Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:40:03 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Car « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Car  (Read 89974 times)
J.W.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2000, 09:10:39 PM »

I have to say that I like this movie alot. When I saw it in the video store I had to get it. I can pick it apart to like why did Wade close the garage door and lock it then end up jumping out the window? And if Lauren could hear the damm car's engine why didnt she look out the window? And the one that really gets me is how many engines does this car have? You can hear an engine idle while the other one is reving up. Well its all in fun anyway. A movie I liked as a kid and as an adult. I really came to this site to try to find out where the car was now and if it has its own web site with pics. If anyone knows feel free to let me know so I can check it out! SLYDER_35@webtv.net  
Chris
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2000, 05:32:58 PM »

This flick p**sed me off.  How dare those idiots wreck a bunch of classic Plymouth Furies to make a turkey like this.  I think whoever authorized this one deserves a serious ass-kicking.  
Anthony Bannon
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I recently added a comment about this pic on the Internet Movie Database.  You're certainly right about a lot of the characters in this film: they suck! The real star of the show is The Car, and I'm glad you guys listed it among the characters as it has more personality than most of the humans here.  When that metal monster is onscreen, the film really works, and fortunately for us, it's onscreen a lot!
Kristi Howard
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Well, I grew up a fan of this movie, and still am.  I own a VHS copy even.

My family, especially my dad, are Ford fanatics, and being this car was a customized 1969 Lincoln Mark II (not III)...one of the cars he's always wanted...well, he watched it a lot for the car.  ;-)

But, don't we all have a special movie that we just can't watch enough, no matter how lame it could be?

On a +++ note...my friend, who is very picky about lame stuff...liked this movie...and she's even a Chevy fanatic!

I told her up front that the movie would feel corny...but that was the 70's, and she thought it was cool.

I mean, wobbly tombstones, changing scenes with a kid holding a band hat in front of the screen, and a "halfway" intriguing storyline make this movie seem a bit odd...but, if you put yourself back into the 70's...for the day, it was pretty good stuff, IMO.

J.Noble
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one of my all time favorite movies, bad parts and all. It left an incredible impression on me when I first tried to watch it on late night TV way back in 1987. I was 11 years old and too freaked out while watching it hunt down the two bikers. I finally lost my nerve and turned it off. It's still a creepy film for me today if I let myself get into it. The movie, while having long talky parts with no action and some cheesy sped up chase scenes, still does a good job of keeping a real sense of dread. That the movie didn't explain why or where the Car came from is the very reason why it is such a creepy film. By the way, someone above posted about an episode of Knight Rider. There is an episode of Knight Rider that featured an "evil" twin of KITT, KARR. Furthermore, that episode actually borrowed the scene of the Car (from the movie) driving off the cliff and falling through the air. This didn't work too well for me being that an '80s Pontiac Trans-Am and a big square Lincoln Mark III don't resemble each other too well.      
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

painful-bad, not funny-bad.  maybe the recent video remaster is better but god was this movie DULL.  i remember taping it off the sci-fi channel a year or two ago for a friend who wanted to revisit his nostalgic youth (and unfortunately didn't have cable), and couldn't believe how boring and ugly-looking 'The Car' was.  the director... obviously held dull browns and murky greens as colors close to his heart, and on top of that couldn't film a scary scene to save his life.  reportedly this movie had a big budget for the time... a notion that's more hilarious than anything within this crapper.  Good going, Mr. Brolin: with this and 'The Amityville Horror,' you're batting 2 for 2 in the world of s**tty horror. :)
peter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2001, 01:07:27 AM »

great movie i own a 17 and a half foot exact replica or the car and i must say the thing is just evil............
Morgan Hoyle-Combs
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

That's a 1969 Lincoln Mark III Casper! But, Why? Why a 1969 Lincoln Mark III? Why not a 1938 Phantom Corsair? It's tough, mean, slick, has a great body, and still looks like a "big upsidedown bathtub"!
felicity
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

the car is fantastic & the best thing about it is the way it beeps at you before it moves in for the kill. I can still hear that rhythm whenever I think of the movie - which I haven't seen in a while. Recommend it highly!
Robert
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw The Car when I was very young and it scred the pants off me.I never saw the movie again until I was 28.I thought it sucked.But I did like the the car itself and the sound of the engine.I know that car probably don't exist anymore but if it did I would love to see it.Christine was a sharp ride and I would own a Fury,but the car was unique in it's own way.I wish Hollywood would make e sequel or a remake using the original car (or a reproduction)but a better story line,a well written script and even some of the same actors.It would be cool:"The Car Returns".I know,wishful thinking.
IRIE
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

If anyone has any info on the where-abouts of the original steel car - please E-mail me  - George Barris told me in person that it's stored away in a warehouse.

There is also a replica around somewhere in the USA.

If there is any info please drop me an E-mail

Thanks, and keep this movie alive!!

IRIE...
Rob Heiser
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

For those who are wondering, I remember seeing in Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine back in the '80s that this and several other George Barris vehicles were auctioned off.  Sadly, the worst thing is that I remember VERY CLEARLY that the selling price on this one was pathetic - a few thousand dollars!  Hell, I'd have bought it myself!  

Happily, Ertl's just come out with a 1/18 scale model as part of their American Muscle Entertainment series.  Check ebay or Ertl's website...
Casper
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hey, I've noticed alot of people have a couple of facts wrong about the actual car itself. I'm not being a dick, I just wanted to clear a couple things up. Its a 1971 Mark II Lincoln (not a '69). And it had a 455 big block. I've actually been in contact with Brett Barris at Barris Kustoms, Inc. over the past couple of weeks looking for replicas of the car. He said that for Barris Kustoms to build another one would cost me $85,000 and thats with me supplying the Lincoln. Anyways, I absolutely love this movie, even though it may be a little cheesy...I don't care.
KwaK
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My boyfriend sent me a link to this site and it absolutely made my day.  I attended college in the small Utah community that served as the base for filming of "The Car" and was hired as a stand in.  I ended up doing some stunt doubling and I can even see myself in the video clip!  What a hoot.  I still have my "The Car" t-shirt that James Brolin bought for each member of the cast and crew.  For years I tried to get this movie on video but it wasn't available.  Then I received a copy for Christmas this past year.  What memories!  Until today I didn't know The Car had any fans!  I thought we used three identical cars in filming.  They were pretty cool.  I seem to remember that the rear wheels could be turned like front wheels--it could spin tight circles in one spot.  At the end of the day when I'd go back to my apartment, I swear sometimes I could hear that car engine and that horn.
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one of the best monster movies ever made!!!  This is to the 70's what "Tremors" is to the 80's.  I've seen it millions of times since I was kid and this movie's got it all - plot, characters, acting, and direction.  Slickly and seriously made, "The Car" scared the pants off me back then and it still impresses me now.  I always wanted a horn like that on my car when I grew up.  BAH B B BAAAAHHHH! B-B-B-B-B-BAAAAAHH!  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Car « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.