Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:29:31 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Robot Monster « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Robot Monster  (Read 82552 times)
Swamprat
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One of the first, if not the first, reputable bad movies I ever saw. I'd read about it and heard about it for years. When I finally saw it, I was disappointed. It was so bad it wasn't that good. Like a lot of films with such reputations it seemed much funnier when being read about or told about. With Plan 9 you can see the feeble attempt to make a movie...Robot Monster just seems like a home movie. That just isn't that entertaning unless you personally know somebody who was involved in it or is at least up there making an ass of themselves on the screen. I read in one of my bad movie books that Phil Tucker swore no one could've done as well with as little money as he had...well, okay...but couldn't you have made it a little worse? It just kinda lays there and groans...I think this movie has been far too over-hyped over the years...it sucks far too much to be aworded the title of "Bad"...it's just a bore.
Roman
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2002, 09:50:10 PM »

What made this film great for me is that my real name is Roman!
TonyJ
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've never laughed so hard in my life, my friends and I watched Robot Monster on Halloween because there were no other movies to watch, and this movie definately was the greatest movie I've ever seen.  We must have picked out every fault there was in the movie, most if not all of them were ridiculously obvious anyways.  Great movie
Nate
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The absolute greatest movie of all time.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath when the dinosaurs started fighting and Ro-Man emerged from his cave.  I really wish someone would explain why he kept adjusting the antennae on his Ro-Man issue bubble spewer.  And his name is Ro-Man, he's a Ro-man, and he's from planet Ro-Man, how cool is that!
Kitty Robotochan Monster
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

You have to love this film, in a way you pitty a dying dog. I was so inspired but its "honesty and innocence" (yeah right) I named my company after it! www.robotmonster.co.uk
B-gone
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

From my childhood, I clearly remember the day I crawled out of the movie theater teary-eyed and with my stomach-wrenched with the thought that I had thrown away my $.25 admission (from collecting $.02 bottle returns) on this piece of trash. To make things worse the movie was re-released months later (because of poor box-office sales) as "The Beast with a Million Eyes" (or was that a "Thousand" or "Billion Eyes") and we kids were duped into re-experiencing our traumatic emotional events in a second viewing.
  It is pure hilarious trash like this that over the years has found a way into my heart and film collection and I would be happy today to pay $10.00 to see it on the big screen again.
Writer
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Do you guys realize that this gorilla with a fish bowl on his head was one of Stephen King's childhood inspirations? No really, it's true! It says so right in his book "On Writing," page 21! "I felt this was art of quite a high nature." Ah ha ha ha!
slycooper
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"To think like the hu-man! to be like the hu-man! that is non-ro-man!" I think this movie's main issue in a warped sense of way, is that all our national problems commited by war mongerers, terrorists, and angry political leaders, are actual the doing of evil space gorillas. The 'Ro-Men' come to Earth, destroy all 'hu-mans. All except the remaining five, which lived within a 3 mile radius of ro-Man's lair. (Gimme a break. -_- Destroyer of the world forgot to kill the people right next to him. Dumb 'Ro-Man'!) Ro-Man is easily among the most amusing alien to watch, and you will laugh your butt off at him rather than fear him. He especially looks goofy strolling up and down hill like a cartoon bear walking on his tip-toes. Toss in a batch of heroic white people (including your average brilliant 'German' scientist, your 50's woman who depends on men to carry her, your strapping shirtless hairy scientist, annoying brat kids and useless wife)and one goofy looking space gorilla..voila!! Instant B-movie material!! (And let's not forget the flimsy plot device at the end, and the confusing sequences from other movies thrown in. Don't miss the cheapest special effect either. A  shot of a toy rocket with a sparkler fuse being jolted in smoke, where you can clearly see the hand holding it. I love movies with virtually no budgets. They are the pinnacle of B-movies. Robot Monster is one of them.)
Ryan
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This flick is so bad it's GOOD!  Not unlike William Shatner's acting.  It definitely gives "Plan 9" a run for its money...actually, the only thing that could have possibly made "Robot Monster" funnier would be if Tor Johnson were cast as Ro-Man.  Can you imagine him croaking out "To be like the hu-man" in his inimitable style?  I saw this film for the first time on MST3K, and while it's definitely MST-worthy and Joel and the Bots did a great job on it, this is one of those films that is just as much fun to watch without the MSTing.  The moment I completely lost it and fell on the floor laughing was when I first saw the "space platform"...looks like they took a model kit of a Century series fighter plane (looked like an F-105, but I can't be certain), slapped it together without painting it, stuck a sparkler up its tailpipe and tied it to a stick, and lit the whole works off!  This makes the saucers in Plan 9 look like Lucasfilm!  I know a film has moved me when I start to think how I could build a model of a character or vehicle from it...while I watched this one, I actually started a mental list of the things I'd need to make my own Ro-Man action figure.  Maybe the director wouldn't have tried to kill himself if he'd have seen that a new generation of B-movie fans have embraced it!  
KaWraith
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

