Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:52:47 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Krull « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Krull  (Read 89352 times)
Bohica
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2001, 09:29:50 AM »

Krull: The movie that defined a generation.
Paul F
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love these type of films, but this one shines of pure class. Britan's answer to Starwars, Good against evil. I can watch this film over and over, the slayers are the dog's and there overall look is slick. When I first saw the trailer that showed the slayers rising out of the water I remember thinking WOW. The fact that the slayers head split open and there brain jumps out and burrows into the ground(where the hell does it go to) was quiet disterbing for a six year old, even now I cringe to see the slayer pretending to be the seer and his nasty hands. But overall the film kick's ass with the great special effects and the music is ace, It's sad to think that they don't make them like this any more.
Dan
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Another guilty pleasure film. This one had it all. Lasers, aliens, magic, visionaries, philosophy, bugs in suits of armor. The music was stirring I somewhat repetitive.  My heart goes out to the poor gentleman who played the cyclops. His make up was impressive and I'm still tweaked to find out how the hell did he see ?
Fiona
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Yes, this was one of those films you vaguely remembered having watched and loved as a kid and thought no more of until you ended up at university with nothing better to do than buy cheap 80s movies and relive the glory. As a British viewer I was able to appreciate an additional dimension to the film. The young boy who is part of the bandits is the least well known member amongst them who's major role to date is a stall owner in Eastenders. Watch the look of fear on his face as the better known actors are butchered one by one. You should never have left Grange Hill, Tucker!
Lightsane
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie is the kind of thing you refer to obliquely in a book, and everyone who reads it wonders what you're talking about - except for two or three people who realize what you're talking about and go "hey, cool."
Roy Smith
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2001, 06:56:01 AM »

Lysette Anthony was absolutely sexy.  The fact the that any alien Beast with an unholy army would take her as his queen makes perfect sense.  If I had a teleport fortress I know I could get chicks!
Lucas Oiler
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

the first b-movie i ever saw, as a 5-6 year old child...but two days ago was the first time i saw it til the end. It was something damn unbelievable back then, i watched Krull with my father and the movie seemed terrifying and extremely dramatic to me. I was puzzled to see Colwyn have 2 friends in one scene and dozen in the next, i closed my eyes when he picked the Glaive and i stopped watching after the Doppelganger-Killing-Seer scene made me shiver and tremble :) Damn, i'd want to get it on dvd...too bad i dont've a credit card
Geist
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The Truth:

"Fire Mares!  Fires Mares can travel a thousand leagues in a day!"

In fact, they travel SOOOOOOOO fast, their hooves are flaming!  That's all you need to know about this movie.

Hehe.  Ok, its entertaining, but geez... "FIRE MARES?!!"

This movie's plot was a total freaking meltdown.  Let's start at the beginning. First we have an advanced alien race holding pep rallys in front of spot lights and fog machines before raiding towns of innocent folk.  Then we have "The Prince" totally unscathed show up at the castle of his bride.

King: I thought you came with 200 men
Prince: We HAD 200 men, only us 20 survived the slayer attack.

Hello?

If your army had suffered 90% casualties at the hands of an alien race, I'd be building a BUNKER or a fallout shelter NOT planning a wedding.  But they go for the wedding instead.  People beat on shields some chick puts fire in the Prince's hand and guess what? The aliens show becuase they've GOT TO STOP that wedding!

What!??

The castle and everyone is killed? Why weren't they  building bunkers like they should have been? Haven't they played StarCraft? But ITS OK because the old man of the mountains knows everything anyway and tells him that the symbol of his kingdom actually ISN'T just a symbol but actually the most powerful weapon on the planet. Too bad  SOMEONE hid it in a pool of lava and it doens't even freak'n work on the BEAST like its suppose to.  

No, we find out later that we need the POWER OF LUV! OK, back to the weapon thing. If you had an all powerful weapon and were being invaded by an alien race, would you:

a) hide it in a pool of lava on a mountain top
b)Hold it at the castle.  

They chose A. So after he gets the boomrang of death he marches off to see the wizard. He picks up some losers first and then meets the wizard.

Wizard: Don't use the glaive until you really, really need it.
Hero (Later):It didn't work!!!
Wizard (Later): Ha! Ha! Sucker!

At this point if I WERE THE HERO I'd pop a pretty important question, like:

Why shouldn't I use the ultimate weapon right freaking NOW (especially since later in the movie when I really, really need it, it won't work anyway)???

