Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:52:19 AM
712923 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Wizards  (Read 305234 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Avatar, a good wizard who looks like a beard and a pair of feet wearing a magician's hat, must stop his evil brother from resurrecting the Nazis and conquering the elves.  Review updated on 13 December 2008.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:02:14 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
kx9x@uiuc.edu
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 1999, 09:32:22 PM »

I cannot believe the review of this movie. This guy totally misses the point of the whole film, not to mention the fact that he performed the absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE act of giving away the ending in his review. SHAME ON YOU!

"Wizards" is a product of the 70's. It's groovy, it's anti-war, and it is a work of genius. Comapred to today's computer animation, it will fall flat. However, it is still VERY visually appealling, the story is not all that far-fetched as the reviewer makes it out to be (Hey, we've got archaeologists now, don't we?), and it's simply a hell of a lot of fun. There's a lot going on in this movie; some slapstick, some social commentary, and even sex and violence, all packaged nicely in a science fiction/fantasy wrapper. The movie is absurd because WAR is absurd. It also reminds us that history will repeat itself if we don't remember it; some crazy SOB will come along and dredge up crud from the past. I'm truly sorry this movie went over the reviewer's head. Check it out..it is worth your time.
Nattalie Query????
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 1999, 11:19:09 PM »

Well I'm a young teen-ager from the 1990's but I loved this movie.  And as for mister anonymous, did you just read the box or did you actually watch the movie? The movie I believe is far from gay!!!!!  But there were still a few problems that I found with it.

If I were to put the end of the movie into food terms, I would call the end not filling.  And I really have a problem with the fact that when Peace dies no one seems to acnowledge his death.  In fact they don't seem to acnowledge him at all after that point. The lack of acnowledgement of death by any of the other characters gives the misguided impressiion that he'll come back later in the movie.  And I really think he should have had someone to mourn over his death since he was really good at heart. Also I would like to know more about the other three lights the "pet" was talking about in the begining?

But besides any of that I am in complete agreement with the first two people who loved this movie. I seems to be totally over this web pages critics head. This movie is greatly worthwile, and the critic completly misses the point, plot, and doesn't say squat about the story line
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 1999, 12:09:36 AM »

Okay, I've officially gotten tired of half-wits saying the movie went over my head.  First off - anything which throws multiple scenes of inept Nazi-powered demons slaying settlements of good and kind elves is obviously making some war statements.  Let's get down to nitty gritty with that, it's directly addressing the evils of Nazi Germany in World War II - which was quite honestly a country lashing back at the injustices they endured after losing World War I.  (Which they started in the first place, but I'm not commenting on Hitler here.  I'm commenting on the generic working class German, they felt unfairly burdened by the reparations and other limits imposed by France and Britain.)  Now, do you really want to debate World War II with me?  What did strike me about this film was the "feel" of it, the dark and brooding, sometimes helpless theme - and yet there is comedy.  Not entirely black humor either, just cartoon slapstick.  Four slimes means I liked the movie... ...and, "They killed Fritz!" still leaves me chuckling.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
J.C.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 1999, 05:27:21 AM »

This movies GREAT!!! I'm a fan of bakshi and this is one of his best in my opinion. Peace and avatar
are my favorites in this movie and the "THEY KILLED FRITZ!!!" part is priceless. To the anonymous person who had asked if there was a part 2, no there isn't but this movie was a "practice" movie that bakshi made before he did a animated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkiens "The Lord Of The Rings" which came out a year after Wizards and is wery similar to wizards. Perhaps your brother saw "lord of the rings" and thought it was wizards 2? The company that made lord of the rings doesnt make the tape anymore but alot of blockbusters(at least where i live) have copys for rent in the "animation" section if your interested in checking it out.
Warren H.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 1999, 01:51:48 PM »

This movie was good, and had some very powerful moments in it.  Such as when a fairy women trained as an opera singer is forced to perform as a stripper instead.  The look of shame and humiliation on her face as she prepares to disrobe disturbed me to no end.  The movie does a very good job of making you think about how the common people suffer most in a war.  I'd like to congratulate Ralph Bakshi for making this.
The Jackal
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2000, 10:43:30 PM »