My friend brought this movie to a party with about 20-30 people. If you think terrible movies are funny by yourself, try them with a group... it was downright hilarious. we now have inside jokes based on ro-man.
anyone who says this movie is so bad it's boring aught to get some friends along to watch it.

definately worth watching once in a large group (probably not worth watching a second time)
Tony C
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »

I feel sorry for the poor son of a gun that played the Ro-man.  For filler, the creators of this movie showed that poor guy wandering around southern California in a gorilla suit and a metal helmet.  If the dippy male lead spends half of the movie without his t-shirt, how hot was it in that gorilla suit?
RD
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I hate to say it but this movie actually scared the crap out of me when I was 5 or six!!! I would start to cry when I saw the bubbles!!!

I am so grateful to badmovies.org because it was soooo long ago (45 years?) that I thought the memories of this movie were just memories of bad dreams!!!

Those bubbles.....
Dane Carlson
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The best of all bad movies. Each page of dialogue bordering on brilliant. The director was distraught after being slammed for this, the man is a genius! The great one's speech to earth ro-man; Alice's speech about mankind; the dialogue as they fix the radio whatsit. Damn this movie is good.
mahone
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I’m a long-time sci fi fan, in my fifties, and remember seeing Robot Monster in my formative years.  Then, it was just plain boring, not funny.  Even at the age of seven I remember thinking, “Wait, that ain’t right!” and realizing I’d been ripped off.  Now, after purchasing the DVD and seeing it again, I realize what a cinematic jewel it is.       
Well, the good (really bad) stuff has been covered.  So let's talk about sex.  Remember the scenes where the hot chick is shown working on a circuit board, holding a long phallic-looking soldering iron.  As she works her and the hunk carry on a conversation laden with sexual innuendo, (paraphrased) “Here, let me hold it, I don’t think you’re putting it in right.  Let me have it.  Ah. . . that’s better.”  Check all that out for sublimated sexual content.  Then there is the fetish angle. Ms. Hotchick is seen in bondage not once, but twice.  And there is the virile scientist wiping his sweaty, hairy, manly chest with his T shirt–which has artfully designed tears in it and which prompts another question: how come everybody else’s clothes look so nice?  And how come–through the cosmic death rays, atomic holocaust, and giant gators and lizards rolling around the terrain, have the women  managed to keep their hair dos in place and their makeup on?  It’s important to look good at the apocalypse, I guess.
Final point: why in the hell would anybody go on a picnic in a barren, tree-less, un-scenic, rock-strewn waste? And how could they fall asleep in the bright sun, with no shade for miles.
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 05:46:18 PM »

Like another poster, my name is Roman and I wanted for a long time now to wipe out humanity, so this movie is near and dear to my heart. I felt obliged to ask my father to watch it with me, after all, he was the one who rented Plan 9 From Outer Space for me, so I had to return the favor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Robot Monster « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.