Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:36:34 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Masters of the Universe « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Masters of the Universe  (Read 87796 times)
Chadzilla
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"WOW! THIS IS ALMOST JUST LIKE STAR WARS!  ATTACK OF THE CLONES!"  or so shouted my son while we were watching this.  We both had a blast, for different reasons.  He liked the people running around in goofy costumes, shooting zap guns, and fighting each other.  I liked that stuff too, but I also had a nostalgic rush for the old Cannon Films junk that stuffed theaters from 85 - 88 or so, man those were the b-movie days.  Watching MofU made the 80s seem pretty nifty.

Great fun, great bad movie - a must buy DVD!

Ironically, I guessed the shooting budget at about 6 or 7 million while watching it.  On the DVD commentary, director Gary Goddard mentions that production was 17 million ("At a time when movies cost 6 or 7 million to make" Goddard says).  I don't know where the money was spent (perhaps getting the cast), but it certainly wasn't on the screen for most of the running time - the other Cannon super hero movie of 1987, Superman IV-The Quest for Peace - had a similar cheap look problem.  Ten million is production values were lost somewhere.

Nonetheless, the movie is a blast to watch.

I HAVE THE POWER!!!
RESET
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I have not seen this movie movie in a very long time, The movie it's self in my mind was not that good. How ever there was one good part about this movie and it is one ever one overlook's.  Courteney Cox arquette  is in the movie.
Skeletor/RH
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This Movie is AWESOME. Love The Villian's Theme Song. Great Special effects. Skeletor was the best charactor in the movie. Loved tHe the scene with He-man v.S Skeletor battling each other. This movie is Worth Buying. "I HAVE THE POWER".
riff_raff
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I thought this movie was dumb.  Maybe because I never was around MOTU. When it was in it's prime, I lived where the TV station that showed it wouldn't come in.  Anyhoo, I guess it was a good enough movie, although you wouldn't know it's Frank under that makeup.  I hear rumors of another MOTU movie being in devlopment.  Arrrggggggg
Austin
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The only reason I enjoyed this one is because I was really young when I saw it.  Great stuff when I was six years old.  Frank Langella does the best acting job in the movie.  He-Man is corny as hell.  "I was looking for you!" he says with that accent that would make Arnold proud.  Down to the point.  Dumb, yeah.  Corny, yeah.  But the cop kicks ass and Gwildor rocks.  
Vince
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I thought it wasnt half bad for an old movie. I do though want to find some of the movie props to it. Especially the full body suit of "Saurod" who didnt last too long in the movie. If anybody has information please email me.

Undead Ned
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Quite possibly one of the worst films I have ever seen. Even 'Street Fighter' doesn't come close to how bad this movie is.
Given the exact same budget, I could have come up with something one hundred times better than this tripe. Gwildor is one of the worst 'comedy relief' characters in history and Dolph Lundren as He-Man was absolutely pathetic.
I remember someone on this list mentioning The Sword and The Sorcerer. That was a very good movie and I doubt it has the same budget as this one.
Sorry, but there was absolutely NO reason to have earth as the setting for the second half of the movie. There are plenty of other B-grade movies that have used different planets as the main focus to great effect (the first 'Star Wars' being a prime example).
There are no excuses. Masters of the Universe is just a bad movie. Full-stop.

Ta-ta!

Ned
J.R. Harrod
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Well, it was quite a Star Wars ripoff, wasn't it, as most of you will have noticed?  I mean, those black troopers of Skeletor's, well they were just resprayed Stormtroopers.
Even Skeletor himself looked very Vader-like.  But what I thought ruined the movie was the absence of Battle Cat and Panthor, you know, the two leading character's respective big cat war mounts.  If they do make a future Motu live-action movie, I think that they should have Skeletor like he is in the series, but with his bare flesh colored like muscle tissue.  That would definitely be more realistic than that hideous grey bodysuit the makeup artists plonked him in.
hannah
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2004, 04:07:23 PM »

Yes it was BAD BAD BAD....Nothing like the cartoon at all
night heron
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2004, 01:53:47 PM »

