Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:03:37 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Wizards  (Read 305240 times)
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Some more information on the release of the dvd. Unlike the dvd for "The Lord of the Rings," which was a barebones dvd, this dvd comes with some added features. There are production stills, trailers, a tv spot, and a commentary track by Bakshi. But, what may be the main reason to buy this dvd is the half hour interview with Bakshi. The last one which he swears he'll ever do. And remember "They killed Fritz."
Rick
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie totally rocked. It is one of the best crafted movies from the 70's and it certainly is one of the great animated films ever. It's message is strong -- anti-war, and it tells it in a style that is not preachy.
WitchKing
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My mom would let me watch as a very young kid.  Still a favorite of mine to this day.  I think "Wizards", "Lord of the Rings", and "Fire and Ice" are all underrated animated fantasies.  I even think the roto-scoping adds a great visual nightmarish quality to the proceedings.  Susan Tyrell's narration is absolutely priceless (if anyone should narrate the apocalypse, it should be her).  I love Peace and WeeHawk, especially when he goes rabid and just dives on top of his enemies swinging madly.  You have to remember that Bakshi was never really given enough money to fund these projects.  Often-- as is the case with "Wizards"-- he had to sink his own cash to get the movies made.  I personally despise the new 3-D animation (the Japanese are right-- the art has lost all its painterly qualities) and find stuff like "Shrek" and "Finding Nemo" completely unmoving.    
RyRyRy
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie is great. As a fan of comics and fantasy growing up, I think, it fills your head with entertainment. It's impact today is hardly as great as it was when it was released. Since most of the political undertones were based around events in the 70s. Hell, this film is older than I am, but still makes me chuckle. It was very different for it's time. Wasn't it the first real fantasy D&D-type of animated movie to be released?? I did not see this until I was in college, which I am glad. I dont think children would really get alot out of it. Today the plot would move a little too slow for kids now since everything is sped up more. As for the hard nipples and sexual layout. I think that was a bit much, but if it causes controversy then maybe Ralph hit the nail on the head. I think he was trying to accomplish that in many aspects. None-the-less, it was very diverse and still a large cult classic with many others today. Only thing I would want out of this is maybe a 2nd movie or some better way of wrapping up the story. It didn't fill me up and left me wondering. I still give it 2 thumbs up!
rick
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I saw this movie in the theatre when it first came out. I was fourteen years old and stoned off my ass. We went back and saw it again almost every night until it stopped running. (you could see a movie for a buck fifty back then).  This film left an impression on me that lingers to this day. Not because it was such a great movie I think, but because it was the first of its kind. At least the first thing like it that I had ever seen. I would imagine that the heavy moodiness and dark quality of the film might be lost on a small screen played in your living room with s**tty little TV speakers, bright lights on and phones ringing etc… In the theater with a big screen, big sound system, and some recreational chemicals to help with the immersion process, this was a truly awesome experience. I had completely forgotten about the film until recently when I heard someone say the name Fritz and the whole “They killed Fritz” scene came flooding back along with all the other emotions the film had stirred in me at the time. That sparked me to look for it again. I found a copy on DVD on amazon.com and immediately ordered it. I can’t wait to see it again, this time with my own teenage sons. I hope they love it as much as I did although I sure hope they don’t have the same pre-movie ritual as I did back in the seventies. I wonder if the film will have the same power for me thirty years later. Damn, I hope so. I'll post again after I see it again.
Steffy
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I think one of the best things about this movie is the way you either LOVE it, or HATE it.

It's either 'stupid, ripped-off, and crude' or 'beautiful, breathtaking, hilarious.'

And yes, folks, we HAVE established that Fritz is dead.

It has, like any other movie, its pros and cons.  The comedy being a pro, the overdone Nazi stuff a con.  The metaphors and the meanings that hold true a pro, the scientific innacuracy a con.  The occasionally charming animation a pro, the blatant use of improbable cleavage to attract attention a con (for most of us [snerk.])

Like it or hate it,
My bet is the director did exactly what he set out to do with this:  PROVOKE.
Isaac Baranoff
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One of the best animated films ever made, from one of the best American filmmakers of all time: Ralph Bakshi, master of animation.

If you like this, I'd also suggest the Bakshi masterpieces "The Lord of the Rings," "Heavy Traffic," and "Fritz the Cat."
bobby
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Wizards is one of my favourite movies thatI have watched many times and never got tired watching it. Avatar and Ellenore are the classic couple of just having fun. Necron99 is my favourite character of this movie. This movie is a classic for anyone that is willing to leave the anime that Japan has to offer and see what animination is before cgi and cell animation.

