Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:16:16 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Tarantula « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Tarantula  (Read 64664 times)
bunches
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Another movie my brother took me to see when I was an impressionable six year old.  My sister-in-law told me that "There aren't any spiders like that around here.  BUT they do live on the other side of the world, and SOMETIMES they come over here".  I rode the whole way home from the drive in with my feet up on the seat, and would never let my legs dangle off the side of my bed.  Scared the cr*p out of me!
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:42 AM »

acromegaly is a real disease, it's what Andre the Giant had.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 05:26:24 AM »

acromegaly is a real disease, it's what Andre the Giant had.

David

Rondo Hatton too.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 05:30:20 AM »

Is this the same Jack Arnold who produced and directed the giant-spider episode of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND?  If so, was the movie parody intentional?

YES!!!!  Smile

I have to visit the Reader comments and reviews section more often...lotsa interesting stuff going on here...! Smile  Thumbup
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:32:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 11:22:46 AM »

My second favorite giant insect movie next to THEM.The scene where the TARANTULA destroys the house trying to eat the leading lady scared the hell out of me as a kid.AT LEAST he ate the scientist he was far more scarier then the spider.A GREAT MOVIE.
Good film.
Ya ever think the spider must have been starving? How much nutrition does one human give a bug that big? No wonder its on an eating spree!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Titus
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 02:34:12 AM »

I'm surprised you didn't mention the big one...

... watch the ending of the movie, and listen to the jet pilots voice ("alright. fire two rockets...")

let's just say, the actor could've told the spider "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you , punk?"
Titus
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 02:35:08 AM »

I'm surprised you didn't mention the big one...

... watch the ending of the movie, and listen to the jet pilots voice ("alright. fire two rockets...")

let's just say, the actor could've told the spider "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you , punk?"

the did mention

classic
Flu-Bird
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »

The part where those two farmers are driving their pick-up you can hear sheep or goats but the back of their truck is empty save for some cages
Flu-Bird
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:18 AM »

They reused this big spider in the THREE STOOGES movie HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL but this time its on VENUS and its breathen fire
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »

I must have been about six or so when I saw this movie.  I just remember being terrified and coming home and hiding under a telephone table in my parents living room. Remember telephone tables? Real  fifties!

Hold onto your dreams ....
HorrorofBob
New Visitor

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »

:hot:I'll say because that damned tarantula comes awfully close to the Mayberry of Arizona before Clint and his flyboys of the Air Farce crisp it into spider fries.  If that wind is not blowing in the right direction, the practice of Doc will be toast. 
Some of the scenes, especially at night are creepy to say the least and while the makeup job on Deemer when he is last seen is not good by today's standards, when I first looked upon his severely deformed countenance, I was mighty shocked.
Steve is rather sexy for a man woman.  You would think that Matt Hastings would call her Steffie.  No, he has to call her Steve.  And boy, does she catch it from Prof. Deemer after she brings Matt back to the lab at the end of her little shopping spree.
Well, for Deemer it is all down hill from here.
Did I forget one little thing?  You bet, the Tarantula is scootin' feet around the desert chewing up cows, pickup trucks, horsies, and farmers.  After a big meal, it drops bits of excess digestive fluid in the large economy size.  When Matt takes a sample to the experts and says that there are mass quantities of the stuff, he is called a liar or on an LSD trip.
Well, all ends well but I still wonder how long it took the giant inferno to reach little ole Mayberry, Arizona. Twirling
SwimTiger
New Visitor

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »

This movie was entertaining. Also Clint Eastwood had a small part as being one of the Air Force pilots.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

I hadn't seen this movie in years when it showed up on THIS network. You gotta love these sorts of big creeping bug films! Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 05:10:42 AM »

This was really a lovely film.

I remember seeing snippets of Tarantula as a kid, and finding it absolutely terrifying. Those shots of a giant tarantula slowly crawling its way across the desert in black and white burned their way into my brain.

I finally watched the whole movie a few days ago, thirty years or so after my first viewing.

I liked it a lot. The story is pretty much the stereotypical '50s science horror type film, nothing to write home about. What sets this film apart is the fantastic visual effects. The "villain" is the giant tarantula, which still works incredibly well. The tarantula is such a primal image, and seeing it blown up several thousand times with really very good FX is fantastic.

I don't know if the rest of the score is different, but the director Jack Arnold uses the exact same horn cues he used in his legitimately great Creature From the Black Lagoon.

This is a great film, if you like this sort of thing.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Tarantula « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.