Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:41:58 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Green Slime « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Green Slime  (Read 88133 times)
Omega
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Greetings all. Game designer by profession with some odd
little bits to add to the Green Slime puzzle. A great movie for its time and execution and one with a fairly unusual history too. heh. First off there appears to be a secondary version of the movie with several (at least two) Japanese actors tossed in. Ive seen this one on TV only twice and some time ago. But in all reviews Ive seen and rental copies its been a non Japanese cast (about 90% American actors?) What happened to this extra mixed cast version? Was it a Japanese "remix" that stumbled over to the US or was there a slightly larger or diffrent casted version?
   Second and somewhat ameusing note is that Tom Wham of TSR/D&D fame created the wacky board game Awefull Green Things From Outer Space. And this is inspierd by non-other than Green Slime. Aliens on board a starchip pick up a rock that hatches into a one eyed Green Things that infest the ship and must be dealt with. The Things were fought with anything handy and each game rendomized what any item might do. So in one game the Can of Zogwharts Beer mught make the Things shrink. But the next one might make then multiply. The Things looked like the Green Slimes without the tentacles and blowing one up had the expected result of spattering fragments that could grow into more Things. The crew though had a few things that the Space Station didnt, Like a Robot, Lead Foot, and a mascot, the Ook. And cargo loaders and space suits to wander outside the ship...
Steve Jackson Games picked up Aweful Green Things and packed it in a Boxd set with cut out cardboard counters and dice. as well as a big color fold out board representing the Ship. You can still find copies for sale now and then at used hobby shops.
   As if this werent strange enough I went and adapted Green Things for SSI's old Unlimited Adventures, doing all the combat icons/sprites for all the pieces... Still waiting to finish it up... but was a blast to do.
   Green Slime is one of those odd movies that you watch as a kit and thought was great. and as an adult usually end up still liking it, only for diffrent reasons.

Omega (yep, thats actually my name...)
turff@preferred.com
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 1999, 12:00:44 AM »

I watched this movie when I was about 8 or so.  The first time my mother brother and I tried to watch it somebody had made a loop and kept playing "the green slime" over and over for four hours.  We finally saw it later and I guess my youth and the fact we waited so long to see it made it a fair movie.  By todays standards it is pitiful by the standards of the time it came out it was a b-movie.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 1999, 08:48:29 PM »

I was 4 when this flick came out.  I remember my family going, with my 2 year old sister.  She was very scared of the monster, which I used to my advantage later, heh :)  It is the first film I remember watching.
kraj@anothercountry.net
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2000, 11:49:47 AM »

It was about twenty years or so after its release before I finally had "The Experience". My friends and I made a drinking game out of it. Everytime someone says "right" "allright" or"yessir", you take a drink. Three people can easily go through one case of beer per one viewing. I wish the soundtrack was available 'cause it freakin' rocks! Notice when Commander Rankin gets on the elevator to the rocket at the beginning of the movie.Notice the guy that goes in with him.Notice the expression on his face as he gets in behind Rankin.He's just a little too happy. When they come out, what does Rankin say? "Will see about that promotion" .Maybe a little action goin' on behind the elevator?!? I think my grandfather had a clock like the one that set off the bomb!
barry
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2000, 08:52:14 PM »

I first saw this movie when I was 15. Friends said it was awful; I thought it was pretty good! Then I bought it on video 20 yrs. later and it IS awful! But does anybody who's
ever heard the Attilio Mineo album Man"In Space With Sounds"
recognize the sountrack when the plastic model spaceship with lit sparklers in the tail is rushing away from the
paper  -mache asteroid dangling by a wire during the exciting climax? And there's no credit given! For the second viewing this was the highlight.
steve
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I was just a kid when the local theater began handing out little metal badges, stickers, and even rubber "green slimes" all proclaiming that "The Green slime is coming" weeks before the flick showed up. My friends and I were stoked to say the least. And then it arrive, and were we disappointed? Hell no, it was great fun. Plenty of space ships, rayguns and monsters! Man, it was a more innocent time then, I tell you! Not to mention it was on as a double feature with a Chris Lee "Fu Manchu" flick that opened with a big guy chopping off someones head with an axe!Man, those were the days.....I have it on video and I think I will go put it on right now!
Joseph Palermo
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My father has a bit role in this movie.  He's the guy when asked by the commander of UNSC Central, "Have you got that course figured out?"  and MY DAD replies, "Here it is, sir!"

They got most of the actors from Tachikawa AFB, Tokyo!  My dad and several other Air Force personnel were signed up to fill in for the several monitors that needed to be watched! I have 3 copies of this movie--one that was even hosted by Grandpa on TBS Scary Saturday.  Now that is a dedicated son, eh?

:)
Abbodon
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The Green Slime was the first monster film that really stands out in my childhood memories (from the 1960s), what I recall most clearly is the creatures being prominently displayed on the cover of Famous Monsters Of Filmland, a required reading as part of growing up in 60s America itself.    It was the first issue of that magazine my mother refused to buy for me, subsequently my whining and wheedling got here to take me later that week to see the movie at our local drive-in, of course it was paired up with another 'rubber monster' b-movie of which's title I have forgotten.
     One last note to this story is the scene in the concession stand between films when I discovered a huge (well,larger than child-sized me at the time) stand-up lobby poster with a near life-sized Green Slime monster, this was going home with me so off I carried it to the car, the theater manager just smiled and nodded, my mother had other ideas, so with a slightly stinging butt I watched the second feature pinning over my lost treasure.

