Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:15:59 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Car « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: The Car  (Read 90147 times)
Leon
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This was an alright movie. It was missing a begining, and didn't end. They need to make "The Car 2", bad! The crazy horn was the coolest part.
Paul H.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2000, 01:22:16 PM »

I loved this movie when I was younger and they showed it on T.V. every three months.  It is not really scary but more eerie.  I have not seen this movie in 15 years so I might not hold up as well today.  Nevertheless, I think this movie has several things going for it and it is a all around mildly intertaining film worth watchiing on tv on a sunday when you are under the age of 15.   2.75- 3 green globs.  (is that noncommital enough for you)

A little slow but done with care.  So you have to give it some credit. It has a permanent spot in my good memories.
James Hepler
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2000, 07:56:47 PM »

Yeah, I can remember seeing this a few times on TNT.  Personally, I thought it was good as far as killer car films go.  The whole demon car flying through the house four feet above the ground was kinda cool.  I also liked the flame mouth with the tongue thing (I believe that's what yer Rolling Stones on fire thing is about) after they crushed the car, and how the credits roll and you heard a car engine start.
Rob Heiser
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2000, 09:40:57 PM »

Well, I was a little wary of leaving a positive comment here, but since I'm not the only one...OK, I admit it, I love this movie.  But still I knew this guilty pleasure of mine would end up here someday!  Yes, it's a silly premise - I mean, was Satan bored?  Tired of causing war & famine & possessing little girls?  Hankerin' for a Sunday drive?  Apparently, but regardless, I love this movie.  And quite frankly, I think it's aged a lot better than other, more noted, movies.  Tried to watch DUEL lately?  Yes, I know it's largely a one-man show so they're necessary, but Dennis Weaver's voiceovers are still just plain pathetic.  Or how about KILLDOZER?  Oh, please...or CHRISTINE?  Sorry, but I think it's more of a geek's wet dream than a horror movie.  Meanwhile, these guys took a really silly idea and gave it all due care and respect.  The sound effects are perfect, the cinematography very effective in making a sedan look threatening, and with the exception of the obnoxious overacting of Ronny Cox, the performances are all appropriately subdued.  And The Car itself - if the devil ever did need a ride to the airport, I'm convinced he'd climb in the back of this badass George Barris custom.  
Boz824
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2000, 02:09:39 PM »

I saw this movie on the SciFi Channel a while back. Though the scenes where the car was actually doing something were a dose of eyecandy, I agree that there were some very long dead spots in the movie. This movie should have taken some lessonds from other movies with goofy premises such as "The Blob" and spent the entire movie showing people being chased by the antagonist. To hell with writing dialogue and developing an intricate plot, it's time for these movie makers to start realizing the strengths and weaknesses of their genre and give their fans more of the good stuff (The Pumpkinhead series springs into memory at this). I dunno.
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2000, 05:10:34 AM »

One of the few times I agreed with a reviewer in my local paper was when said critic pointed out that the "rules" in "The Car" are horribly flexible; for example, the demon-car can sail four feet off the ground without a ramp (when it takes out Kathleen Lloyd), but can't even attempt to take a moderately-steep incline (at the climax). It can sneak into a garage, but can't catch kids on foot. Whoof.

Favorite bit: James Brolin's character is too stupid to stand clear of a car door, but is still standing at the film's end, in spite of The Car wasting SEVERAL opportunities to run his ass over.

There are several other death-machine movies mentioned here; I'd like to add the equally bad "The Hearse" and "Wheels of Terror." This almost qualifies as its own genre!
Warren H.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2000, 07:50:12 PM »

In case anybody is wondering, The Car is a radically customized (1960s era) Lincoln.  It is cut down from four doors to two, has a chopped top, and (of course) the front fenders and fascia were worked over.  Given the way the big car moves, I would say it is powered by at least a 429 big block or, possibly, a 460.  (That would be the cylinder displacement for all you non-car-knowlegeable people.)
wytshark@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2000, 03:32:23 PM »