But this is OK because the Wizard says: The only way to find out where the beast's tower will appear will be to go the emerald temple... In the MIDDLE of a FREAK'N SWAMP.

OK question? If YOU were going to a build a multi-billion dollar temple where you would put it?

A) Near people who could use the facilities.
B) In the MIDDLE of a FREAK'N SWAMP.

OK, so he and the seven samarui go out. The wizard dies. GOOD. They fight some guys in rubber suits that move really, really slowly and their brains leap out when they die: "EAAHHRHHH!!!" What the freak is that about? Just weird! But that's OK.

Now help me with this:

The Old Man is going to visit his ex-wife, who can know anything. Which tells WHY they split in the first place. Anyway a giant spider is guarding his ex, so he gets the info, she dies, he dies. GOOD.

The bad news is that she tells him the castle will materialize tomorrow 1,000 leagues from here..."

"Fire Mares!  Fires Mares can travel a thousand leagues in a day!"

And so it goes...

And why did the beast go all Blurry during the final combat scene?!?  I saw this in the theatre when I was 12, and I thought that I had gotten popcorn butter on my glasses...

I wish I had.

P.S,  The video game rocked.
yuop
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Funniest movie of all time!  We were MST3K-ing this film a decade before we'd ever heard of MST.  It's a good movie for its own sake, and love those laser spears or whatever they are, but twice as funny when you roast it too.  Best moments:

* Old Seer looking like he dies of a major constipation problem.

* Asked what his greatest wish is, the Cyclops responds by saying "Fig Newtons"
the OLD one
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

If you don't understand Krull ,have you really contemplated eternity?
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie is definitely less than the sum of its parts.  And even after seeing it many times over the years I still can't pinpoint why.  While it has some very cool moments it just never escapes a strange stiffness to the proceedings.  Still, a good popcorn movie worth a watch.

Oh, and the first poster makes reference to a contest between this, Conan, and Beastmaster.  Despite much poorer production values relative to the competiton, I find Beastmaster to have the most compelling plot and characters.
David
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

God! How I love this movie! Everyone is familiar with the concept of "comfort foods". I have "comfort movies", and "Krull" is VERY high on that list. It cost $27,000,000.00 and I think every single penny shows on the screen. The sets and costumes are trully beautiful. James Horner's score is the equal of any ever composed for film( from the period you should also take note of his scores from "Wolfen", and "Something Wicked This Way Comes"). The cast is wonderful. Ken Marshall is gorgeous and heroic, and also gives quite a nice performance. Lysette Anthony is aristocratic and fairytale lovely. And Freddie Jones is brilliant, as usual, as the Ynir. His magnificent voice and presence lend a true and grand weight, and I've always found him to be the heart of the picture. His scenes with Francesca Annis as the Widow of the Web are genuinely moving. Which brings me to the special effects, almost all of which are brilliant(ok, so the ones in the final battle with the Beast are a little cheesy. They're still fun.). Ergo's morphing is excellent years before CGI came into film, and the scenes of the crystal spider are some of the finest stop motion I have ever seen on film, on par with any of Ray Harryhausen's exquisite work. No matter how many times I see the "Widow of the Web" scene it still exhilirates and astonishes me. Every other aspect of the film shines with this same extreme high quality. These things make "Krull" a trully great film, but there is another, more elusive quality that makes this film so precious to me. I cannot name it. I can only say that whatever it is this film purely, simply, and joyously makes me feel GOOD! It inspires, it satisfies, and it comforts me. Thank God for "Krull"!!!
Linmenel
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I loved this movie so much when I was a kid. I guess I'm just a sucker for happy-ending fantasy stories. I lvoed the fire horses though, I want one ^_^
Russ
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is the best movie ever!! I'm a sucker for wide-scale fantasy movies where the hero will stop at nothing to rescue his women!!
  I love the whole idea of the film. The set most of the way through is awesome, especially that of the spider's web.  Why don't they make films like this anymore? Are they too boring now? Movies like this rock. Oh, by the way, if there's any other Krull fans out there, I'd be happy to get in touch with yer! (Or fans of anything else which is cool and fun, like The Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Labyrinth, etc.). I need to find someone cool for a change.
Sheve
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Okay, so this movie is admittedly crap when it comes to quality, plot, etc.  Some part of me just doesn't really care at all because of the nostalgia involved. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Krull « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.