Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:52:08 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Six-String Samurai « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Six-String Samurai  (Read 81210 times)
« on: April 27, 1999, 08:58:51 PM »

Let's face it: Six String Samurai was never meant
to be a -serious- film.  On the other hand, it's
one of the most fun films that I've ever seen.
It's by far the greatest post-Apocalyptic
Alternate History Sushi Western ever created.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 1999, 01:22:28 AM »

This film is good... What can i say, it has the 2 best things on earth: kung fu and rock and roll.
Dalbychan
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 1999, 12:20:30 PM »

Four words: Live action American Anime.  Seamlessly melds almost every single aspect of American culture imaginable into a single unified whole.  Hilariously Surrealist humor.  Only "Army of Darkness" and "Le Visiteurs" (sic) come even close.  Leave reality at the door, and "Follow the Yellow Brick Road, homey."
Forrest
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2000, 09:09:11 PM »

This film is worth watching for one line. WindMill Man: "If I were you, I'd be running!" Buddy (our hero): "If you were me, you'd be good looking." hehehehe thats superhero wit my friends.
Evil Edsel
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2000, 08:44:06 AM »

Just a note: the plural of Elvis is Elvi (like fungi, OK?)
S.Rose
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2000, 02:13:34 PM »

I think buddy is sexy.  
If I were the kid, I will follow him around too!  But why does he whine?  
I also enjoyed the different "take" on Elvis.  The Six-String Samurai kicks GraceLand's ass anyday.  
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2000, 07:29:21 PM »

The Red Elvises have their own website at www.redelvises.com.
Zhenya
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2000, 02:23:24 AM »

The film was tons and tons of fun to watch! Perhaps what some of you guys need is
to be russian and to like rock 'n roll better.
As hilarious the movie is, though, I suggest you go for some Red Elvises CD's
instead. They are even more so, complete with the accent, and off the wall lyrics.
Velocity
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2000, 07:41:09 PM »

When this movie recently screened on Showtime (around 4:30 AM), I was on my way to bed, and---judging from the opening sequence---I figured this was just another artsy-fartsy independent film (a perfect reason to nod off). But then "Buddy" arrived on the scene (Jeff Falcon playing a badass version of Buddy Holly with a samurai sword), and I was startled wide awake.  The intro to this film sets an unlikely stage: A nuclear apocalypse happened in 1957, the Russians WON, and Elvis Presley became the King of Las Vegas... Oooooookay. More recently, since the King's death, Rock-Warriors (such as Buddy) have been making a pilgrimage to Lost Vegas to assume the empty throne. The movie takes some getting used to, so put on your Hokey Hat. It starts out hokey, gradually becomes sort of endearing, suddenly falls back to hokey, and finishes off sluggishly, awkwardly, like a runner who used up all his juice on the first quarter-mile. DOES have fairly good soundtrack, if you are into Rockabilly and Russian Surf music (soundtrack is better than the film, by a longshot). Totally unnecessary child-interest (somebody PLEASE put that whining brat out of his misery), but some really GOOD camerawork in places, somewhat reminiscent of Woo.  Don't get me wrong, this movie is bad with a capital B, but it's strangely hypnotic.  And, god help me, after 15 minutes I realized that I was tapping my foot to the soundtrack.
Daniel DiCenso
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2000, 09:41:52 AM »

Man, This movie was so cool!  I got it on video and it's still a joy to watch!  I agree with Dalbychan, this movie is basically an Anime film made live(and done right too!).

Ironically enough, the video is available from Manga video if yer looking for ir.  Manga also distrbutes hard core anime titles like Devilman, Ninja Scroll and recently Perfect Blue.  Rather appropo, ne?
Daemon Squirrel
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2000, 02:15:41 AM »

Wickedest of wickeds! Six String Samurai ignores plot, acting and coherence to bring more of what you want: One awesome retro rollercoaster ride into the apocalypse! Foregoing the traditional reason of an intense rivalry Death seems to despise Buddy intuitively. Somehow, most likely through Buddy's rock'n'roll-magic aura, Death fears Buddy more than any other contender. Apparently Death's reasons are well founded as Buddy manages to severely thrash several hundred rather disgruntled commies, but finally is defeated by a certain unnamed toddlers stupidity.(p**s Me off!) However lacking in certain key elements, I definitely vote for a sequel. (Think spielberg'd be interested?)
Jettison Jones
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2000, 12:18:27 AM »

Amazing. If you were to crawl into my mind via my nose, this movie is what you'd see. I too, now, want to tape a katana blade to the back of my 1957 hollow-body guitar and make a pilgrimage to Vegas... maybe I can be King!... as soon as Elvis dies and Russians wipe out the planet. What about that stock footage from New Mexico, eh?!? Never can see enough stock destruction. Why use so much money on special effects to blow up stuff when the world governments do it for free?!? All I can say is... I never saw Elvis take down a Communist battalion. Buddy should be King... for the greater good of mankind. Go see this movie. It will change your life(or deplete you of one).
ithur
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2000, 04:41:36 AM »

This movie, minus the urchin, was wonderful -- every damn time that kid opened his mouth I found myself yelling "Shut up, Anakin!" at the screen.  It was kind of hard to get past that at times though it was clear that this flick needed an annoying tagalong...I just resented that they had to make the kid more annoying than even the wee man in "It Happened at the World's Fair."

And perhaps the plural of "Elvis" should be "Elvaes"...?
I dunno, ask a Latin student.
Lan
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2003, 03:48:36 AM »

This is not merely a movie.  It is a state of mind; the sort of movie that adheres to your very soul.  It is a phenomenon, a lone fragment of the universe that fills the special void in all our lives, that being our hungering desire to seek the greatest b-movies of all time.  No where else will you witness clever allusions to the Wizard of Oz, Clint Eastwood films, and the ever present dichotomy between classic rock and heavy metal music all in a period of 2 hours.  There are two groups of human life on this Earth; those who have seen Six-String Samurai, and those who have not.
Spoodle
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Six String Samurai is hella-sweet!  The best movie I've seen in years, in my opinion.  I have it on tape, but recorded from HBO on TV.  To hell with screwing around on the net to get a copy of this fine gem!

I can also easily say that the main character, Buddy, is the most bad-assed movie hero I have ever seen in my entire life.  Buddy takes s**t from nobody!  His fight against the Red Army was absolutely brilliant.

The only problem about Six String Samurai I found was that either viewers will LOVE or HATE this movie.  There is no middle ground like "It was OK..." with this movie. I brought my tape to school one day and I was actually threatened with suspension because my homeroom teacher said it was so horrible.  "Turn that garbage off," she said.
Narrow-minded b***h.  Grrrrr....

Finally, I have heard a pretty fantasic rumor going around on the official Six String Samurai message board (sixstringsamurai.com) , and others all over the net.  The rumor is that Six String Samurai is actually the final part of a very long story (a trilogy of short tales) written by the director.  Let's all hope so, and keep our fingers crossed.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Six-String Samurai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.