Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:36 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Toxic Avenger « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Toxic Avenger  (Read 56749 times)
haknort@webtv.net
« on: May 02, 1999, 12:36:30 AM »

Why only three slimes?  If ever a movie deserved five, it's this one.  Lloyd Kauffman and the maniacs at Troma did something that no one else in the 80's, or even the 90's, has done since: they found a niche market in gorehounds and exploited the market brilliantly.  No film ever has directly catered to sex and violence mongers in such a straightforward, unpretentious manner.  Everyone reveres Raimi's Evil Dead, and Carpenter's Halloween, but no one gives Toxies his kudos for giving a jaded, thrill-seeking audience exactly what it wants. And the best part is, everything works.  The ridiculous violence, the absurd over-the-top acting, the bad jokes, the hyper-stereotypes, the gratutous nudity, it all hits the mark as both a parody, an exaggeration, and an homage to the horror films of the 80's.  Troma will never again be able to recapture that inspiration, and the few who do (Jackson's Bad Taste and Dead/Alive, Raimi's Evil Dead 2, Street Trash, Re-Animator) get called classics. Too bad the sequels sucked.
Tom Cole
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 1999, 04:22:12 PM »

What is up with the rating. This kicks ass and boy-howdy that sure looks like they crushed a real kid's head on camera. When I first saw this movie it was shown on UK TV's Bravo channel. They censored it. Lousy bastards. You'll laugh when Slug gets killed but you wont know why. Oops I gotta run time for my lobotomy.
kjw
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:23:01 AM »

What a great classic with a huge cult following.I thought that the black actor in the restaurant who tells Sara that his name was Ben and she says to him Ben who,he says bend over was a right.That guy looked and reminded me alot of how Richard Pryor used to look before his health deteriorated.His humor too reminded me alot of Pryor.
SaMhAin
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 1999, 07:37:18 AM »

I am definately not going to pretend I like this movie no matter what the other reviews say! .The first time I watched it,my expectations were very high because I had read so many good reviews about it,but just sat there the whole running time with my jaw open at how unbielevably stupid it was.I almost demanded my money back from the video store.But then I saw it on sale about a year later very cheap and thought that maybe there was an element of humour I had missed.So I watched it again and only lasted about 10 minutes,I just wasn't in the mood,then gave it another chance one day when I was in the mood and watched the whole thing.Yes,I still think its as bad (WORSE!) than the first time I saw it and just as bad as any Troma flick.If you're reading Kaufman or Hertz, sorry guys but your movies really suck!
Normajeane
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2000, 12:17:38 AM »

Wow - Saw this the first week it was in theatres. It is the only movie during which I have ever truly been able to have sex.  Ha ha!  Gotta count on Tromaville to keep the patrons away.  My favorite Troma, although (was it?) Nuke Em High was fun (if that is the right title!).  Definitley set the standard.  And, Toxic Avenger 2 Electric Boogaloo sucked.
adam
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2000, 02:27:51 AM »

What the hell happened to Julie?It makes no sense that her death happens off screen.And whats with all of the testicle violence?Cigar Face gets hit in the nads I don't know how manty times and Toxie gets thwacked with a cane.
Stefan Robak
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2000, 07:42:46 PM »

This reminds me of that Toxic Crusaders cartoon from the early 90's.  It was dumb but I liked it. (of course I was like 9 at the time)  I do remember this one part where Toxie is walking down the street with happy music playing and birds chirping.  Then a bad guy is about to attack him and the music turns bad.  Then he goes, "That's odd.  Were did all the pretty music go?".  It was bad but I still kinda want to see it again.
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2000, 07:35:27 AM »

Oh comon! THE TOXIC AVENGER is not a bad film. The unoffical nudity and sex don't really help, but it is still a good film in it's small visual ways. Highly recommended and I suggest that the person who reads this will see the Director's Cut on video or DVD>
Budd
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2000, 08:32:06 PM »

Never understood the good reviews for this movie either. I didn't find it particularly witty or entertaining, even in a "camp" way.
Jordan Garren
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Have you ever noticed anything strange about police Chief Himmel's name? Lloyd is a genius! Himmel = Hi + mmel.
Hi being the first two letter's of HItler's name and -mmel being the last four letter's of RoMMEL's name! Just thought I'd point that out!
Fubar
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Bad film that was very fun to watch.  You have to realize the satire to really appreciate it.  It is obvious that the movie was made to seem intentionally corny, and once that is understood, you are able to sit back and enjoy.  One of the very few movies that elicited verbal responses from me, usually sounding something like this; "that was sick" or "I don't believe they [the Producers] did that".
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The Toxic Avenger series is my favorite!  I can always count on Troma to provide me with everything I need.  Good movies, great laughs, eye-poping special effects, violence, sexy, blonde, chicks, and awsome acting!
However, I was dissapointed with SGT. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.  I read about it online before it came out.  I was on the edge of my seat, anticipating destruction and carnage released through Griswold's Kabuki arsenal.  Unfortunately SGT. Kabuki Man N.Y.P.D did not utilize his flying sushi, heat seeking chopsticks, or flying flipflops as much as I wanted him to.  On top of that there wasn't enough random violence.  The only part was in the begining when the little kid gets it. Anyway, I still loved the flick and think it has great potential and endless possibilities for sequels.      
Fred
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie is f**king awesome! It has everything you could want from a movie: sex, violence, gratuitous nudity and stomach churning violence.
Good on you Troma!!
My recommendation: watch the Directors Cut to appreciate the head-crushing scenes in full detail.
Josh Varium
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

(Original email address, huh?) Okay, TOXIE RULES! sex! Violence! Blood! Guts! (literally, GUTS!), Green Vomit! TOXIE! This girl i know thinks he's pretty cute, too (Girl? Who am i kidding? If I'm gonna come outta the closet it totally should be for Hideously Deformed Monster Heroes of Superhuman Size and Strength From New Jersey...)

Watch the damn film! Again and again and again and again and then one more time. Then buy the sequels. And every other Troma movie in existence. Then watch them. Again and again. And then wonder why you have no friends, you loser...
SickBassix
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

People that did'nt like this movie just lack a certain sense of humor, a kind of humor ofund at horror nights at cinemas, this is where I  first saw this flick, laughed my ass of, as did the whole theatre.
And indeed, th bycicle kid is one of my fave scenes.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Toxic Avenger « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.