Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:03 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs Guiron « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gamera vs Guiron  (Read 64850 times)
Anthony
« on: July 25, 1999, 01:35:32 AM »

Good to see my pal Gamera get his place on your site.  I'm a pretty big fan of the Gamera flicks (mostly MST3K's renditions of them), despite annoying children in tiny shorts.  

For more on the superbly crafted film that is "Gamera vs. Guiron" I recommend this interview with Noriaki Yuasa, the cheif director of the 1965-1980 Gamera series.

http://users.pdnt.com/~kaiju/yuasa.htm
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 1999, 02:59:07 AM »

Too bad the new GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE series crapped out with number three (though they're highly entertaining, they ran out of fresh ideas spontaneously--the first re-uses Gyaos/Gaos; the second one has the old meteor-monster angle; the third features a VARIATION of Gaos that looks like a high-heeled tentacle-demon escapee from a hentai-anime); I would've liked to see the crummier original foes like Guiron, Zigra, Viras, and Jiger get the "new" souped-up treatment like Gaos. The new ones don't have freaky children in shorts, but they star Steven Seagal's daughter, who couldn't act her way outta a paper bag; she's just as annoying.
Warren H.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 1999, 01:29:53 PM »

1) Cop named Cornjob, what the hell?
Warren H.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 1999, 01:30:50 PM »

Sorry, comment got cut off there after #1 (little cousin visiting, likes to hit "enter" button on my computer while I'm at it).  Anyway
Warren H.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 1999, 01:31:36 PM »

Dammit!  I give up, this movie was funny and crazy.  Now I've got to go tell little Paul's daddy that he's been bad and needs a whuppin . . .
Dave of Monster Island
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 1999, 12:14:43 AM »

A classic for sure.  I can remember the first time I saw this.  I was simply floored at how silly it was.  I absolutely adore the MST3K version of this film, a classic for sure!  There are 2 Gamera movies from the old series not done by MST3K.  Gamera vs. Jiger and Gamera vs. Viras.  I wonder why they decided not to do this flicks?  Anyway, a good review and some great multimedia files.  "And while they are sleeping, we'll eat their brains raw!!!!!"
adam435@webtv.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2000, 10:21:13 PM »

KCTV 5 used to show movies every afternoon back before talk shows started stinking up the airwaves.Once in a while they would have gamera week.While not as good as Godzilla week it was a million times better than Doris Day week.Any way this one includes a couple of sexy space babes.How come the last few early Gamera films had one Asian kid and the other was Caucasian?Do these "white"children speak Japanese in the un dubbed versions?So glad I got my Bandai Guiron vinyl figure.
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2000, 11:21:16 AM »

This version is not the original American release. This was released by American International Pictures-TV (AIP-TV for short)as ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS. Sandy Frank released the original Japanese version in 1985 as GAMERA VS. GUIRON with a new English soundtrack and bad panning and scanning. Personaly, I would stick to the AIP-TV version. However AIP-TV cut some violent scenes out so to see the violence uncut you will have to see the bad Sandy Frank version. But see the AIP-TV version, it is better.
Dave Munger
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

When MST3K started doing these, Sandy Frank found out someone was actually paying money for the broadcast rights to Gamera movies, so he increased the price, that's why they didn't do the rest of them.
 The one you almost never see is the one where he fights the asparagus/squid creature, I don't know what it's called.
 No one has mentioned how incredibly hot the space chicks are in this one, maybe it's just that they're dainty Japanese women in flashy costumes being naughty. Imagine being a young boy in their nefarious clutches!
 My favorite part of every Gamera movie is the part where they speak reverently about him.
       - <a href="http://davemunger.blogspot.com>My Blog</a>
Cham
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The funniest of the Gamera series. Guiron is so ridiculous. He's a knife for cripe's sake! He does a job on Gaos though. And how bout those turtle gymnastics? I give it a 4/5
Megaloman
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love this movie, and not just because it was the first Gamera movie I ever saw.  It is completely surrealistic and fun all at once.
I suggest checking out Neptune Media's GAMERA VS GUILLON, which uses the far superior AIP dubbing.  It is also letterboxed and has a bunch of great supplements.  The liner notes are well written also.
And the reason the vacuum cleaner show couldn't ruin GAMERA VS MONSTER X and DESTROY ALL PLANETS is because Sandy Frank didn't release his atrocious versions of them, nor license them out to the stupid show in his greed.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Apparently it's some kind of law that all Japanese schoolboys have to wear "Daisy Dukes", they have on 99% of all Kaiju movies I've seen. And you didn't know all turtles were master gymnists??? And alien women can't resist eating the brains of little boys with shaved heads, and it is a natural alien response to stand stupidly in the path of an incoming missile, if it wasn't we would all have been "brain-food" centuries ago!
Karen S.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2001, 01:11:23 PM »

This movie is the absolute bomb. Frank has so much GREED its unbelievable and yet this movie is just f**king coool
George
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Attack of the Monsters or Gamera vs. Guiron?,to me it will always be Attack of the Monsters from Ameraican International Pictures,it's Gameras 5th movie,but did you know,like Destroy All Planets,it was really a 14 or 15 part series on the Japanese Childeren Matinee every Saturday afternoon,you a half hour each Saturday,it was known as Terror on Planet Terra,in that one Gamera got to renew his battle with Gaos,this film was made by A.I.P. & Titan with Diaies help,unfortunatly in this one Gamera doesn't get to fight Gaos,but one thing the Sandy Frank version did was bring back the footage of Guiron chopping up Gaos,it has since been readded to the A.I.P. version.Just one thing more,in 1991 when I was watching this movie I said,if there's one thing I know,that is Gamera will never be on MST3K,well just one week after I said that,the only good thing is,is they didn't have the A.I.P. originals,to this day I still can't get over the Sandy Frank remakes nor the fact that Gamera was on MST3K,did they really like the Gamera films or not?.
Katie
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this late night on SBS. What a laugh! my favourite quote would have to "Gamera is go-go dancing!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs Guiron « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.