Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:05:13 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gamera  (Read 51126 times)
doug Govostis
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Image entertainment will be releasing Gamera vs. Monster X and Monster from a Prehistoric planet on Double bill DVD.
It should be out January 20, 2004.  FINALLY!!!
Doug Govostis
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Return of the Giant Monsters is being worked out with the people at Retromedia and made a possibity into an almost definite.  Monster X is confirmed.  Let's see Gamera Super Monster released.
Todd Shields
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

As if the Kaiju Eiga genre wasn't silly enough, they had to bring a turtle into it. Still, Gamera does have that appeal shared with Godzilla, even if most of his movies sucks.
But this mutant ninja turtle eventually got his revenge against the big G in the 90's when Daiei reintroduced him in films that were better than Toho's then current G-offerings.
(But Toho didn't mind since the distributed the new Gamera films in Japan...talk about good karma.)  
Megaloman
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The movie is fun, if a little too Godzilla-like in presentation.  I enjoy all of Gamera's movies to an extent, even the two worst , Zigra and Monster Super, Gamera.  Wonder what ever happened to Neptune Media?
Gayos
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is a kind of film where it tries to match Godzilla's greatness. The film copies more than just Godzilla. I rate this awful yet entertaining film 3 out of 5.
Mark Radburn
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

When I first Bought Gamera I thought he was great and also his first movie was great. The Special effects are great the destruction scenes are very well done but Just because Gamera breaths fire just like Godzilla doesn't mean Gamera is a rip-off of Godzilla there's one monster movie that's a rip-off of Godzilla and Gamera called Yongarry the Monster From The Deep but who cares anyway this movie is cool and a Kaiju fan will love the gamera movies if he/she loved the Godzilla movies.
Chris Conley
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »

I hate to say this but the drunken american actors are in the japanese version as well
that's what the japanese hired to play the americans in the film, i check imb and found that they may not be even american actors but japanese pretending to be american and speaking american
George
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »

Our friend on You Tubes KMR had a lot of good things to say about this,the original Gammera that started it all,I really enjoyed his review of this one!.

It is indeed the NTA version,Gammera The Invincible, with Brian Donlevy & Albert Dekker,and the truth is Daiei was pleasantly surprised at how much better this version was compared to the original version in which the original American actors weren't so good.

I remember finally videotaping this movie on WPIX in 87,we had a big c-band dish,I'm glad we got one!.

Anyway whether you like the original American version with Donlevy & Dekker,(which I do),or the original Japanese version,it's nice to know they are both out there on dvd!.
George
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

As I previously stated I prefer the original NTA release of Gammera with Brian Donlevey and Albert Dekker.

Since the original Japanese & SF versions were the same,I now have from Showa Video,the original J-version and a special letterboxed NTA version,after viewing the J-version,I'm sorry to say it's just not as good as the NTA version,in fact Gamera might very well have been laughed right out of the country if we had that horrendous SF E-version,and that's why I have to go with the NTA Gammera The Invincible,in fact there's one scene they have that was cut by Diaei.

When Gamera was headed toward the power plant,the strings broke on the puppet they were using,causing him to run towards it,NTA picked it up,slowed down that portion of film and added eerie music to it,and that worked!.
Oh the good old days when American Film Companies knew how to dub and even remake some of the Japanese Monster Movies!
George
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »

Shout Factory,those noble folks have finally made a dream come true,Leave it to Beaver The Complete DVD Series!.
I have mine and it's Great!!,Bev,Wally,Ward and June,plus the others,Eddie,Lumpy,Larry,Miss Landers,etc.
I would of loved to have lived in Mayfield myself,many thanks to Shout Factory for doing what Universal wouldn't,but after releasing the doublesided discs of the first two seasons,it was well worth the wait!.

But as we also know Shout Factory's also releasing Gamera DVDs.

Unfortunately they seem to be of the Japanese variety with no AIP English versions.

Although I did hear something about Sandy Frank versions possibly added to the later editions.
Shout Factory couldn't get Gammera the Invincible at the 11th hour?,and they couldn't edit War of the Monsters to fit the AIP soundtrack?.

I'm glad I've got every English version of every Gamera movie,we know Gamera vs. Zigra is the only real Sandy Frank movie in the whole bunch,but the 2mins of Gurion chopping up Gaos,and Agie saying"Come back again soon and see us Gamera don't forget now!",at the end of Gamera vs. Gaos is worth putting in the original AIP versions.

If I could I would,but I don't so I cannot,one can only hope the good people of Shout Factory will,but I do appreciate there interrest in Gamera,as well as giving us Leave it to Beaver the complete series!.
skywatcher
New Visitor

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 06:15:55 AM »

It's unusual to get excited about the opening credits of a movie, but Gamera does that. Every movie begins with the name Gamera in Japanese characters as the very first thing in the credits. And Gamera in Japanese characters resembles a word in English characters. And once you've seen it and realized what word they're showing you, you will laugh and laugh and laugh. And once you have seen that word, you will never be able to UN-see it.

I've never heard anyone else mention that this set of Japanese characters resembles a slightly naughty word in English, so I guess I just have the right degree of perversion to notice things like that. I suppose my recent comment on the boob-shaped rock in "20 Million Miles to Earth" proves that...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.