I have to weigh in with my own positive review here. I loved this movie as a kid--probably the best of the cheesy Jaws clones so popular at the time. And, well, call me crazy, but it still remains one of my favorite flicks. Granted, there is a lot that has to be overlooked--not the least of which is a premise that is, at best, ridiculous--but if you can forgive that (plus ignore some stiff lines and a few dry spells), what you'll find is a well put together little thriller. And I agree with the earlier reviewer who thinks The Car has aged well--especially when you see it widescreen on DVD.
ebolamonk@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2000, 10:54:14 AM »

There's something fundamentally enjoyable about any 70s B-movie, no matter how bad it is.  This is a perfect example.  By all rights, this movie should suck ass, but it rocks.  I love that car.  Wonder where I could get one...
tmp
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

just 'cause I am bored- The Car is a 70's Mark III Continental, not a sedan.  "Barris TV & Movie Cars" has a spread on it.  I read the book when it came out and I would like to get another copy.  You said I can't borrow it- how 'bout if I ask pretty?
Goomba88
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2000, 01:53:28 PM »

I loved this movie in 1977, I love it now. It's not a movie of story, it's a movie of moments. I mean, how much logic do you want from a less-than medium budget horror film where the devil incarnates himself as this Hellified Powercar of Destruction. I thought it hade some very good moments, not totally ridiculous personalazation of the characters, and, once again, that Hellified Car. I can still close my eyes at any time and have a crystal clear view of it's image. Really, there are only a dozen or so movies that I can say that about. And it contains one of my favorite lines from any movie, spoken by James Brolin (because we all may not have said it, but at some point we have all thought it), "What happened to last Thursday?....I had it made last Thursday."
Chemosh
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Unlike what the review says in more than one place, this takes place in Utah. Not southern california. The town that is being terrorized is Santa Ynez, Utah.

I remember seeing this movie countless times as a kid and enjoying the car parts and being bored out of my mind during the rest.

The last time this was on, I was stationed in Utah and I prayed that there were more cars like this to take care of all the bad drivers there.
Paul
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2000, 05:14:48 PM »

If I remember correctly, "The Car" was set in Utah, not Southern California.
Georgiann
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Well, it's no "Duel", and you have to swallow your disbelief when The Car flies through a house window to kill someone, but you have to admire the guts of a movie that kills off its heroine and the car itself is really pretty cool.  
Chadzilla
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2000, 12:54:46 PM »

This horror vehicle (ha ha ha) wins a 5 slime rating from me.  It is one of my most cherished guilty pleasures from the seventies (1977 was the releases date, not 1983 as stated at the top of the review).

In response to a question of the Message Board I stated that I have always wanted The Car for my very own.  I also told a small story that I will repeat here...a writer friend of mine went to an auction held by car customizer George Barris.  He was selling off most of the movie cars and bikes in his lot.  One item was his remaining Car from this movie (there were only two built).  The poor thing could no longer run and the rear axle was bent, making a wheel lift and fall as it turned.  The Car was pushed out and photographers gathered around to click photos.  Still true to its nasty roots The Car managed to roll over the toes of one photographer.  When that individual shrieked my friend stood and screamed "It's cursed!"  Sadly no one got the joke.

In response to Paul Westbrook's copycat CARR statement, The Car came first so it was the copied item, not the other way around.

Also I have read the long, long out of print novelization by screenwriters Dennis Shyrack and Michael Butler (Lane Slate evidently did credited rewrites) and it offers an interesting perspective on the story.  The supernatural aspects are expanded nicely (is The Car an evil Indian spirit attacking the White Man Invader, is it SATAN?) and the panic of Santa Ynez's residents are explored (something that was glossed over in the movie).  Also the ending is far, far more ominous and downbeat; and Wade gets a sanity shaking glimpse at the driver's eyes during his tense face off on the road (before getting whacked by the door).  Good luck in hunting it down.

No it is not for sale.  No you cannot "borrow" it.

I saw The Car during its debut run in theaters at, appropriately enough, the drive-in on a double bill with Jaws!  I forced my family to stay until the very end, someting they still have not forgiven me for.

Also certain apologists say that this movie is supposed to be a satire of Jaws and not a "serious" horror movie.  Somehow I don't think that is true.

Nuff said, bye.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Car « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.