Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:12 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead(1990) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Night of the Living Dead(1990)  (Read 45332 times)
Dano
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I guess.  That's a stretch comparing zombies to black people, though if you ask me.  

Yes, definitely a chainsaw.
Ernst Bitterman
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I quite enjoyed both versions of this movie.  You have to amend your frame of reference, tho'-- the same criteria don't fit them both.  The "moral" of the first is something in the area of the difficulty of a black guy in the US of the 60's finding justice, while in the second, it's a question of just how different zombies are from the hordes of people you want to take a machete to in the mall (so, really a lot more like "Dawn of the Dead", eh?).
   On the point of "Why did Tony Todd become a zombie if he's in the basement without any zombies?"  People with untreated gunshot wounds DIE. He DIED, and the RECENTLY DEAD are coming back to life.  Not rocket science, really.
Captain Napalm
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Great Zombie Movie!
In my opinion superior to the original as it manages to stick to the atmosphere of the original whilst making some welcome changes (The acting is better and Barbara is not super annoying.)
Don't get me wrong I love the original (I have it on DVD) but this version is better.
Sennith
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The only thing I didn't like about this movie was one person survives. In the 60s version everyone dies, bringing a rather unhappy ending.
JesusThorn
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Not only are they planning a fourth 'Dead' movie, "Dead Reckoning" but I also just heard that they are remaking "Dawn Of The Dead."

And I ask myself, Why?
James Perry
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

First Zombie flick I ever saw.  Eventually I discovered the original, Dawn of the Dead, etc...  Helped turn me into a Zombie Movie Fanatic.  

The redhead from Babylon 5 is an absolute TURN ON in this film!  (Sorry lady Zombie fans...I've a guy).  Sigorney Weaver-like, she is fun to watch.  Overacting abounds but it's very spooky with well-researched (see the DVD commentary version) special FX.  Lots of creepy moments if you've never seen the original.  It's doesn't hurt the original to watch this one first.  I like them both very much.  I wouldn't show this one to some members of my family because the gore is very realistic. The B&W original is easier to take...and probably much more scary..as people have mentioned here.  I wonder what generation began to dislike black & white film?  Geez, Repulsive, Psycho, Bride of Frankenstein, YOUNG Frankenstein (er, steen!), Paper Moon (not a horror I know), etc...should only be watched in NONcolorized version.  Don't touch them Mr. Turner!!

To the person who thinks Zombies are NOT scary because they are too slow to get you...just want to wish you a good night's sleep.  (giggle, giggle)
pred19
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Although the original 'Night of the Living Dead' is in no way bad, for a bad movie... the remake is better than it in every respect. The effects are better, the characters are more defined (the female lead is no longer a human vegetable, and that damn a***ole badguy is even MORE of an a***ole), and the ending is much darker. People would argue the headshot ending of the original was worse, but I think the new one takes the cake. I felt utterly hollow watching those rednecks shooting zombies hanging in the trees, it was a surreal, horrible thing to see on so many subtle levels. The radiation business in the original has been removed, which is another plus.

This is a great bad movie, anyone who calls themself a zombie fan should see it.
DJ
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2003, 06:04:23 AM »

I think this 1990 version is way better then the older one. I love it! I watched it over a million times.
gecko brothers
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 12:19:54 PM »

Great movie the reason I watched it was for Tony Todd who is the Candyman one of my favorite slashers since Freddy. Though Savini is great in special effects and acting his directing is so-so but who cares it has a great ending except when Ben dies and that is it.
jlew
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm sorry...but this movie reeks. A terrible remake. I cringe whenvever I hear someone say this is superior to the original. I know they tried to make a little money for the people that got left out in 1968...but c'mon...this is the best they could do?

More gore? Who cares? Gore does not a good movie make. I'm so tired of this "Hey, its got gore!" argument. Like gore is something so new and startling. Why, we've only had gore in movies since...oh...about 1960! Wow! 40 years of gore! Good lord, people...

As for the '68 Barbara vs. the '90 Barbara...the whole point of her going catatonic was a nod to Hitchcock! Ever hear of a little movie called Psycho where the main character is murder a third of the way into the movie?!? Personally, I DESPISE the gun-toting Babs...stupid, kowtowing, politically correct decision...

You people need to have your heads examined...
James
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

THe remake sucks.  Tony Todd (nothing personal) sucks.  I think Duane Jones was superior in every way.  As far as gore, I think it you did an experiment and had 100 children under the age of 13 in a room and had to watch either film, to see which movie was "scarier" I think the original would win.  The second not only has bad acting from the Harry Cooper character but all in it.  The attempt at social commentary at the end is a joke.  I think if the red head was in the original it would be more fitting.  The interaction between Cooper and Ben is a joke in the 2nd. film.  It is like they already know each other and hate each other from the start. I is like they watched the original and tried to continue from where their arguement left off.  Aside from the special effects the movie blows.  Even the first zombie in the original is more scary than the entire remake.  
radioman970
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I'm one of those fools who prefer this version to the original.  Tallman is hot!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Tom Savini is no Romero and let's leave it at that.
*1/2
Neko
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love your site! I didn't notice some of the funny things in the movie you pointed out until now ^^
Maskdt
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »

I felt that the writing was better than in the original (it goes without saying that the effects were much better in the remake.) Don't get me wrong, I do like black and white films, but sometimes the monochromatic color scheme in the original made it a bit hard to follow what was going on.

However, the original definitely had more atmosphere, and had more subtle acting. Plus, it also has the nostalgia factor going for it, even for someone from a much younger generation than it was released for (the original NothLD was the first horror movie I watched; my mom bought one Halloween and watched it with us kids because she remembered seeing it as a girl herself [I didn't understand much beyond "the dead people want to hurt the living people" and "the dead people will die if you shoot them in the head."])

To me, they balance each other out, but try watching the 1990 version not as a remake, but as a totally separate film; I think you'll enjoy it more that way.

On another note, is it just me, or does Romero have something against Rednecks? I personally would rather not "hang" with them, but I mean, they're still good people for the most part...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead(1990) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.