:22:48 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »

If you haven't yet, I recommend this one for its relative originality. Pay attention, don't expect it to focus on any one game, don't expect any creature explanations beyond "the town's survivors are trapped in their own purgatory," and you'll enjoy it. 

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »

Considering that Roger Avary wrote the script, I was really appalled at how poorly written it turned out to be.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Ty Hardpeck
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »

They tried to make the movie too good by having a plot that was deep and complicated. The end result was nobody got it. If they would have calmed it down a bit they could have had a great horror movie. I find it funny when people feel to be taken seriously they need to make things overly complicated. Then again, I can see the desire to make something complicated in order to separate this film form the video game to movie crap Uwe Bowl puts out.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

I know so many bash it, but I love this movie!  Seriously.  I was actually not disappointed, and it was a bit freaky at points. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Silent Hill « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.