Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:34:06 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Manitou « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Manitou  (Read 72597 times)
Warren H.
« on: September 06, 1999, 04:00:30 PM »

Gee, I wonder if I've had more comments than anyone else.  I wonder why, in this review, you didn't mention the doctor exploding when his computer terminal (or whatever it was) blew up.  That was hilarious!
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 1999, 03:19:05 AM »

Based on a novel by Graham Masterson, who basically rewrote the same damn story over and over with a different cultural background ("Tengu," "Djinn," even "Revenge of the Manitou").
The same doctor Warren H mentions gets his fingers bit off by a superimposed plastic lizard before he gets popped. Poor guy, bad day at work. Directed by William Girdler, who also gave us "Grizzly," "The Devil's Asylum," and "Day of the Animals" before dying in a chopper accident scouting locations for his first big-budget feature. Miss him.
adam
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2000, 02:11:23 AM »

I watched this recently.I had not seen it since it played in the theaters.It was pretty cool seeing bare boobs in a PG movie whaen I was just 7 years old.Tony Curtis made it enjoyable
Normajeane
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2000, 12:10:20 AM »

Oh my God!  I had totally forgotten about this movie.  After I saw it (originally - God Forbid, every time someone in my family got a zit it was EWWW!  THE MANITOU!  Great family fun!
chad edwards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2000, 03:56:57 PM »

I simply love movies in general so I don't get any great joy out of bashing even the worst film. But this is a bad movie. There's just no getting past that. However, director William Girdler did his best to disguise the film's shortcomings(there are plenty), and you've got to hand it to him because one way or the other he convinced big name stars like Tony Curtis, Burgess Meredith, Stella Stevens, Susan Strasberg, and Ann Sothern to appear in the film. It's difficult to say which one of these remarkably talented performers comes off best, but you've got to hand it to all of them, they each keep a straight face in just about every scene they're in!
Chadzilla
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ah William Girdler, I just love his movies to pieces.  The Manitou has always been great fun.  I love the part where Mrs. Kearns falls down the stairs and its blatantly obvious that its a really big dude in a dress, hell it's funnier than the big white guy in a dress stunt double gag in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!  This is one so-bad-it's-great movie that I can never get tired of watching.  Hell there are even some moments in the movie that are actually pretty scary (i.e. the head coming out of the table during the seance).  Ah Bill, why'd you have to go and die, I know you would have gone places in Hollyweird.  I still firmly believe you would have been another Carpenter or Hooper, given the same time and money and chances as those gentlemen.
Thunderwolf
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I have seen "The Manitou" a number of times since 1986 and found it interesting.

You mentioned in the index of comments the that Graham Masterton wrote a second book entitled "Revenge of the Manitou." Did you know that Masterton Wrote also wrote a third volume based on his origional characters?
This book is called, "Burial: a Novel of the Manitou."

Yes, Misquamacus returns to plague mankind a third time. As uaual our friend Harry comes to the rescue. The book is rather long, but I found it interesting as well.

I will not give away the (cemetary) plot but I feel that The third book does show how vivid Masterton's mind is as he uses an historical reference to The Battle of the little Big Horn that took place, according to the author, on Sunday, June 25, 1876.

I like the stories of Masterton. I give the movie "The Manitou" 4 stars, but what we are dealing with, once again, is Hollywood.

As a spiritual person I would be very careful what I went looking for in a darkened room. There are things that no one should make an attempt to call forth.
Jeff
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2001, 05:55:36 PM »

I was lucky enough to find a copy of the Manitou.  I showed it to my 4 sons.  We were wondering whatever happened to Joe Gieb, the reincarnated shaman.  Does anyone know?  Does anyone care?
steve
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

when i first saw the movie i thought it was good and i like the sp. effics in the movie i would like tobuy a copy
Kim
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This morning I noticed a little bump on my neck and thought, "What is that, a pimple?".  Then I thought, "Oh, it must be an embryonic Manitou".  THEN I tought, "Where the hell did that come from?".  So glad I'm not completely nuts.

Great site! K
Daniel
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 10:33:57 PM »

Wow! Memories. I saw this movie actually after reading Revenge of the Manitou. That book scared me; then I read The Manitou and saw the movie. It would have been great to see a movie of Revenge of the Manitou. Good to read that there is a 3rd book; I will look into it.
Randall Frost
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I was a wee lad of eight when I saw this movie, and it freaked me out! My older brother was fond of making me watch bizarre stuff (i.e. he snuck me into "It's Alive" and was all p**sed when I ran out crying... yes, those scars run deep).

Anyway, my memories of "The Manitou" have squatted in the back of my mind among our things I'm not really sure were real or bad dreams after eating expired Twinkies (including such noteworthies as the Star Wars Holiday Special).

So thanks for posting the review and confirming that that was something I really saw and not the weird workings of my imagination. Poor Burgess...
Byron
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hey, how come you didn't put Michael Ansara's name with an exclamation point?  Or even mention him?  He does Klingons, Native American medicine men, and the voice of Mr. Freeze.  This guy is B-movie mastery made flesh.  

Hmm...did he ever do work with Tim Thomerson?  That would be so much fun...
Ed Christo
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Joe Gieb currently works down at Six Flags,where
he appears in the HANNA BARBERA PARADE as Scrappy
Doo.
THE MANITOU is right up there with CUBE and
WITHOUT WARNING(1980)as one of my ultimate
favorite movies of all-time.
Ernst Bitterman
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I can't remember which story this was in, but I'm pretty sure that H.P. Lovecraft at one point explained that Miskatonic (the river and the university in steep-gabled, dream-wracked Arkham) was a corruption of the local native name Misquamacus.  So the writer of this item is not only a bit of a hack (see other comments), he lifts material from his betters.  Charitable folk would call it an homage.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Manitou « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.