Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:14:39 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  GI Samurai « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GI Samurai  (Read 35025 times)
chris conley
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »

This is not a bad movie it doesn't deserve that skull as a rating it deserves 3 stars the version you watch was the idiotic dub tape which cut the film down from 139 mins to 85 mins  It stars sonny chiba as Lt. Iba you can find a subbed dvd of this movie that makes the movie look better and is much better than the dub tape you are wrong about this movie Thumbdown
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 10:23:30 PM »

This is not a bad movie it doesn't deserve that skull as a rating it deserves 3 stars the version you watch was the idiotic dub tape which cut the film down from 139 mins to 85 mins  It stars sonny chiba as Lt. Iba you can find a subbed dvd of this movie that makes the movie look better and is much better than the dub tape you are wrong about this movie Thumbdown

Are you saying that I should rate the movie based upon the version I did not see?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cotexman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »

When I watched this, I wanted to stab myself in the spleen repeatedly to distract from the pain that was viewing this excruciating disappointment of visual trepidation.

This is coming from a proud owner of "Monsturd", of which has been viewed multiple times by the aforementioned proud owner.  Hell, I even liked "The Being" and purchased it after renting it first.  In sum, if I think a movie is bad (in a bad way), then it's gotta be really bad.
chris conley
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »

No i think you should just not judge it by video quality and the american dubbing most things that are imported from japan such as movies and anime are hacked up or are give the wrong aspect ratio or made very dark. Some other films have taken the same rap such as kinji fukasaku's samurai reincarnation, virus and legend of the eight samurai it's even true for ninja wars.
G.R.A.S.P.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »

Don't beat up on Sengoku Jieitai based on a terrible dub made by subhumans who actually thought the name "G.I. Samurai" was a good idea, beat up on the dub. Seriously.

It's not like Sengoku Jieitai was perfect. Half the background music was hilariously inappropriate, the time travelling SFX cost like maybe 1 yen, and Kagetora & Iba still accidently come as off hot, hot man-lovers. But I'd argue that just makes it unintentionally better. Also, the cinematography's worth mentioning. It's definitely uneven, but there's some of it I honestly consider up there with Kurosawa... The problem is that the film was shot so overly dark it's hard to discern, and for some reason nobody in post production ever bothered to fix it. If you ever watch the real deal, crank up your display's brightness. Way up. Like in the neighboorhood of 80%. 

Bottom line: It's a good, not great, movie that's been saddled with an unfair bad rap thanks to an awful, awful dub.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  GI Samurai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.