Unfortunatly this movie is not what everyone says it is , the roto - scoping animation is just an excuse for laziness on behalf of R. Bashki. He has made several animated films that all have one underlying theme...BORING!!!! I love all sorts of animated films from disney to Transformers, but his films are lame at best and downright badly animated. Maybe this is why you have never heard of anything made by this man past the seventies ...all the weed wore off and everyone realized his stuff was s**t. Other than that a fine example of a bad movie.
Sam Skjei
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2000, 01:06:33 AM »

I loved this movie, I could'nt figure out the plot (it jumps around alot and seems to skip parts) but all together I liked it.  Except for the 5 minute sections where the armies appeared and bogged down the movie.  I also got the feeling that avatar was a old drunk and his brother (from his one speach) was only trying to help the mutants?  Oh well it still was a great flick.

"They killed Fritz"
WDK_Dave
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2000, 01:43:59 PM »

I think Wizards is probably one of my all-time fav movies.
My only problem with Bakshi, Is how he rips-off other artists for his artwork. Fritz the Cat was in-total taken from Robert Crumb's work and Wizards was taken from Vaughn Bode' (Check out Cheech Wizard & Cobalt 60).
Other than that, I think his work is almost a genre unto itself.

'Nuff said.
crazed mage
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Who cares what the movie looked like. I watched it, i don't
Think about how it was made was the point at all. The story was more important to me. I learned that if we forget we are doomed to repeat. I learned that true evil comes from a idea not the person who created it. If we don't watch what we are doing in life we destroy ourselves. Perhaps even it's not the Idea of peace but keeping peace. If what we do does not serve us we should not let us master us. Why not let them make another i would watch it. Look at half the crap they put on the video shelves. Adults would rent part 2 (if they make it) just because it's a adult cartoon movie. As for a bad movie well, they could have done better with the stock footage, but you have to admit it's diffrent and thats what makes it fun. I would rent wizards again it's a great drinking movie.
Vishnu
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one of my all time favorite animated movies! Bakshi's work, the character personalities, and the depth and meaning of the story make it a "must have" for your personal video library. The wit, humor, and wisdom folded in the story still make my arm-hairs stand on end. Great story, great characters, and great animation!!
Roni
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I have loved Wizards since it hit the theatre. I think that many people see this movie as a bad movie because of some of the heavy-handedness in the plot, animation and dialog.  Nobody seems to disagree that the plot (The mutants at the brothel) and dialog ("Fritz! They've killed Fritz!")are a less-than-subtle anti-war diatribe.  But the animation -- or to listen to others, the lack of animation -- works at the same level because it too is a heavy-handed juxtaposition of "actual" filmed events in an animated format and incorporated directly into the story.

But while we are all overwhelmed by the heavy-handed techniques used by Herr Bashki, we dismiss some of the subtleties as just idle attempts at humor.  There is indeed a very strong anti-war message, but still Bashki doesn't seem to say that the fairies' struggle against the mutants is wrong, but only unfortunate and unavoidable.  And  good's use of evil's means and back-stabbing methods is vindicated by the very humor that seems to trivialize the message at the climax of the movie.

This movie is a gem.  I have enjoyed this movie since it hit the theatres and I still enjoy it today.
Loszhor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The first time I saw this movie was on the Sci-Fi channel and it was from the part where Peace was spying or something on that blackhaired elf while he was at some shrine or altar in the woods and he he turned all of a sudden and he and Peace went over the cliff.I still need to see it from the begining.It's quality of animation reminds me abit of how Warner Bros. did some of their cartoons around that time.I liked this movie because it doesn't sugarcoat the violence that typically comes with war and how you can tell it got some inspiration from battles in both world wars(ie when Blackwolf first used that projector with the propoganda on the entrenchment,some dialouge the elves used kinda explains it.).
Reverend.Judge
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

First time I saw the movie was when I was in the fifth grade.Dad rented it.Said he saw it when it came ot in the theaters.This movie is pure genius.Any body know about the sequel?I read years ago in some magazine that there was a "highly praised sequel".Does it exist or what?I have been searching for years!!!Bakshi is truly the dark Walt disny!!!
Matt Porter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Yes, my two cents.

Wizards is a thought-provoking movie, especially the second time around.  And doubly especially if you have the RPG made from the movie so you can read some more of the background. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.