Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:41:41 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Lake Placid « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Lake Placid  (Read 83286 times)
Paul Westbrook
« on: February 15, 2000, 12:40:28 PM »

This movie was in fact, actually very good. It is exciting, as is Bridget Fonda to look at. I got this movie, along with a low budget film called Crocodile. Anyone heard of it?
Goreomedy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2000, 02:40:27 AM »

David E. Kelly should be drawn and quartered for this film.  My eyes strained from rolling, about the third time Fonda was thrown out of a vehichle.  The only snicker came from the line, "You s**tf**k."  David E. Kelly is certainly that...
Josie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My friends and I had a terrific amount of fun with this movie... not that the movie itself was particularly good, but thanks to Steve Irwin, the MST possibilities of anything featuring a giant crocodile are wonderful!  "Crikey!  My toe!"  "Crikey!  My head!"  "Crikey!  My bottom half!"

The fact that we'd had a lot of Mt. Dew before hand (and that we'd just seen 'Mortal Kombat') may have something to do with the fact that we found this so entertaining...
Gareth
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This is a great movie. Funny, well-writen and exciting, but not stupidly violent. The greatest thing is that crocodiles have been known to grow that big...

And to the review of sometime before, the difference betweeen crocs and gators are many, but basically gators have rounder, blunter jaws and crocs longer, narrower ones. Crocs grow much bigger and are more aggressive and dangerous.
Chicago Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2000, 01:07:32 AM »

Some people try to make a good bad movie and fail
this one didn't. If you check thier web page it was all suppose to be tongue and cheek. And I love when Bidgette Fonda keeps getting hit with heads!

Dave from MonsterIsland
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2000, 09:53:48 PM »

I love this movie...not only is it "set" in my home state but it features one of the best lines ever in a movie....Betty Whites: "If I had a dick this is where I would tell you to suck it!"

Can't beat that!

Paul H.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2000, 10:36:38 AM »

After barely resisting the urge to kill everyone in the room with my bare hands I settled down for the last 2/3rds of this movie.  And all I have to say is Holy Smit.  This is one of the best bad movies of resent times.  It is even better than Deep Rising.  The lines and character interactions  play a fine line with driving you insane.  But in the end this movie is near perfect.  Thanks to Betty White and Oliver Platt.  When the bear shows up I swear you can metaphysically hear someone yell "Cue the Bear", "Action".
JON4474
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2000, 05:44:10 PM »

Lake Placid makes for a decent video rental. However, I saw it in the theaters because I'm a sucker for giant animal/monster movies with up-to-date special effects. Written by David E. Kelley, this movie feels more like a T.V. movie than the big scale summer film it could have been. It does have the best crocodile eating bear scene ever put on film. The special effects are good but don't amount to much in the end. The finale feels very anticlimactic. You can tell the movie strives to be bigger, but doesn't deliver the goods. I enjoyed Lake Placid because I'm into these type of films, but I'm disappointed in all the lost possibilities.
Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2000, 07:40:48 AM »

Prety bad parody of the monster-on-the-loose films of the 1950's. LAKE PLACID is okay in my book, but when you watch it once you don't want to watch it again for it's uncontrolable badness and horrible dialouge.
Chris K.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2000, 07:34:06 AM »

LAKE PLACID can reach the good film standards, but it acts as if the giant alligator-on-the-loose-and-eating-people story was never used. Wrong! The giant alligator(or giant crocodile in other films) was used in THE GREAT ALLIGATOR(1979),CROCODILE(1980), ALLIGATOR(1980), ALLIGATOR 2(1983), KILLER CROCODILE(1988), and KILLER CROCODILE 2(1989). But LAKE PLACID is not that bad of a film. An example of bad flms would be the remakes of both THE HAUNTING, THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, PSYCHO, and regular films like THE MATRIX, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, and others. The special effects on LAKE PLACID range from substandard to horrible, the performances are not even close to effective, and the story is too slow. But their is a good twist ending, otherwise LAKE PLACID is a film that you definately need to pass.
Kaoslord
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2002, 10:06:11 PM »

I just liked the part where they haul the crocodile away in an open truck bed.  I kept wondering what I would do if I was driving down the interstate and say a truck hauling a croc that size.
Mike
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Lake Placid was great.  I saw it in the theaters the first day it came out.  The best part was when it grabbed the bear and ripped it into the lake, aand the bear tried to fight back but it couldn't,,,AAAAAHHHHH.  I happen to be a big fan of monster movies of all types, cheesy or not, that's probably why I like it so much.
Chadzilla
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Lake Placid disappointed me, made me angry, annoyed me, and, sometimes, entertained me.  The only reason I would watch this sorry movie again would be to watch the fine animatronics created by Stan Winston, but the CGI croc is not very realistic.  The "twist" ending p**sed me off.  It was a lazy writer and film crew trying to have it boths ways, you cannot kill and save the monster at the same time.  If I see one more swearing old lady I'm gonna puke, it's neither funny nor shocking.  It's BORING.  The characters were irritating, especially Bridget Fonda as Ally McBeal.  The best acting in this movie was Brendan Gleason as the sheriff, he brought such a wounded dignity to his part, or maybe it was just his melancholy at being in such a stink bomb of a movie showing through, that I felt he was a far superior example of a human being than all the other characters.
Tequila
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Oh come on! How come Brendan Gleason didn't get a name check in the Characters section? After the General, MI2, Braveheart, Michael Collins, The Field etc, he's surely name enough. I mean, if you're gonna list Oliver Platt as a selling point. Jesus....
Anyway, this is a great movie in the same vein as Tremors (why is that film not reviewed on this site???) in that it's a movie thats about people bickering that just happens to have a giant animal and the odd bodypart floating around in it. Some great lines too. "I just have this feeling that everything is totally safe..." (Cue the croc)
MATT
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie was good and bad,
The theme was all there,but where was the action,I remeber my alltime favorite croc film called"crocodile" I think<it was an old film>and  the film would let you see the people getting swallowed and that would scare the heebies outta me,but thats what I think people like,there was a good sexy theme aswell.
I,d give it 6/10

matt
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Lake Placid « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.