Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:51:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mosquito « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 57198 times)
Corey
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 09:55:07 PM »

Bad movie. Of all the giant bug movies, this is the worst. At least they all died at the end. Or did they?
Sora the B-Movie Alchemist
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I never knew refridgerators were fireproof. Huh, learn something new everyday.

Sora the B-Movie Alchemist's Ratings
Violence: **
Goofiness: ****
Monster: **
Actors: *
Overall: ***
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »

Now this is one film that could really use a can of Raid, but I dont think even that would repell the awfulness of MOSQUITO
Crazed Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 02:54:02 PM »

Giant flying blood suckers, gore, and Guner Hansen w/ a chainsaw! Need I say more?
JT
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I don't know squat about this picture, but after this one, the director went on to direct "Spiders"- now THAT'S a great one to watch!
Azi boi
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 12:15:32 PM »

I must say that when a few friends and I hired this movie like 10 yrs ago or something, and watched it, I didnt realise other people out there had seen it 2!!! The movie did its job, stuck in my mind for years eh, scared the s**t out of us when we were like 13 and the lounge room was dark and stuff, but would actually consider buying it one day, just 2 have another laugh!!! lol
Horror Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

If you didn't like (or love) this movie then you should stick to watching big budget, CGI filled, polished hollywood studio blockbusters. Don't waste your time trying to understand low budget, indie, destined for cult status classics like "Mosquito". However, if you are a true lover of the 50's giant critter movies, or just a fan of low budget indie horror then you "get it". The acting isn't SUPPOSED to be great, the FX aren't SUPPOSED to make you go "Oh my god! How'd they do that?" Just pop open a beverage, get a bag of chips and laugh your ass off. There's a reason the cheapest DVD of this movie I can find is $149.
byanychance
New Visitor

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 11:44:13 PM »

I disagree but the small Xena/Hercules 'cheesy' special effects side comment. Maybe some moments in the first season/five 2 hour telemovies, but as time progressed the FX improved significantly.

yeah, just felt the need to point that out  TeddyR

edit holy crap I did not mean to bump this old of a thread. Don't murder me. It seems like I'm a magnet.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:03:37 AM by byanychance » Logged
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »

ah, this is a good old cheesy dud that I like. Super-imposed mosquitoes, a stun-butt, & Gunnar Hansen with a chainsaw - doesn't get cheesier than that.  :)
Sci-Fi channel exists so films like these can find a good, careing home.
Its the ASPCA of movies!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
David
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

Personally, I enjoyed "Mosquito".  It's one of my top 5 favorite giant bug films.  However, after reading the comments, I'm surprised no one noticed or commented on the scene where the fisherman gets his eye gouged by a mosquito.  And, referring to that particular scene, watch very carefully when the proboscis penetrates the man's eye.  It's very quick so if you turn your head for just a second, you will miss this effect.  First, the mosquito lands on top of the guy while his friend tries without success to hit the bug with an oar...and topples into the water.  A second mosquito flies down and goes after him in the water while the first prepares to impale the man on the boat.  The mosquito unsheathes its proboscis and some liquid of some sort lands on his face.  All seems real, right?  Well, at the very moment that the proboscis impales his eye, if you look quickly and carefully, you can see the man's face is much different and, to me, it looks like they used a plastic dummy face at that quick shot.  Anyone else notice that?
Slim Jim
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »

Okay - I've never heard of this movie before, at all.  I happened to catch it two weeks ago on the Sci-Fi channel.  The only reason I continued to watch it was because of Rachel Loiselle (Meg).  I am a sucker for redheads with white skin and every time she was on camera my heart-a-fluttered.  Man, I googled her and hardly anything shows up for this gorgeous actress.  Apparently this is the only film she's ever been in.  Rats!

When Gunnar Hansen showed up in the movie, I knew he looked familiar but until he held up that chainsaw near the end I didn't make the connection.  Yeah - I'm a bit slow. 

This movie is the perfect entertainment for a lazy Saturday afternoon.  It's not a great film, but it's not that bad either.  I want to procure it on DVD - if I can find it - so I can watch the edited parts and to do some freeze-frames on Ms. Loiselle.  I think for those true horror fans, or bug movies fans, this is a must for their video library. 
devbob
New Visitor

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

I can't believe nobody mentioned the deputy with the disappearing beard.  It's there in one scene and gone in the next.  Also, mosquitoes don't hatch from eggs, there's a larval stage, but I guess they couldn't be bothered to show that.
Thomas
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:31 AM »

I have wanted to see this movie for the last 15 years!

I saw a quick clip of it on a movie show that used to be on in the 90s that my sister and I watched. All I remember was a big mosquito and someone blasts it with a shotgun. That was enough to get me to want to see this.

I finally decided to look up 'mosquito movies'. Good ol' internet.

Thanks for having this little review of it. Now I have to find this movie and watch it...
Ramadwarf
New Visitor

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »

MOSQUITO! When I was eight this came on the telly and my Dad was taping it for me until he saw how gory it was. He proceeded to tape over it with GORGO that same night (no complaints) but for the last twelve years I've been desperate to see Mosquito. I could never find it on DVD (apart from a copy there is on Amazon which is about ninety odd quid or something) and didn't want to find it on the internet because I only watch films at the Cinema or on DVD.

But then I found out about 'ioffer', a place where you can get ANYthing. 'Moontrap', 'The Rift', 'The Boogens', 'The Keep', 'Without Warning', 'Watchers 1, 2 & 3', 'The Uninvited' (you know, the only with George Kennedy and the killer mutant cat on the cruise ship), 'Imp' (a completely forgotten Gremlins rip-off, my favourite films!) AND 'MOSQUITO', the film I'd waited for, searched for and CRAVED.

I think I could easily have been disappointed with this film because of how I'd obviously been building it up in my head over the years. But let me tell you, I wasn't! I was hooked from the beginning, the effects range from fantastic to terrible, the acting isn't Olivier standard but the film isn't Richard III; it's obviously a b-movie and it loves it so I don't understand why this isn't down as one of the better mutant bug films. I think the most likely reason is the humour. It's clearly a comedy horror from about five minutes in, and maybe the kind of bad acting in this film lends itself more to a film that's trying to be serious when in actual fact it's really bad. So the mixture doesn't work. But watch it, and if you want to buy it, go on ioffer and see if they've any copies left.  Smile
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Mosquito « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.