Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:13:12 AM
714205 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs Guiron « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Gamera vs Guiron  (Read 64985 times)
Cody Locke Mitchell
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

HEY! You ruined the best part of the movie! The cop's name isn't KONDO! It's CORNJOB!
kaijukaijin
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I have seen this movie in the MST3K form about 50 times and I have become utterly fascinated with it--to the point htat I am looking for a good print DVD copy of the original.  It is hard to explain a thing like this, but if any movie at all unconsciously captures the utter insanity of the world (esp. in 1969), this is it.

In the process of making this film, literally hundreds of bizzarre and aesthetically criminal decisions were made and I am left wondering "What the hell were they thinking?"  Were they all coked up or on acid and just throwing any idea into the film that came up?  The schizophrenia of the film is a testament to how strange things were.  I am tempted to argue that this film is accidentally the epitome of the kaiju genre:  absurd storyline, the thinly veiled denegration of Americans, the illogical bio-mechanics (literally) of the kaiju, the go-go dancing gymnastics of a jet propelled turtle, sexy evil twins and continual insertion of "education" as a theme in a film that repeatedly confuses planets with stars.  What more could you want?

Chris B.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Actually the cop's name is Kondo and the girl calls him Kon-chan. The -chan is a Japanese title (like Mr. or Miss is used in America) but is usually used for children. Why she calls him that is unknown to me.
Dragon
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This flick is what I've grown to like alot. Guiron is a rather freaky but scary creature and takes no prisioners.
The first Gamera/Gurion battle was good. I'm glad to see the un-edited scenes with the space Gaos and Gurion fight for the first time in 1992. I do have the VHS and other titles. But WHY there is no release of "Gamera vs Jiger"??
Not fair! That has got to be the best Gamera flick, from the early days.

Gamera is, to me, is more brilliant than Godzilla. Since I find Godzilla pointless.
Josie
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

For some reason my friends and I found ourselves quoting Monty Python during the 'Guiron Fights Gaos' scene...

"You've got no arms left!"
"But a flesh wound!  The tinfoil pterodactyls always triumph!"
"What are you going to do, bleed blue paint on me?"

And did anybody else think the water was disturbingly yellow?
Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

My favorite of the Gamera movies, next to Gamera vs. Baragon and Gamera vs. Gaos. It's a bit violent, even for a kaiju film, what with Guiron cutting up Gaos like he did, but it was still fun.
Aku
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The plot & such wern't so good, but gamera look his best in this film.Guiron wasn't too bad eather,still bad plot, bad human acting, ect, ect,ect.
tyler
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2002, 05:14:19 PM »

This is the worst GAMERA movie I have seen!Save your mony!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gowest
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2003, 02:25:14 AM »

With a warm heart I say Thank you! Everything enjoyable in this movie is found at this site. Good Job
James Perry
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Top Notch Gamera (when watched with Joel and the Bots --CROW:  "That's Cathy Rigby in that suit")!  This is fun even without the MST3K treatment.

Cornjob is the MST3K version of the cop-on-a-bike's name, certainly.  The little girl probably calls him this because Kon-chan (Cornjob, whatever) is a bit childlike.  
I've watched these wonderful Japanese monster movies for years.  I wish they'd put them back on along with UltraSeven, Prince of Space and etc.  Probably too much to ask in this by-the-ratings TV age!  At least Sci-Fi resurrects these things.  But I'll cheer like hell when (if) a DVD widescreen of King Kong VS Godzilla comes out!
slycooper
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Whoever thought a flying turtle that breathes fire should be Japan's savior is completely nuts. But at the same time a genious. A genious at taking a seemingly goofy idea and making it even more goofy. This has to be among Gamer'as most embarassinbg moments. His main rivals here are two squirrely voiced girls who own this...bulldog knife headed shuriken throwing monster...thing. what in god's name was going on in the creator's heads when they made Guiron? (Even the guys who make all those Pokemon monsters in Japan come up with better looking monsters than this.) The Japanese are masters at making weird monsters with seemingly cool powers. Also masters at making turtles real fighters. Not to mention expert gymnasts. (I wasn't sure if Gamera was trying to impress guiron before Guiron macheted him with shurikens.) There is one thing however that remains planted in my brain that makes me hate these kinda movies. not bad special effects or goofy plots, but tight short-shorts annoying brat kids! Kids who speak in tones equivalent to nails going down chalkboards, and constantly ooh and aah at every freaking thing. This is where most of the inspiration for your animes come from. A seemingly serious situation turned goofy somehow. What can I say? Godzilla or Gamera? you decide. Oh, and the movie also taught me Japan's law enforcment. thanks to our local policeman "cornjob" (as mst3k dubbed him" "If you're bad, I'll shave your heads!" Reminds me of what Americans were doing with Japanese films long before they actually sat down and learned the language. Now U.S.A's a hot zone for Japanese language and culture. Thanks to anime, and not so much goofy Gamera and Godzilla movies.
Todd Shields
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I used to think that this the worst Gamera movie before I saw G VS. ZIGRA. The only improvement the Sandy Frankenfurter version had over the AIP dub (ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS) was the inclusion of Gyaos getting butchered.
 But either way you go, they both stink!
George
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »

For quite awhile everybody who's been a fan of this 5th entry to the Gamera movies has been waitting for the return of that missing scene where Guiron chops up Space Gaos,your wait is over,Showa Video has the complete version,thanks in part to me,you see I gave our good friend at Showa Video not only that great video of X-From Outer Space,but also the two and a half minutes of Guiron & Gaos he needed to make the AIP version complete,some companies claim they had it,Showa Video does!,it's my way of contributing to the cause,if anyone out there has a perfect recording of the AIP version of War of the Monsters send it Showa Videos way!,we'll all be glad you did!.
Dr. Mobogo
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »

The restored footage is WICKED! Anyone making fun of Guiron hasn't seen him sever Gaos' leg by deflecting his own sonic beam, then stand over his helpless foe and sadistically lop off his head and various bodyparts like a Benihana chef! Badass!

Gamera was like an old-school wrestler, typically bleeding much more than other monsters. So I knew as a kid that the Guiron matchup was going to be grisly - and it sure was. This'd be a favorite of mine, except for the incredibly obtuse white kid.
George
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »

Ah yes!,the first Gamera film the KMR reviewer ever saw,I didn't see it until 1985!.

Yet I knew there was something just not right about that Guiron Goas encounter.

It wasn't until 1991 when the horrible Sandy Frank dub was shown on the sci-fi channel,that was the best part of the movie so what I did was videotape that part and put in the AIP version,as I've already said I then gave this 2mins to my friend at Showa Video,so if Mr.Wickwire wants an original AIP dub with the 2mins of Space Gaos getting owned by Guiron,he and you too,can get said dvd from Showa Video!.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Gamera vs Guiron « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.