John Page
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Green Slime" is one of those movies that must of seemed  like a good idea at the time. Toyko must wonder what happened to the money they spent on effects.                     I still think it's a great way to kill 90min. How can you not like a movie who's star is a wax figure!! Luckly all the other bad effects,bad acting,& the last word in 60's theme songs(have airsick bag handy!!) help take some of the sting of the wax mans acting! Sit down drink up or light up and have a good time!!!!
Ben
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

memories of this film come to me like a dream,bits and parts scattered around in my brain.But one thing i will never forget(i was 5 or 6 and this is probably one of my very first sf /horror flicks)is the sound of the monsters!!!IT REALLY SCARED THE BEJEESUS OUT OF ME!!
I was so happy to have a bit of video with that sound.I will rent this soon!!
Don Mills
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this movie when it was first released (I was 22) and have never seen it since, but it has remained etched in my memory as a classic.  I laughed all the way through it (I was a long-established reader of sophisticated science fiction by then), and have mentioned it to many people in the years since.  And that theme song reverberates in my head ...

Reminds me of the current jokes about the bombing of Afghanistan and bin Laden.  "Laughter and tears, how allied.  What thin partitions comedy from tragedy divide."
Mark
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

hey dudes and ladies,

I saw this for the first time in 1978, when I wuz 8 (do the math, but keep reading).

My mom had us over every weekend for visitation, so naturally I was free to stay up late.  This movie came on at about midnite, when I was so tired i was expending effort just to keep awake.

I found it very entertaining, but my older sister kept laughing at it and pointing out the obvious flaws in it that have been beaten into dead horse fertilizer...but...

am I the only one that spotted the microphone following a crowd of people running?

Then I saw it about 13 years later as I languished for two weeks in jail for an unpaid fines.  There was almost a riot because I wanted to see this movie, while another big man wanted to see the "smells like teen spirit" nirvana video that MTV was playing over and over at the time.  his grandma came to visit him right when the movie was startin, so, lucky me.  They just tore it limb for limb, while I pulled a pillow over my ears and tried to pretend I was still that little kid eating co co puffs at midnite in front of the tv, back when we didn't have cable.

Think i'll got get a second mortgage on my house so i can hire a private investigator to hunt down a VHS copy of this movie for me, it was THAT great!  Oh yeah.  But even as a child i was disgusted with the miniature models in the movie.  Wasn't that movie made with the kind of budget that would have allowed them to contract NASA to fire off a few real rockets and satellites for the take?  

Written with your scathing review of my review in mind, I am

me
Luis Interiano
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I first saw "The Green Slime" on the Sunday Morning Movie show put on by my local TV station that specialized in low-budget horror flicks- Channel 26- purveyors of "The Crawling Eye" and "Attack of the Mushroom People." This last is, imho, THE best Japanese monster movie bar none ("Akiko!....") but "The Green Slime" comes in a close second and is unusual in that the entire cast is Western but the director is Japanese. All these guys and gals must have been in Japan filming commercials and had nothing to do one long weekend because that's about how long it must have taken to lens this movie. But it is tragi-comic horror-sci-fi. You'll remember this one long after you've forgotten others. And the theme song is the coolest ever made for a monster movie. It rocks even more than "The Munsters" theme. As a kid I stayed up past midnight one night when the movie was due to come on, just to tape record it with a microphone held up to the TV. If you want to download it, click or paste this link: http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/greenslime.html
Enjoy,  Luis Interiano, New Orleans
Swamprat
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm eleven years old. I'm sitting in the front row of the balcony in the old Miner's Theater. In the front row down on the first floor hippie chicks are dancing like crazy to that theme song. That five minutes or so was better than the space opera garbage my older sister had paid the seventy-five cents apiece for us to see. It's hard to tell if it gets worse on TV or better. Remember the little rubber finger puppets. Jiggly little rubber stumps with big white eyeballs' You shoved your finger up thier kazoos and went running around the yard enjoying "Hours of fun and entertainment." They told us so...it was printed right on the card. I don't know who stole the monsters from who but anyone who has seen this movie and remembers those rubber puppets knows there had to be a connection somewhere. Richard Jackel was a fine charecter actor through most of his career...I have no idea what he was doing here...and judging by his performance, I don't think he knew either. The lead chick and the commander dude are much creepier than the giant finger puppets running amuck through the space station. Blood? Or ketchup? Electro ooze, industrial anti-bacterial soap, of vomit? Why does the laser rifles look like some kind of rear axle from an early  Japanese made car? The "frightening" sound the slime critters make just annoys the hell outta me. It's like listening to your own breathing through congested lungs while trying to sleep off a heavy cold. Awful can't do this one justice...and though foul language would certainly help me feel better about it, it still wouldn't help the rotten movie any. If you run across this thing late at night give it a shot and try to see the humor. But don't rent it! Don't even waste a freebe or a coupon on it. Don't talk a friend into getting it for a bad movie party...he may try to get even with you the next time around and talk you into renting a copy of Xanadu. Now that one takes creepy to a different dimension.
Tman
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Wow, I was just sitting in front of my screen and found myslf singing the 'if you don't believe it now - you'll believe it when you're dead... Green Slime!" tune. And I was 12 years old when I watched the thing! So I did a search on Google and BAM... I found your page. This brings back good old memories of my movie watching days as a kid with my running buddies. Wierder things have happened.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Green Slime « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.