Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:04:36 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Wizards  (Read 305256 times)
Flux Capacitor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Because I saw it when I was six years old. It scared the p**s out of me and made me cry and have nightmares for a week. But it was the FIRST thing of it's kind. And I bet that any cartoon put out now that isn't 'kosher', can be attributed to Bashki's influence.

I don't know why it's on this site, though. Is there a Goodmovies.org?
Jill Berlin
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

If you ask me, I have to declare "Wizards" as hands down the worst animated movie of all time and Ralph Bakshi the bad boy of the animation world.  Everyone should know that Bakshi's cartoons are not only not for children, but also not for adults with a sense of decency.  I like animated movies that play for adults as well as children, but who was "Wizards" really made for?
   When there is a cartoon involving nuclear war, Nazis, fairies in see-through outfits selling their bodies, a bloodied horse, a monster ingesting a hanged human,  barbaric warfare, and then the scene where cute li'l Avatar shoot his villainous Nazi brother Blackwolf near the end of the film, I really wonder how any parent can allow their young ones to see such trash.  Then there is Bakshi's dizzying combination of animated styles - one cartoonish animation, then his annoying rotoscoping of war footage, and then the live action Nazi propaganda newsreels all in the battle scenes of the film.  
   Oh, yes, I have to add that just because Avatar looks and actslike he should be in a Disney movie, that doesn't mean that Avatar is a children's cartoon character.  He is mixed with Elinore, a crudely drawn version of Tinkerbell, and other fairies and elves also drawn so suggestively.
   All in all, go ahead, you can disagree with me, but I think "Wizards" is the pits.  If you want to see better animated features about wizards, rent "The Hobbit," "The Return of the King," and "The Sword in the Stone."  For more lighthearted animated fantasy fare for both kids and adults, see the recent "Shrek," where the crude humor is more underlying there than in "Wizards."    
Necron99
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie and Captain planet alerted me to the harsh realitys of life early on, so i was prepared and smarter towards the ideals later on in life. At the time i obviously with my immuture ideas i took the information wrongly, but now i remember i saw nukem blasting radiation out of his hands to kill the planeters was fun and i always hoped that he would hit them, i also hoped he would disory the o-zone this time. But later on i remember this and i can tell that it has affected me into becoming
anti-war and pro-enviromental. Not only that i didn't have to go though the shock that many little kids have to go through when they realise that everyone else dosent live like the brady bunch and people kill each other all the time. I already knew this at a young age. Wizards did affect my future devolpment,  for the good not the bad! it helped me get rid of childish ideas early and muture and devolp early!

though i dont care about the dolfins dieing in pain or anything, im not a tree hugger!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'll take it back.  Call me a traitor, but it is not the worst animated film of all time.  The worst animated film of all time is Bakshi's subsequent feature, his version of "Lord of the Rings.  Maybe I was in a bad mood at the time.  As I think about it now, you can love or hate "Wizards."  I am not a movie prude of any means, like some of my relatives or friends.  "Wizards," next to "LOTR," has edge and bite.  Yes, there is that rotoscoping gimmick of Bakshi, but it is done much more hilariously than "LOTR."  The 1978 verision of LOTR was dismal, depressing, and humorless.  Oh, yes, I do admit to liking some bad taste.  But I think the bad taste is "Wizards" is more intentionally funny, and was definitely played for laughs, as many cult hits of the 1970's did.  Bakshi may be the bad boy of animation, but here in "Wizards," he is like Mel Brooks, the guy who combines bad and good taste, and that's a compliment.  Is Bakshi really the worst animator of all time?  Maybe after "Wizards" and scored big with "Fritz the Cat" and "Heavy Traffic."  "Wizards" is worth a laugh, but keep this one far from the little ones.    
Peter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I remember being 8 years old and living in germany, I would always go to the video store and look at the front cover of the vhs, that's what intriqued me, except the covers that I have seen since, whilst scouring the internet, seem different from the one I saw in the shop. There was a large trail of those cow like creatures with riders atop carrying heads, travelling into the distance.

After pestering my mother for what seems like an eternity she rented it for me and this film has stuck in my mind for ages, I don't remember much of the plot content. I only remember that it was the first "cartoon" that I saw that contained violence and adult themes, I was especially moved in the opening scenes when the young dwarf is found cowering after the attack with dismembered limbs around him. The look of terror on his face was something I had never experienced with growing up with Thundercats.

Anyways, it has been years since I watched it, I am now 20 and I have been looking for this film for ages, not knowing the title or the director, only remembering the vague part about the brothers, the still art and the battles. Well now I know that this film is called "Wizards" and I will be sure to track it down and relive a bit of childhood nostalgia.

I think this film turned me into an Anime Manga freak. Good on ya Ralph.
selish70
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ha!  Some funny memories from this film...

I was 6 or 7 and my parents took me with them to see some murder mystery/comedy that my dad wanted to see.  That flick ended up be more violent than they thought - and therefore inappropriate for me - so what did we do?  Well, it was a four-in-one cineplex and Wizards was right next door, so let's take the kid to see the cartoon!

