Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:06:04 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Last Days of Planet Earth « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Last Days of Planet Earth  (Read 41211 times)
Paul Westbrook
« on: January 12, 2000, 10:12:31 AM »

I have to agree with most of the other disappointed moviephiles out there that expected Godzilla to be the one that put a merciful end to that model, Japanese community. Instead, we are treated to plastic giant bats, and other Toho created monstrosities. yawn.
Scotto
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2000, 04:14:05 AM »

Do yourself a favor and miss it, or suffer the *fate* of a masochist! (I can't believe this is currently airing on AMC).
Mick Cantone
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2000, 02:23:35 PM »

The movie makes sense when you're drunk. It makes more sense when you're high on pot. It makes the most sense when you're trippin' balls. It's just eye candy. Turn the sound down, put on your favorite music, pick your favorite mind-altering chemical and enjoy the show.
Noah Hopson-Walker
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2000, 05:04:35 PM »

I saw this late at night on TNT's '100% Weird'.  It was like a train wreck:you want to look away but you can't stop watching.  I finally turned it off after I saw the African Natives who looked like Japanese guys with body paint and 'fro wigs on.
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2000, 08:34:43 PM »

This is a pretty good film. It supposidly was released in U.S. theatres as PROPHECIES OF NOSTRADAMUS, but it was later released on home video as THE LAST DAYS OF PLANET EARTH. I recently obtained a copy, but it was the horribly re-edited print released in EP mode thru Paramount Home Video (I really don't care if it was re-edited, but I think that Paramount has problems with releasing videos in bad EP copys). It was really a good film and totally thought provoking, but when Toho used stock footage destruction sequences from THE LAST WAR(1961) it made me wonder where the budget went to? But, it has been said that in the 1970's some films had huge budget restrictions in both the United States and foreign films as well. But, who can turn down a film from the company who brought us Godzilla? I can't!
andromeda
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 02:46:19 PM »

This airplane Not are a concorde but an SSTV, stratospheric airplane, if in an immaginary future many of this flyng, with an ozone hole into atmosphere need only 2 or 3 (explosion) to enlarge this or not?
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It's true. It's true. The prophecy depicted in this movie is true. If Toho keeps churning out this junk, then the world will end.
J.K.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

For some reason, when I saw this on AMC, I thought it was pretty good. I love the music, for some reason, the music really touches me. I think if this film was re-made to today's standards, and rewritten just a tad, it could be pretty good. It would be nice to find a widescreen copy of this movie, but a full screen I really wouldn't mind either. The dubbing to English is horrible, but enjoyable. This is one of those kind of films, that is B-rated, yet still enjoyable to watch, like The Crawling Eye.
David Silliman
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The film was banned in Japan when an Anti-nukes group complained. It was originally 114 minutes, but Toho's international version is 90 minutes and you can find it on the web with Dutch subs. Americans ALWAYS mutilate these films. The americanization or bastardization which is known as Last Days of Planet Earth has everything that makes sense and links everything is edited out.
barry kaufman
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Out of curiosity, I searched Last Days of Planet Earth and badmovies.com was one of the first listings on the search engine. Badmovies.com is as superfluous and annoying as the Medveds' "Golden Turkey Awards". The type of criticism that approaches older, lower budget films as inferior and takes cinema completely out of cultural context.  Mostly a product of the film brat generation, which loves to label unworthy films as "cheesy"(I hate that word), yupster "bad movie" lovers wouldn't know an inspired film unless somebody else told them.

That being said, Last Days of Planet Earth is certainly a flawed film. But while it is clumsy at times, the oppressive atmosphere of dread and pessimism make this an oddly compelling piece. There are some impressive special effects (the chain reaction traffic jam explosion), and some not-so-impressive ones (the little girl who can jump 20 feet into the air). My main complaint is that the tacked on conclusion following the nuclear holocaust and grotesque radioactive mutant feeding frenzy is a cop-out.

Finally, the atrociously dubbed dialogue is the fault of domestic and/or UK distributors, and has nothing to do with the Japanese film as it was originally produced.

grin
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

There is one thing this movie teaches us.

If the Concorde ever explodes in midair it will destroy the Ozone Layer.

No really. Go run screaming from your homes! You must see this movie. As dumb and cheesey as it apears today, it's also quite good and artsy in parts. Chilling too.

No...wait.....yeah it was just bad.
Steven
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It's one of those fun bad movies. It's horrible, yet, you can't stop watching it. I am even thinking about trying to find it, and buy it myself.
minjofu
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

As kooky as this film was, I remember catching the last part of it, the part with the little mutant people, at like 3 am one night.. well, I woke up to them on my television rather, and for some reason they creeped the ever loving crap out of me..

.. well, so did the monkey people at the beginning of 2001:ASO ..   
annoymous
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »

When this was made it was not ment to hammer in the message that you need to protect your environment, in fact the movie was actually based off of a book in Japan and was just ment as a cautionary diaster movie. The last days of planet earth version screws this up and makes it all doom and gloom, plus this version is missing about 26 mins of footage from the uncut 114 minute version of the film which can be only rarely seen because it was banned in Japan, and the dubbing doesn't help any either as film is based on performances and the dubbers usually don't give 100%, so don't be so hard on the japanese who made the film be hard on the film distributors who released this pile of crap.
annoyomous
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »

If you get the chance to see the international version you will be able to sort of get the movie as it was originally released but a few scenes have been deleted out of the international version and then even further cut in the last days of planet earth cut, now originally in the uncut version we are shown the past desendants of Dr. Nishiyama being persecuted for his belief in the prophecies of nostradamus, a female narrator replaces the narrator in last days of planet earth who reads out the prophecies in a creepy mannner. There's a subplot in the uncut version were Nishiyama's assistant is having a kid, but the kid ends up dying of pollution, this connects to the scene with the pediatrician talking about the deformed babies and weird shots of wife and assistant later. This subplot is in neither the international cut or the last days cut. The narrator narrates less in the international version, the slug scene was re-edited showing things multiple times over in the last days cut, nudity on the boat scene with mariko was cut from last days, cannibalism was cut out of the new guinea scenes including two natives shown eating one of the explorers in the bed, the cave scene with the discovery of the past search group was a little more graphic with  nishiyama removing some of the skin off of one of the mutated scientists. The scene with mariko on the beach is cut to seem that she is crazy, but she is not, dialogue between the dying wife and nishiyama was cut and a speech by the prime minister were both cut from the international version and last days cut, the montage at the end of last days is not in the international version. The first meeing between mariko and her boyfriend a a dancing studio was cut also. By the way elvis' name is actually Akira or  something like that. If you look on youtube and typein La find du monde  D'apres Nostradamus you will find videos of the weird french cut to this film, its in french with no subtitles so it will be a litle hard to understand.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Last Days of Planet Earth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.