It is sad to see that it is hard to find rented copies of Wizards is the rental places. It is a movie that I would place in my VHS collection. I managed to get a copy after watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel one late night.

So if you get a chance see this movie, root for Avatar, Ellinore and Weehawk. Laugh with Fritz and the Jewish rabbis and remember that we can laugh at history and learn the lessons also.
rick
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Just a few more comments. After watching the interview with Ralph Bakshi and then wathcing the movie again with the commentary turned on I have an even better appreciation for this movie. One thing I thought was odd is that Bakshi repeatedly calls this his "family film". I don't ever remember thinking of this as a family film. Anyway, I'm finding this film to be addictive. I think it gets better the more you watch it. I've watched it over at least three times since I got the DVD and I'm not ready to put it away yet. I'm definitely glad I picked it up. This is going to be one of those movies that I keep comming back to every couple of years.
zorro
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

As i understand it, the film started out as an authorised adaptation of Vaughn Bode's comiics, but Bakshi lost the rights when Bode died, so he made a few changes.(If you know Bode's stuff, you can tell). I've always been fascinated by Bakshi, whose stuff is always way too ambitous for it's own good; i can always see the hints of something truly great just out of reach...(of course, growing up in Canada, those twisted SPIDERMAN and ROCKET ROBIN HOOD cartoons he did are burned into my memory!) On the whole, i think WIZARDS is his masterpiece, and i'm glad there's now a possibility of a sequel (Bakshi says it's been written, and they're waiting to see how the DVD does...)
mabon
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Almost 30 years since the movie came out and almost 7 years of reviews on this site, Love it or Hate it with a track record like that it must be greatest movie of the last 30 years.  First saw when I was about 6 yrs old, and I've seen it many times since.  Still have it on VHS also on DVD.  If you hated the rotoscope watch Ralph's interview on the DVD and check out his official website http://www.ralphbakshi.com/.  Slightly off subject but Fritz the Cat was based on Crumbs comic books he also has writing credits in the movie.

Peace
Miza
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Hi.
Sorry for my English first of all. I'm a Russian and I have not talent in foreign languages.

I've seen this film very very long time ago when I was 8 or so. Some time later I forgot about it, but it stuck somewhere inside my mind.
Yesterday, surfing, I've got in one of online fantasy galleries and saw there some sketch (www.andrewhawk.com). This picture seemd familiar to me and "hazy" memories occured. I wrote a letter to the artist:

"It seems, I saw the character from the "Nec99" picture in a cartoon film. If I am right, tell please how this film is named."

And today I've got an answer:

"It's a Ralph Bakshi(the director)film called "Wizards". The character is "Necron 99". I did this pen and ink as a gift for Ralph, but ended up selling the original to Dan Frazier(another artist for MTG).
Ralph has a copy of it, and it hangs in his personal studio."

All the day I'm scouring Internet, searching for Wizards on DVD or VHS or something in Russian (unsuccessfull yet. there are many of Bakshi's movies, except wizards, grrr). Also I'm reading all stuff about it I can find and can't get enough. I NEED this movie!!!!
Colonel Camo
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2006, 08:23:15 AM »

I think I may have seen this twenty years ago on late night television. Any one remember Night Flight on the USA network? My nephew let me borrow the DVD recently and the movie does leave an impression. It is the good verses evil in a different content. The characters were unique, there was a few surprise twists and the end was unexpected. Definitely a cult classic.
llob>
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I saw this movie once on tv and it left me scarred and rather confused. Why did the fairies look like hookers! Why is everyone in the future ugly! and I know Hitler was evil but there have been many other evil people who have done more unspeakable things than he! I'm guessing its because people know more about the nazi's because they were more large scale but DUDES! look into British history and all the tortures that went on! AND THE RUSSIANS! I just really didn't like this, it aint no masterpiece, and you want an AMAZING no war, stop killing each other movie? Two words: MONONOKE HINE! You can keep your Ralph but Hayao Miyazaki is the true Animation Guru of all time!
oddly
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is very good. Better than the s**tty animations on television nowadays. Usually animation is done on computers now, where they use as many "loops" as possible because they're extremely lazy and don't understand that animation was a lot better BEFORE they used computers.

Watch this movie regardless of what the review said. If you enjoy animated movies, you'll love this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Wizards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.