Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:06:44 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Prophecy « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Prophecy  (Read 72956 times)
Svanhof
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »

This is movie is quite perplexing yet funny, in that it makes no sense at all. The simple fact that a medical doctor, whos goal is saving the starving people in the poor quarters, gets dragged away from his noble cause to investigate a case about pollution in a forest beset by seemingly drunk indians sounds like a plot for a movie shown only after midnight on "The B-Movie Channel". Yet I've grown to like this film to some extent based on that fact that for all the weirdness and randomness thrown in, it IS funny. I literally laughed for most of the time when watching this s**tacular piece of cinematogrophy because of the stupid things it throws at the viewer with a perfectly serious manner.

Definetely worth a watch if you are bored and want a good laugh; but only if don't have anything better to do. Like brushing your teeth or something.
Ryan P.
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »

I'm proud to have been scared s**tless by this movie.  I was 9 years old when I saw it and like the first post, I too lay frozen, sweaty and terrified in my bed for hours later that night.  In fact, I refused to be alone in a room for close to 2 years afterward.  As for camping?  Forget it about it!  True, as an adult, the movie is easy to mock - the finale strains credulity and some of the technical aspects are dated.  Setting that aside, it's undeniably entertaining and does have its moments  - the premise is fantastic and the opening death scene/montage, juxtaposed by Brahm's 4th symphony, is eerie and skillfully conceived.

Even though it traumatized my youth, I wouldn't change a thing for it sparked my imagination.  I've since gotten into creature design for film and PROPHECY is one of the reasons why.  Bless fx guys Tom and Ellis Burman, the late Stan Winston and sculptor James Kagel for creating a truly memorable, albeit flawed (At least it's not CG), movie monster!

Filmakers take note:  The book is great!  For those unsatisfied by this cinematic adaptation, there is still one helluva a monster movie that has yet to be made from the source material.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »

Filmakers take note:  The book is great!  For those unsatisfied by this cinematic adaptation, there is still one helluva a monster movie that has yet to be made from the source material.

What source material? Seltzer's book is a novelization of the movie.  Twirling
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »

This has got to be one of the most stupid movie ever made and one of the most rediculous loking monsters ever made have you seen KILLER GRIZZLY? where CHRISTOPHER GEORGE blows a bear to smitherinies with a motar
Gene
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »

I saw this in the theater in Junior high. I loved it then and I love it now.
Ryan P.
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »

Kooshmeister,

You're right.  There IS a novelization, but it differs greatly from the movie... so much so, I'm baffled as to why they settled for what they did.  Example:  In the book, the murder of the camping family is totally different, and more effective, requiring equal to less special effects than what ended up on screen, which seemed lazy in comparison.  John Frankenheimer admits to not being 100% (due to his alcoholism) during the making of the film.

The book is a fun read.  Check it out.
Ryan P.
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

To Kooshmeister,

Going over some of the past posts, I see you DID read the book.  Good for you.  My point is:  What made it to the screen suffers in comparison to what is available in print and is worthy of a remake.  Since David Seltzer wrote both the screenplay and the novelization, he is "the source" of the idea, which only degraded in the collaborative hands of other party members - Frankenheimer, Paramount, etc.  Hell, Seltzer himself could direct the remake and retain what was lost.  He's directed his stuff before and could do it again (assuming he's still with us).

In addition, John Frankenheimer, the director, is qoted as saying after the fact, "It looked good on page."  He's admitting it was a lost translation.  So, let it be re-translated.  That way, in the future, we are given a viewers choice between a potentially good horror movie and another "SAW" sequel.

Cowbella
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »

Wow, what a great movie for it's day. This movie was filmed mainly in my home town of Squamish, BC, Canada on the west coast ( not even close to Maine ) when I was a little kid. My neighbor was a mechanic and had that great old truck ( that rolled with the guy strapped on top ) in his driveway for about three weeks. We played in it and thought it was cool. Later I saw the movie and was done for. I was so freaked out at the thought of this thing being local and waiting in the bushes for me, I didn't sleep right for days. Damn funny looking back but not so funny at the time. I was traumatized for years because of this movie. I bug my kids about it now because their school gym was used to film some of the scenes in and they think that's funny. A horror movie filmed in their gym. They'll soon see this movie and that funny will turn to fear....ha ha haaa
TooManyCustomers
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »

This was the first horror movie I ever saw... My parents were really strict about what sorts of things we could watch but it came on HBO one summer afternoon.. Loved it, those mutated baby bears freaked me out for weeks.. Though it's lost much of it's punch (and the eco-righteousness is just laughable now) I still dig this movie from my youth..

*begins searching netflix*
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

Not many actors in this film deserved their title, especially Maggie. They broke the mold when they made her, to make sure there weren't any more.

It's always the fat guy who gets hurt and needs to be carried ten miles through the wilderness.

How on earth did I miss these?  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Prophecy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.