Damn they left out ORKO  the little funny wizars guy from the cartoon series what a bummer he at least added a comedy releif and none of the other comrades for HE_MAN
Zach
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I was never a fan of the He-Man cartoons but like all 12 year olds back in 1987 it was a familiar name and wasn't very discriminating in my movie selections, Howard the Duck, Over the Top, No Holds Barred, et. al.  The movie was less than memorable as I have yet to lay eyes on it since I originally saw it.  I was always a fan of Chelsea Field though.  Something about her rubbed me the right way.  She was especially yummy as Bruce Willis' wife in The Last Boy Scout.  Gary Goddard's complaint that he didn't have a big enough budget as well as no screen talent sure doesn't sound like a DOER to me.  Here's a towel Gar, DO wipe the tables at Denny's.  One last thing.  Before this movie came out there was a contest sponsered by Mattel or Hasbro or the mafia, whatever, where you could win a chance to have a part in the flick.  A younger brother of a girl I went to grade school with won and got to be in the quickest shot in movie history.  It seriously was like a tenth of a second.  He was some little kid in a pig-like mask standing around in the evils lair.  Don't blink.  You'll miss it.
Felicity
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I *liked* the fact that Lt. Paris’ character was a hopelessly 1980s synthesizer-playing musician!  Meg Foster was *so* beautiful as Evil-Lyn...it makes me want to be her so badly.

This movie suffers the same problem as a lot of potentially enjoyable movies--it has a decent premise, and in the first fifteen minutes promises to be delightfully absurd, but then it sort of stalls and gets really boring.  Also, I just can’t watch Billy Barty.  He always looks like he’s in a lot of pain.
Peter
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I logged on to this site by accident (I was looking for pictures of Meg Foster on Google). Boy, this sure brought back memories.

To be honest, MOTU is by far not the worst movie ever made, but certainly one of the cheesiest (or kitschick, I believe is the German word). There were three redeeming factors for me: one, Meg Foster; two Frank Langella; and three, the script did provide for some memorable moments.

The casting of Evil-Lyn was spot on - Meg Foster did an incredible job of acting (I really felt her presence radiating through the screen) and somehow, it really her interpretation really felt right. Those eyes of hers are incredible - anyone know their actual colour? Remember her scenes with Skeletor, or the henchmen or when she manages to convince Courtney Cox (Arquette) to bring her the synthesizer. From what I remember of the cartoon series, Evil-Lyn seemed to be a lacklustre character. Meg breathed life and dynamic into her. And Meg, if you ever read this, you are one of the few actresses that I still can recall clearly from the eighties - you were that memorable and I wish I had seen more of your work.

Frank Langella, I suspects, suffers from bad choices in his selection of movies and then being poorly directed in them. He does a competent job most of the time. However, as Skeletor, he (like Meg) took a two dimensional creation and gave it direction and vitality. You could feel the hubris, his need for control, the reason he lusted for power.

Now remember, I'm trying to recreate the movie in my mind from memory, but I remember the scene with Teela and Man at Arms when they were eating the spare ribs, or some of her more ironic comments. They were other moments which at this moment I can't recreate, but the interaction between the Eternia characters was not bad, the inclusion of the Earthlings seemed ackward and inappropriate most of the time. With a little bit of more effort, the scriptwriter could have had a lot of fun with the Eternians exploring their new environment, contrasting it with their native one and eventually coming to terms with it (ah well, hindsight is 20/20).

Those were the reasons I still fondly remember the movie.

Dolph Lundgren was only cast because he looked like He-Man. Does that mean he can't act? No, just look at his performance in Universal Soldier, I thought it was great. But honestly, at that time of MOTU his acting was wooden and he was out of his depth (he does eventually improve).

Courtney was cute, but she overacted. (Incidentally, I believe that Christina Pickles who plays the Sorceress is also her mother in Friends).

I liked what the actors did for their characters of Teela and Man At Arms and regret that the script treated them mostly as part of the landscape.

The Earthlings could have really been better scripted. Instead I just recall them as cardboard cutouts.

The special effects were in most part cheap and certainly looked it.

The sets were a little claustrophobic, but for all their limitations, weren't bad.

Loved Evil-Lyn's and Skeleotor's costumes - the others could have been improved.

To sum up, the whole movie looked extremely rushed to me. If they had more time, they could have arranged acting lessons for Dolph, really polished up the scripts and carefully planned just where they could spend that budget to squeeze the maximum bang for the buck out of it. How much did this film cost? Whatever it was, the money was certainly not used correctly (or is this a variation of Mel Brooks' The Producers). The actors ranged from neophytes who struggled to get their characters right to professionals who gave us some exceptional moments.

On the whole, Masters of the Universe will remain one of those fond hazy memories that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling  when you recollect it, but should not be examined too closely because its faults then tend to overshadow what you loved in that movie.

Thanks for listening.
Banana Jones
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I can't believe this awful film had such a huge budget! It looks as if it was made for some 50 thousand dollars (and Canadian dollars at that)... Goddard must have spent all the budget on cocaine and whores. Or perhaps Lundgren pilfered it all and spent it on steroids?
Cal Smith
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 10:45:48 AM »

All the people in this movie look like God Damn Pro Wrestlers with bad Gimmicks. But the that little midget guy was cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Masters of the Universe « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.