Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:58:27 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gamera  (Read 51132 times)
Paul Westbrook
« on: November 29, 1999, 10:03:24 AM »

So this is what happens, when you cross Godzilla with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? Incredible!
Splinter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2000, 07:09:40 PM »

Why do I keep expecting "Kenny" to get killed by Gamera and see two friends yelling "Oh my god!  They killed Kenny!" followed by the required "You bastard!"

---Splinter
Tyler M.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 07:43:45 PM »

Chris p.is right!I have the origeonal theatrical version of  GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE!Released by Neptune media,this is so much better then the sandy frank version!And best of all,NO DRUNKEN ACTORS!!!!!!!Neptune media also has GAMERA V.S. GUIRON and GAMERA V.S. ZIGRA in the origenal AIP-TV version!In eather japanese with subtitle,or in dubbed version!if the person who runs the site is reading this,go to NEPTUNE MEDIA.COM to buy!
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2000, 11:15:21 AM »

This website has the wrong film. DAIKJUI GAMERA was filmed in 1965 and recieved U.S. release as GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE in 1966. The Americanized version contained American actors Brian Donlevy, Albert Dekker, Diane Findaly, and others and American scriptwriter Richard Kraft changed some parts of the storyline. GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE fell into obscuity in 1970 and was shown on syndicated television until it dissapeared. In 1985 Sandy Frank (who is a a***ole in my opinion)released the original Japanese version, changed the title to GAMERA, and added new (but poorly done) English language dubbing. Sadly Franks version was not well recieved. Soon bad TV panned and scanned prints of GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE tutrned up. In 1998, Neptune Media Video finaly had the courage to release GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE on home video in it's original 2.31:1 Widescreen aspect ration complete with Japanese and American theatrical trailer. As fro Franks version, it has dissapeared and thenk God for that. But stick to the original American version and you will expect more from that.
Howie
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Calling fighter planes, calling fighter planes..." -- the American General really looks and sounds like a drunk.  I saw the dubbed, panned & scanned American release on AMC last October ('99) and thank G-d I got it on videotape.  VERY funny.  The English dubbing is incredibly bad and makes a silly film worse but also more fun to watch.  It's also obvious that the TV-formatted version does a real disservice to the cinematography, as the turtle could only be seen in full in widescreen format.  
Cham
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Good giant Japanese monster flick. Meant to cash in on the GOdzilla series, it isnt as good as any of the Big G's films, but pretty good. A giant turtle. His roar is damn annoying though. ANd that little boy saying lines like "Gamera loves all children!" I give it a 3.5/5

Cham
Gojira
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Gojira", Japan's first monster movie, made 5000 yen, a record setting amount in the 1950's.  "Gamera" tried to(and failed miserably) to ape it's sucess.  To be honest, Daiei, Gamera's company, had no originality inn this film.  Everything is a clone of the 1954 "Gojira" hit, but more childish.  So, it came as quite a shock that when Gamera got a reboot in 1995, he managed to do something right.  The 3 "new age" Gamera films, "Gamera:Guardian of the Universe", "Gamera 2:Advent of Legion", and "Gamera 3:Incomplete Struggle" all managed to boost Gamera as one of the most popular kaiju of all time, second only to Godzilla himself.
So, after watching these films, it would come as a surprise that the giant turtle started here.
George
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ha,where to begin,Gamera,or Gammera,both spelling are correct,now then a little postscript to the original,at first,the idea for a new rival to Godzilla was an interesting prospect,but who,& more important what do we name him?,well producers & directors at Daiei weren't sure & then it hit home,Japans pet turtle craze in the mid 60s gave them the idea,but what to name the giant turtle,well someone mispronunced the word camera,with a g,so problem solved,the truth known even Daiei pictures were very pleased with the american version Gammera the Invincible starring Brian Donlevy & Albert Dekker from World Entertainment Corp.,Gamera went on to star in 5 more movies from American International Pictures,as well as Gamera vs.Zigra & Gamera-Super Monster,before this latest crop of new Gamera movies,& I don't like what I'm hearing about them,another thing I didn't care much for was the Sandy Frank dialogue versions,but I did hear a rumor that the original A.I.P. versions were coming back,let's hope so,& please no letterbox.
Bob
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Though it is a little weak, The Japanese version of this and any other Kaiju film are much better than the hacked and cut American or western releases ( mostly American).
The new Gamera series that started in 1995 which consists of 3 movies to date, are very good, nothing like this one, and the Last one Gamera 3 Incomplete Struggle is a far superior film than Tri Stars Godzilla "98".
tyler
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 08:12:48 PM »

This Movie is The Best Gamera Film I Have Seen.Good Special fx and plot.I sugjest you buy or rent this film.Go to ebay to buy, because it is out of print.
Wonko the Sane
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Fitfully, this was the first Gamera film I ever saw.  Though Godzilla will always be my favorite giant monster, I think Gamera is more than just a clone.  A flying, fire eating/regurgitating, fanged, turtle, from outer space!  How beautiful is that?

I really need to get ahold of those three most recent Gamera films made by the director of "Godzilla: Final Wars".

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 12:09:53 PM »

That was one of the best crowd panic scene I have ever seen.  I enjoyed watching Gamera burn all the people to death.  They were so orderly when they were running away from him.  I find the people there to be very attractive.  They were all holding each other to dear life and they were embracing each other in a rather sexual way.  I wonder if the people there put powder or perfume.
Nene Murakami
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Gamera is a very interesting movie to watch.  The special effects in the 1960's may be primitive in todays standards but the main point in appreciating this movies is by using your imagination.  I may sound spaced out but hey this movie was released in the 1960's.
Dr. Serizawa
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Dear god, you're all missing the point. The Japanese portions of the movie are unwatchable to anyone with two brain cells to slam against each other - it's the hysterical American bits that make this worth 90 minutes of your precious life!

SEE: 2 idiots "debating" on a setless stage, finally degenerating into namecalling.

SEE: One over-the-hill drunken stublebum of an actor slur his lines and stare unfocusedly into space

SEE: the swishiest Air Force noncom ever to sashay around a set ("Clark", in the opening scenes)

Get this DVD before it disappears for good.
tyler
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 01:38:53 PM »

Watch for the new gamera movies on DVD!They have released GAMMERA:THE INVINCIBLE,WAR OF THE MONSTERS,(GAMERA V.S BARUGON)and DESTROY ALL PLANETS!(GAMERA V.S VIRAS)But watch for ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS,(GAMERA V.S GUIRON).Rumer has it that they might relaese RETURN OF THE GIANT MONSTERS!(GAMERA V.S GYOS).
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.