Bad Idea.  I think we lasted like ten minutes before splitting.

I remembered that day, however, and when I happened to see Wizards in a video store 10 years later, I took it home.  I agree with my parents call.  This isn't for 7 year olds.  

It was entertaining enough, strange, dark, acid-influenced, and even amusing in parts, but don't try to tell me this is some work of genius.  There's no subtlety to any of the messages here.  WAR BAD.  NAZIS BAD.  EVIL BAD.  And, of course, the typical swipes at capitalism, technology, etc.  It's pretty impossible for any of this stuff to be over anyone's head.  The animation is servicable more effective for it's style than any technical acheivement.  Rotoscoping is a distinct look, but not in a good way in my opinion.

All that being said, I'll probably watch it again at some point in my life when I have more time on my hands.
eeyore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Its been a while since I saw this film, but I'll never forget the seneseles, pathetic laughs I shared with a friend the night we rented it. It is a great movie if you don't try to interpret it. It was just funny to see all that insanity in cartoon form. No, this is definately not for children, but it is good for sometime when you absolutely have nothing better to do. Who cares about what some cartoon-draw-guy thinks about war. Just thank God men with true stones are out there defending us today!
Who wants to know?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I first saw Wizards when I was about five years old, and even though I'm eighteen now, it's still one of my favorites. I agree with some of the above that the movie could have been a little better, but I didn't see much room for improvement. This move combines the best of the world we all love, violence, sex, bad language, and comedy. not to mention the fight scenes (specifically the final battle between the armies) kicked ass! I don't understand how anyone can think this is bad but everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I'm just wondering where people get off with saying that the movie had no plot. It was pretty obvious to me, stop the bad guy from taking over the world.  
Nick P.
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

What makes a quality movie? Not one that has great cinamatic quality, nor awesome production value. It's the story. Futhermore, the director can use any means, visual or implied (rotoscoped, pooly done Zulu ripoffs) to get the story across. Successful directors always relate a great story well (The Matrix). Unsuccessful directors relate any story (great or not) poorly (The Matrix Reloaded).

So, I am gauging that by the volume of responses to this movie, that it is a great story in a mediocre vehicle. The movie is not great because it particularily stylish (it is, all the good characters smack of Rankin/Bass-esqness. That's a real term.), or because it is well animated (it is not, the only shining bits are some of the pencil sketches and a few of the backgrounds), but because you guys are still talking about a story told in 1977, and that makes a great movie. One that people remember. So, I would suggest that you go pop some popcorn, grab a friend, and give this movie a whirl. You might say "What they hell???" about 20 times, but when you are done you will have probably liked the characters, enjoyed the story, and best of all you might just turn to your pal and TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAW! And not just talk about how cool any of the effects were.

That makes a good movie. When my wife and I walked out of Reloaded, we talked about what we were going to have for dinner. That makes a bad movie.

If you watch this movie I can just about guarantee that you will love it or hate it. But you won't forget about it.
Dave
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2003, 11:23:43 PM »

I First saw this film when i was 7 years old and finaly realized what it really going on in it when i re watched it at 16. This movie is one of my all time favorites,One part always cracks me up when necron99 disturbs the elf guy when he saying bye 2 his dead horse how he lets out a f**king huge roar i almost s**t myself when i hear it lol.
Jimmy
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It's a trippy kind of movie, after all it was made in the 70s.  Sometimes it makes me laugh and sometimes it makes me cry.  My favorite character would have to be Necron 99.  I like when he blows away the mayor dude right in the middle of his b***hing to avatar,  funny as hell.  All of you complaining about this movie need to smoke more bud.     Damn!!! these comments have been going on for 5 years!
VenusDeMpls
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 03:14:00 AM »

I have hated this movie since I first saw it in 1980. The allegories are lazy, the animation only so-so and the ham handedness of the storytelling is beyond the pale. Fritz the Cat is a masterpiece by comparison.
Sam
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Holy s**t. This was the scariest movie I've ever seen. I watched it one night after smoking some pot with a friend... I was hiding my head for part of it because i didn't understand what was going on, the nazis came out of nowhere and I couldn't figure any of it out, I know thats all because of the pot but still... a scarring event. Overall I dont know what I'd rate the movie because I cant really remember what it was all about. The roto-scoping was terrifying.
pHILLIP bONI
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've read a lot of comments about this movie and watched it more than once I like the animation on a whole but it was the intro that really sold me the womans voice the passion in her let me know that RALPH had feelings for the movie and not for his wallet.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

marco beat me to the release date on dvd, but, let me continue . . .

Avatar and Blackwolf. If they are twins, they must be fraternal and not identical. And watch their climatic confrontation. After "They Killed Fritz," my favorite scene in the film. It always leaves me ROTFL!

"They Killed Fritz!" Accidental or deliberate? I wonder if it was not deliberate, as Fritz was stepping on Max's lines.

Anyway . . . An underrated film from an underrated filmmaker.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.