Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:34:57 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Manitou « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Manitou  (Read 72484 times)
Edward Perez
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2003, 11:52:01 AM »

Where is the Gichi Manitou soundtrack?
Joe Frazier
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 10:02:29 PM »

I saw this movie when it came out and read all the books, its a great story if it were protrayed in the right way I would like to rewrite the screen play, and will be looing into getting the rights to it.
opatashu
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 06:50:22 PM »

I never realized what a fox Susan Strasberg was. What a RACK!!!!
Shannon
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 02:47:58 PM »

After seeing this movie, I was wondering?  I have a zit on my back.  Should I be concerened? I had sex with a spirit and am really freaked out.  How am I going to explain this to my family?
Reuel
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I also went to see this when it came out. We were debating whether to see Martin Scorcese's The Last Waltz or The Manitou. We chose this and it scared the crap out of me! I haven't seen it since then.
:)
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I picked "Manitou" up on DVD a while ago for a few euro... egawds! I forgot how awful it was. I suppose that's what happens when a horrible "director" (girdler) meets a horrible "writer" (masterton).
Vess
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I used to like Masterton when I was 14 or so... As I reread his books in adulthood, I realized what a damn, self-plagiarizing, talentless hack he actually is.

Admittedly, though, his 70s-80s-early 90s "novels" make decent pulp trash for a dentist's waiting room... His "new" books, on the other hand, are beneath terrible - the hack is no longer even trying; he's apparently just pressing keys at random.
Gospodean
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

One of my very favorite bad movies of all time.

Unintentionally hilarious throughout--I thought so when I first saw it in 1979 and it holds up brilliantly! I see that it's been released in the UK on DVD. When, oh when will this slice of cinematic gold hit its home shores!?  I fully intend on buying as many copies as I can afford to give to friends, as I've been hocking this film for literally decades. I await its release with bated breath.
AND--I have recently (well, within the last 2-3 years or so) seen a GORGEOUS 35mm print of it, presented as part of a Tony Curtis retrospective at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood.. It still exists and it rocks!
So please, whoever is in charge of these things, please know that an audience for this film is still out here. Don't keep us hanging much longer!
Maccus
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Quote from: www.badmovies.org
Misquamacas - The most powerful medicine man to ever live, he's returned in the body of a midget to destroy the white man.

Just to get your facts straight. Misquamacus is not reborn as a midget. It's the X-rays that damage his cells in a way that he becomes deformed.
***Courious
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 03:34:59 AM »

I saw this movie several times when it came out the first time. I have been trying to find it for years. Do anybody know where to buy it?
JoJo
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I rented this convoluted laugh-a-second years ago at a now-defunct rental chain where I also found "Day of the Animals", as well as my first uncut Hentai flick. Andrew was right about the actors saying everything with a straight face. Meanwhile, I was either laughing like crazy or just staring with my mouth hanging open. I especially enjoyed the Burgess Meredith/Colonel Sanders guy. My favorite part, though, was that scene on the operating table where the surgeon cut his own hand while Karen kept repeating that stupid phrase over and over again. I couldn't get that lame, made-up phrase out of my head for weeks after that movie! I think I'll stick to the Hentai.  
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »

I just received the recent Anchor Bay copy of The Manitou.  Amazing how it stands up to the claims that it is the silliest big-budget horror movie ever made.  Burgess Meredith is characteristically over the top, Michael Ansara gives his all to save a sinking ship, but I mostly liked Tony Curtis' serious delivery--although his scenes as the sham psychic are intentionally and effectively comic.  Yeah, I love the light show at the end, and  Susan Strasberg was a dish.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »

I saw this movie on TV its pretty awful when it comes to being scary
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 09:02:31 PM »

It is interesting that the performances are actually pretty good in this.  I think the one talent Girdler had is that he could get convincing performances out of actors, even if the lines they were being asked to read were terrible.  Carol Speed did a pretty good job in the equally silly but less entertaining ABBY.

And dig that crazy cosmic climax!  It's like the finales of THE EXORCIST, STAR WARS and 2001 and rolled into one!  Laser beams, fiery meteors and kaleidoscopic nebulae everywhere!  I only wish it had lasted longer!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

I liked the manitou, it was really weird and the whole idea freaked me out. My dad brought it home one day and I watched it followed by Dr.Strange. I think I was about 9 or something....ahh memories...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Manitou « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.