Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:37:51 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Angry Red Planet « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: The Angry Red Planet  (Read 164074 times)
Tojo
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I am a 50 something avid fan of the old sci-fi movies, " Angry Red Planet" may seem cheesy to the younger crowd but very little was known about mars or what if any kind of lifeforms would be encountered. This movie and "Robinson Cusoe on Mars" are still my favs on the subject of Mars.
My grandson who is 8 still thinks the Batratspidercrab is one of the coolest monsters he's seen. It's so bad it's Great!
Manuel Antares Richard Sanchez
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Poor Jack Kruschen, the planet Mars just doesn't agree with him. He gets blasted to pile of ashes when he tries to make friends ('The War of the Worlds'), rendered a thug and sidetracked to Venus ('Abbott and Costello Go to Mars'), and had for dinner when he finally drops in for a visit('The Angry Red Planet'). "Angry-at-the-Red-Planet" should justly be his mantra. Sheesh!

The Nora Hayden school of dramatic emphasis: pause before uttering the last word of any important...      ...line! "Sounds so foreboding," doesn't it?

Not HAL, not IBM, but Burroughs!

Standard issue interplanetary space wear: penny loafers! (a friend pointed that one out to me)

"To hell with radiation!" -?!?!- Now that's one fearless person or someone perhaps too desperate for the opposite sex!

If the martians could prevent our hapless crew from lifting off the surface of Mars, why did they not stop the original trespass that got their antennae so in a twist? Maybe the martians were asleep, I mean, what with all that "millennia" of watching us. 60 winks (remember they have "three bulging eyes") proved just too irresistible I guess.

And speaking of the martians, is it only a population of one? I don't know, maybe it's someone who prefers when addressing others, the use of the editorial "we", like royalty on Earth.

"Here's another 'if'": if the spaceship is steadily accelerating at "1G" and the travel time to Mars is 47 or 49 days (I've forgotten which it was), just how fast would the crew be traveling by the end of that period, and how far from Earth would their craft actually be?

Less Les. I suppose "Irish" disposed of Gettel, flushing him out into space, where his disembodied voice would one day, far in the future, recount for the movie going audience of 1956, the interstellar achievements of the human race ('Forbidden Planet'). How prescient of her.

In 1959, I was five and a poltroon, watching 'The Angry Red Planet' with cowardly fascination from my vantage place behind a theater seat. I loved every minute. Today, of course, it's different: I'm fifty one.
Bob the mutant chicken
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I remember reading in one of MELCHIOR'S books that there was surpose to be a giant flying reptile in this movie but it was taken out because of the budget.That would of been cool if they just kept it in.Also the BATRATSPIDERCRAB was surpose to be a ONE EYED SNAKE.Anyway I enjoyed this movie bad effects and all the scene where IRIS gets grabed by the PLANT MONSTER was my favorite scene you can actually see her wrapping herself in it's tentacles that was very hilarious.Everyone should have this movie in thier collection.Glad they stuck with the BATRATSPIDER it wouldn't been a great movie without KING KONG'S big brother.
Ghastley Gilbert
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The so called Cinemagic invention was to mellow out the rather crappy drawings used at the beginning to show the Martian landscape. Don't get me wrong, I love this flick. It's one of my all-time favs. As a matter of fact I paid through the nose to buy it on DVD then found it at Walmart for 7 bucks.
rob r
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I noticed a small detail the last time I saw this on cable.The seats in the ship were actual jet ejector seats.I think the manufacturer (Weber?) was even thanked in the credits.Too bad these bozos didn't use them.
marlon the monster
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »

I dont care how you try to justify it but freezing someones eyeballs is just plain wrong.Other then that an enjoyable movie.
Alan Gutierrez
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

As one who owes his career to Science Fiction, and artistic design, I think the Bat Rat Spider Crab is one of the top 10 designed monsters of all time! While at Art Center College of Design, I was taught by one instructor that good ideas are "making the strange familiar, and the familiar strange" That's what makes BRSC so good, taking familiar images (repulsive in this case) and rearranging them into a new design. As an artist in the SF field, I've tried to live by that creed 25 years since my BFA in Illustration and hundreds of SF book covers.
lumal
New Visitor

14?

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 02:45:31 AM »

ibMELCHIOR.com has a lot to say about this stuff
Ib is 89 and still writing. He's a very interesting fellow.

We R selling the orginal shooting script on Ebay and they are studing it and USC & UCLA film school.

THX 2 the Nasa Mars guy. We get a lot of this regarding ARP. 4 it's time and even now oin context.

Kirk Maillet
lumal.com
316zombie
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

i love this movie! the effects are amazing,especially for their time period!the solarizing of the matte pics and the marionettes really creates a wonderfully eerie atmosphere,if you know how to appreciate the art and the design involved in creating this effect.many professors of film use this movie as a tool to teach their students about the advances in film making throughout its history.as to the dialog and acting,well sure,they weren't fabulous,but they fit the film very well!it was never meant to be a classic,but it is,on any number of movie lists.can you name a better scifi movie from the same time period?i doubt it!
damnote
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

This was one of the first B-Movies I saw as a kid. I still love it and I don't get bored. Out of all the "Mars" movies out there this one still takes the cake as a great example of what we all thought Mars would be like.....far out!
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »

This film provides an invaluable lesson for all aspiring female astronauts: Girls, when preparing for your first EVA, don't forget your purse!
Remember the first words the General says when she staggers out of the ship when it lands on earth...
"Its the girl!"
Not 'Doctor'...whats her name...just 'Its the girl!"
Yeesh...
and yeah, Sam has Waaaaay too much affaction for his gun.
Sam remember...
"This is my wepon, this is my gun..."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

Who would win in a fight Rat-Bat-Spider-Crab or Man-Bear-Pig?

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
TERESE
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »

I LOVE this movie.  It came out the year that I was born.  I found it on TV on a late night about 15 years ago.  About 10 years ago I bought the VHS.  My family thinks it is horrible and think it is torture when I make them watch it!   BounceGiggle Lookingup
MTMTexas
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »

Saw this movie at a Sarurday Matinee.
I was 11 years old.
When they finally showed the rat-bat-spider-lobster, a girl sitting two seats away jumped up and wrapped her arms around me and hid her face in my shoulder while her friends screamed their heads off.

GOSH I miss the old Walker Theater in Brooklyn!!

Ciao
Mr Reptilian!
New Visitor

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »

Why couldnt she see the top of the top of the Batratspidercrab before she started wacking? The red effect made my eyes real sore when I first saw this movie.A very terrible movie but funny as hell.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Angry Red Planet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.